Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Johkal

Re: cat not eating

said by Johkal:

Cats often will not eat when they are sick. Hopefully the cat is drinking water. There is no way to force a cat to eat. Now, against better judgement, you could try giving the cat Fancy Feast canned food. This food is laughably called "kitty crack". A lot of cats go crazy for this stuff. It's not the preferable diet, but harmless for a quick fix. Just look at the labels & choose food in gravy with the ash content under 3%.

Why do you say Fancy Feast is bad? My ten year old cat eats a diet of one-half can of Fancy Feast fish and shrimp flaked and one-fourth cup of 4Health indoor dry food with the two combined in the evening. I used to feed Science Diet mature indoor dry but then 4Health became available and it has no corn/cornmeal and chicken is the main ingredient. I've read on many sites that have tried to analyze cat food that Fancy Feast fish and shrimp flaked is one of the very best wet foods (and 4Health gets praise also). These sites also warn against any other flavors of Fancy Feast.

NONE of the other Fancy Feast ones should be fed (except as a treat or in a case of sick cat not eating) because all of them except fish and shrimp flaked have liver byproduct usually as the second ingredient. The only flavor that immediately sells out in Target and Wal-Mart when they have sales on Fancy Feast is the fish and shrimp flaked. The stores simply can't keep it in stock but they have lots of all the bad ones all the time. So, I guess I am not the only person who has researched this or had their vet recommend it. My cat is so much happier since I have been feeding her a combination of wet and dry instead of all dry. Her coat has always been thick and nice but now it is more glossy.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to wolfy339
Our previous cat quit eating when she was old and unfortunately went on the Heavenly Express not long after.

She was estimated to be 14 years old. We didn't know her exact age as she was a stray.

Our current cat eats like a pig. You put down cat food and he'll be meowing for more once it's gone. He'll even be sniffing the kitchen counter and kitchen floor for food scraps.

You may want to get a second opinion from another vet in case the first vet missed something.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
reply to Mele20
For the best urinary care for a cat, the ash & magnesium percentage should be as low as possible. There are specialty brands that keep those percentages well below 2% for ash. Fancy Feast Like most grocery store brands are in the high 2.x % or over 3%.

Furrever Fur
Premium
join:2012-02-20
united state
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to wolfy339
Cats with severe kidney problems often don't eat, which makes the kidney disease turn far worse. If you're near a good petstore, try a premium pate food like Wellness. Warm it up to "mouse temperature" and maybe mix in some water. You might have to finger feed her.

ALSO, hydration is very important, especially to flush out toxins in the liver.

You really need to get her to a vet ASAP as cats crash easily from not eating for so long, plus the hydration concern. My vet prescribed "mirtazapine" as an appetite stimulant: 4mg tablets and she got 1/6th of a tablet daily. It works better than cyproheptadine or the generic version of vali*m (appetite stimulate for pets, lol).
Best wishes.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
reply to Johkal
This is not a male cat and she gets only 1/2 can daily so 1.5% ash.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
Even though it's more common in males that have been neutered, females can have issues as well.

mocycler
Premium
join:2001-01-22
reply to wolfy339
said by wolfy339:

Most of the meds we have for her are in pill form, we have a pill popper and pill pockets (especially useful for pills that need to be split in quarters or halves).

If the medication is in pill form, just grind the pill up and mix it with the food in the syringe.

As for what to feed her...don't fuss too much over what is "good" and what isn't. You're only feeding her small amounts to get her back to normal anyway. It's not like she's going on a regular diet of the stuff. Better to give her "crappy" food that she will eat than none at all.

The special food I mentioned in my last post cost $5 for a tiny little can! I was like, wow, how much of this superfood will I need? The vet said I should not need more than one or two cans to get kitty back on line. As things went, it didn't take even one can. I dunno what's in that stuff but after a few squirts from the syringe he was willingly eating his normal food like crazy.

