Premium Member

to wolfy339

Re: cat not eating

dup
wolfy339
join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA

wolfy339

If getting a second opinion, what questions should I ask the vet?

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly

Premium Member

I would take the blood work with you. Vets all run the same blood panel but they can interpret the results differently. Mention the problems you are having with the cat. Problems urinating, etc. Mention what has been done so far. Ask about the possibility of kidney stones. Ask if subcutaneous fluids would be beneficial.
wolfy339
Edmonds, WA

wolfy339

Good suggestions. She seems to have full belly now. Not moving much in addition to not urinating or pooping.
wolfy339

wolfy339 to Sly

to Sly
Just wanted to post an update: I picked the cat up this morning and she was limp, like a rag doll. She will be taken to the vet to day, but atleast right now things are not looking good.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

So sorry to hear this, wolfy.
wolfy339
Edmonds, WA

wolfy339

If it's her time, its her time.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

That is true. I've always found that my guys usually tell me when it's time. They get that look in their eyes.
wolfy339
Edmonds, WA

wolfy339

I wouldn't say she had that look in her eyes this morning, but based on how limp she was I must wonder how much more can be done to really improve her health/quality of life -vs- just keeping her alive. I hope she can get better.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

Kilroy

MVM

At this point are you keeping her alive for you or her? It may just be time to let her go. It is a difficult decision to make, but her quality of life just doesn't exist and now you are just prolonging the inevitable.

Animals, like people, know when they have had enough and lose their will to live. Look her in the eyes and see if she is asking you to let her go.
wolfy339
Edmonds, WA

1 recommendation

wolfy339

said by Kilroy:

At this point are you keeping her alive for you or her? It may just be time to let her go. It is a difficult decision to make, but her quality of life just doesn't exist and now you are just prolonging the inevitable.

Animals, like people, know when they have had enough and lose their will to live. Look her in the eyes and see if she is asking you to let her go.

I am not at home right now, but part of me wants to see what the vet has to say... You bring up a fair question as far as whether I am keeping her alive for me or because I believe she will get better and you could be right as far as she may have lost the will to continue this fight and if that is so then it is her time. As I have stated in previous posts, I do not wish to see her suffer needlessly.
wolfy339

wolfy339

I just learned that my cat has passed on. The vet's office had not opened prior to her passing.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz
446.4 4.0

3 recommendations

sashwa

Mod

(((HUGS)))

May she rest in peace. She is no longer hurting.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to wolfy339

Premium Member

to wolfy339
I'm sorry to hear about your cat's passing.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to wolfy339

MVM

to wolfy339
Sorry bud to hear this. Always be thankful for the years you had with your little friend.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to wolfy339

to wolfy339
Sorry to hear the news.

Bruschi
Premium Member
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

Bruschi to wolfy339

Premium Member

to wolfy339
Thats terrible:( You did what you could, but it was her time.

Chuck22
Premium Member
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT

Chuck22 to wolfy339

Premium Member

to wolfy339
My heartfelt condolences.

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly to wolfy339

Premium Member

to wolfy339
I'm sorry to hear that. I know what it's like to lose a friend...
Expand your moderator at work

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

4 edits

Hayward0 to wolfy339

Premium Member

to wolfy339

Re: cat not eating

I appreciate you did not take offense to my first comment about age about human tendency to horribly extend life... in nature long gone, crawl off to just die, they would.

You can choose to spend $$$$ one maybe even a cursed puppy mill dog, but for how long?.... 12 years is a good lifetime.... I know hard to let go unless you have bottomless pockets and again for how much more time really as we do to ourselves at great cost.... vs what would really be likely life extending.?

Amd OK I have a large dog only type I would ever have (real dog not canine kittens) ... but not till I had a house with a yard,,, and aging and rear end (hip displacia) is failing.... yeah I could spend a lot of money where in nature not able to hunt would pass For all of us time comes

Then again I free adopted him... so you could say easy to let go vs spending THOUSANDS of dollars documented dogs can justifiably be... no at 12 just time is coming, Shane a loved companion has a few years left, increasingly difficult but still can climb on the bed with now some extra effort and giving him glucosomine supplement tto relive that and lubricate joints.... but no its just age and genetics ... again in nature unable to hunt anymore...would already be DEAD... he will have another few years without me artificially extending his pain to go...the horrible $$$$ dogs they just can't die for my huge investment mentality ... time comes to us all... Shane and I have shared great times and that is what counts when the endi naturally comes, again unless you have bottomless pockets and no regard for your companion just your investment you spent vs a just unconditionally loving might have been abandoned mutt.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

My grandma had a mastiff-lab mix that had to be put down because of arthritis that made it impossible for her to move. It was very sad and I had to drive grandma to the vet to have Delilah put down.

And Delilah and the malamute were best friends. The heartbreaking part of it is after Deliah went on the Heavenly Express is the malamute went looking for her.

Now the Malamute is getting up there in age along with the cat. The Malamute is now in my care.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to wolfy339

Premium Member

to wolfy339
I was reading down the page and was about to post that it sounds like her kidneys had shut down (no urine), then I got to the post where she has passed on.

Very sorry to hear that, I think you did all that was humanely and sensibly possible for her.

RIP kitty (I don't think you mentioned her name?), a new journey has begun for you.
La Luna

La Luna to wolfy339

Premium Member

to wolfy339
Here's another version of The Rainbow Bridge that I especially like:

According to Norse Legend, the sacred Rainbow Bridge called Bifrost connects Midgard (the realm of humankind) with Asgard (the realm of the Gods). Also known as Asabru ("Bridge of Gods"), Bifrost was magically constructed from fire, water and air...whose quivering and changing hues it has retained. Not only do the Gods use this Bridge to travel to and from the Earth, it also leads to the Urdar Well, situated at the foot of the great ash Yggdrasil, where they assemble daily in council.

Of all the Gods only Thor, God of Thunder, never passes over the Bridge for fear it might be demolished by his heavy tread and lightning bolts. The Watchman God Heimdall stands guard over over Bifrost night and day. Armed with a trenchant sword, he carries a trumpet called Giallar-horn, upon which he generally blows a soft note to announce the coming or going of