Maybe he would have started eating on his own anyway, but if a $5 can of food helped him go back to it bouncing around the house like a little nut, then I'm cool with that.

wolfy339

join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA

4 edits
reply to Furrever Fur
said by Furrever Fur:

ALSO, hydration is very important, especially to flush out toxins in the liver.

You really need to get her to a vet ASAP as cats crash easily from not eating for so long, plus the hydration concern. My vet prescribed "mirtazapine" as an appetite stimulant: 4mg tablets and she got 1/6th of a tablet daily. It works better than cyproheptadine or the generic version of vali*m (appetite stimulate for pets, lol).
Best wishes.

Vet gave us Cyproheptadine as the appetite stimulant. As for hydration, that is why we are encouraging her to drink water and hydrating her once per day. She has been force fed some food to get Aluminum Hydroxide (Kidney failure medication) in her. Also starting to notice her moaning and I am wondering if that could be a sign that she is getting constipated as I have seen her urinate but not poop since we have started giving her the meds and force feeding her.

said by Mele20:

NONE of the other Fancy Feast ones should be fed (except as a treat or in a case of sick cat not eating) because all of them except fish and shrimp flaked have liver byproduct usually as the second ingredient.

Is liver byproduct bad for cats?

said by mocycler:

To jump-start his eating, the vet gave me some special canned food that stimulates the appetite. I filled a syringe (also from the vet) with a slurry made from the food mixed with milk, stuck it in kitty's mouth, and down it went without too much fuss. After a day or two he was eating on his own and fully recovered within a week.

Might have to see if my vet has something similar.

I am now noticing that she has not urinated yet today.
--
Computer: Antec 850w PSU, ASUS M4A89GTDPRO-USB3, AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2GHZ, ATI Radeon 5770, SB XFI Fatal1ty, 8GB Kingston DDR3, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, KIS 2012, Samsung SyncMaster 2443BWX, Frontier DSL 768/128 w/ Westell 6100 C90 & Linksys WRT120N

Danonyme

@b2b2c.ca

1 recommendation

Please, don't let the poor thing suffer. I waited too long for mine before having her put to sleep (she went from 12 to 4 pounds in a couple of weeks). Remember, cats are *very* good at hiding sickness. If she doesn't eat and urinate, she *is* sick. Mine was 17 (old fr a cat), but average for a cat is around 14-16 years, so 12 years is a good run (a human would be 70). Yes you will miss her, yes it will be painful, but think about *her* needs.

Please don't make the same mistake I made...

. .
>o

wolfy339

Edmonds, WA
said by Danonyme :

Please, don't let the poor thing suffer. I waited too long for mine before having her put to sleep (she went from 12 to 4 pounds in a couple of weeks). Remember, cats are *very* good at hiding sickness. If she doesn't eat and urinate, she *is* sick. Mine was 17 (old fr a cat), but average for a cat is around 14-16 years, so 12 years is a good run (a human would be 70). Yes you will miss her, yes it will be painful, but think about *her* needs.

Please don't make the same mistake I made...

. .
>o

Mine has dropped from about 14lbs to a little over 13. Trust me when I say this: For as much as I love my cat, and as much as I will miss her when she is gone, I want to see her live but I don't want to see her suffer needlessly.
--
Computer: Antec 850w PSU, ASUS M4A89GTDPRO-USB3, AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2GHZ, ATI Radeon 5770, SB XFI Fatal1ty, 8GB Kingston DDR3, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, KIS 2012, Samsung SyncMaster 2443BWX, Frontier DSL 768/128 w/ Westell 6100 C90 & Linksys WRT120N

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
How is she doing today? Any better?

wolfy339

Edmonds, WA
said by sashwa:

How is she doing today? Any better?

Hard to tell, she does not seem to be getting any better but she doesn't seem to getting much worse either. She did urinate either very late last night or very early this morning. Still having to force feed her, she was meowing earlier when she tried to walk on her own four paws but she is not doing that anymore. I am hoping it is a sign that she is getting better but I am not certain. I am also hoping that her seeming stable for now is also a good sign. Vet has scheduled a followup appointment for Friday.
--

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
That's good that she doesn't seem to be getting worse.

wolfy339

Edmonds, WA

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by sashwa:

Overall I'm trying to stay positive, given that I am seeing a few hopeful signs, but the hard part is the uncertainty.

wolfy339

Edmonds, WA
said by wolfy339:

said by sashwa:

Overall I'm trying to stay positive, given that I am seeing a few hopeful signs, but the hard part is the uncertainty.

Just a quick update: the meowing on walking is back, we hydrated her around noon today and she has not urinated since. Still trying to stay positive.
--

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Maybe hydrate her again?

wolfy339

Edmonds, WA
said by sashwa:

Maybe hydrate her again?

hmm, we are already giving her 150ml/day (what the vet recommended). She has been drinking a little from her water dish and we did give her some water from a syringe a few minutes ago.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
If she is drinking and getting water from a syringe she shouldn't have to be hydrated until tomorrow then.

Is she normally a talker?

Is she walking funny when she meows like she's in pain? Although cats don't always show their pain.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
reply to Hayward
said by Hayward:

Even one good one kidney disease is serious and not sure there is dialysis for cats.

Why dialysis? One good kidney is more than enough to remain self-sufficient.

Losing one simply means you have no backup left in case the other goes bad later and that's when you end up on dialysis waiting for a transplant.

wolfy339

Edmonds, WA

4 edits
said by InvalidError:

said by Hayward:

Even one good one kidney disease is serious and not sure there is dialysis for cats.

Why dialysis? One good kidney is more than enough to remain self-sufficient.

Losing one simply means you have no backup left in case the other goes bad later and that's when you end up on dialysis waiting for a transplant.

True, however, considering she has little energy to move around (likely from not eating unless force fed) I wonder if surgery to remove the kidney would help, much less dialysis (they have that for cats these days) or transplant. Either way, what we are talking about here can get rather expensive very quickly and I wonder to what end...only to prolong her suffering or to help her live? Bottom line is if it is her time it is her time and there is little I can do about that.

said by sashwa:

Is she normally a talker?

Is she walking funny when she meows like she's in pain? Although cats don't always show their pain.

She is sometimes rather chatty, othertimes not. Not noticing too much difference in her walk except that instead of going all the way to her destination she is going only a few paces at a time. The meowing right now seems to come when she sets herself down, earlier it was almost with every pace. With the force feeding its only enough to get the meds (phosphorus binder) down, but I suppose that is better than nothing for now. I think the three keys for this week are going to be food (force feeding if that continues to be necessary), rest (especially sleep), and hydration.
--

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to wolfy339
When I was younger I had three cats at the same time... the one that lived the oldest (17 years) was the one who was the sickest most often. Every few years we had to take him to the vet because of kidney problems. We fed him Science Diet I think. He would have kidney problems then we'd take him to the vet then he'd be fine for another few years, then repeat. Finally at the end, it just was getting worse and worse and his kidneys were failing.

Other two cats died of (probable) cancer at 14 and 15 years. The 14 year old cat was very healthy until weeks before her death. The 15 year old one was sick for about 10 months off and on, then died. I would have said the 14 year old cat could have lived until she was 30, but it's strange I guess.

wolfy339

Edmonds, WA
said by fartness:

When I was younger I had three cats at the same time... the one that lived the oldest (17 years) was the one who was the sickest most often. Every few years we had to take him to the vet because of kidney problems. We fed him Science Diet I think. He would have kidney problems then we'd take him to the vet then he'd be fine for another few years, then repeat. Finally at the end, it just was getting worse and worse and his kidneys were failing.

Other two cats died of (probable) cancer at 14 and 15 years. The 14 year old cat was very healthy until weeks before her death. The 15 year old one was sick for about 10 months off and on, then died. I would have said the 14 year old cat could have lived until she was 30, but it's strange I guess.

Sorry to hear about your kitties, have to say it is strange at times what happens with them.
--

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to wolfy339
Have you thought of feeding the cat a prescription diet for kidney disease. I know Hills has a prescription diet for kidney problems but the big issue is getting kitty to eat.

Mine is on a prescription diet for fat cats (15 lbs, peaked out at 19 lbs) and he eats anything he can.

This morning he was chewing on a bag of pretzels.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

wolfy339

Edmonds, WA

1 edit
said by IowaCowboy:

Have you thought of feeding the cat a prescription diet for kidney disease. I know Hills has a prescription diet for kidney problems but the big issue is getting kitty to eat.

Vet had the cat on weight managment dry food for a while, and recommended a switch to wet food (fancy feast) for kidney problems. Assuming we can get the cat to eat on her own again it would be worth, at that point, talking to the vet about options going forward for using diet (including the feeding of prescription food) for long-term managment of kidney disease.
--

Sly
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Chuckey, TN
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

IMO, if you are going to a vet who recommends Fancy Feast, you need to find a new vet. Fancy Feast contains animal byproducts (full of toxins such as sodium hydroxide), artificial flavors and colors. None of which are conducive for a healthy kidney. You need a natural, non fish based wet food that is grain free and contains no byproducts. Consider Merrick, Blue Buffalo, Newman's Own or any other premium food. Avoid Tuna! Fish is not healthy for cats... Chicken or any other bird is closest to their natural diet.

If you cat is dehydrated then you should be giving subcutaneous fluids. If the cat can not pee then it can not remove built up toxins either. Hydration is a matter of life and death and a simple syringe feeding may not be enough.

Have you had her checked for Kidney stones? Is there any blood in the urine? I hope your kitty gets better soon. I think you should get a second opinion from another vet...

wolfy339

Edmonds, WA

2 edits
said by Sly:

IMO, if you are going to a vet who recommends Fancy Feast, you need to find a new vet. Fancy Feast contains animal byproducts (full of toxins such as sodium hydroxide), artificial flavors and colors. None of which are conducive for a healthy kidney. You need a natural, non fish based wet food that is grain free and contains no byproducts. Consider Merrick, Blue Buffalo, Newman's Own or any other premium food. Avoid Tuna! Fish is not healthy for cats... Chicken or any other bird is closest to their natural diet.

If you cat is dehydrated then you should be giving subcutaneous fluids. If the cat can not pee then it can not remove built up toxins either. Hydration is a matter of life and death and a simple syringe feeding may not be enough.

Have you had her checked for Kidney stones? Is there any blood in the urine? I hope your kitty gets better soon. I think you should get a second opinion from another vet...

No blood that I have noticed in her urine when she has urinated on previous days, but have not had her checked for kidney stones. I am worried at this point also about the possibility of constipation. Should I be? She has had 238CCs (a little over a cup, I think we may be getting about half to three quarters of the water from the syringe down her) of water between hydration kit and syringe, she has not urinated today, I am worried. How much water should we try for? Why do you say fish is bad for cats? It may be time for a second opinion from another vet if things do not improve soon.
--

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
said by wolfy339:

fish is bad for cats

Fish is bad because its not part of their natural diet. It has a high amount of toxins IE mercury and can be addictive to cats. The toxins build up very fast in their systems because of there small size causing them damage. Dry food should never be given to cats because it has no water content and is very high in calories from carbs which is also not part of a cats diet. The cheapest store brand wet cat food is better the the best dry food you can buy. The key for a cat is Protein and hydration and very low carb IE no dry food. So give the cat whatever wet food it will eat until it gets better then find a GOOD wet food. But absolutely no dry food at all even the prescribed vet dry food.
--
Professional student pilot!

wolfy339

Edmonds, WA
said by Bruschi:

Fish is bad because its not part of their natural diet.

Hmm, another thing I didn't know. Had always assumed it was because cats eat it.

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
I would definitely get a second opinion.
--
Professional student pilot!

wolfy339

Edmonds, WA
said by Bruschi:

I would definitely get a second opinion.

Might be time. It's odd though, the place we have been taking her is called Cats Exclusive and so their only patients are felines.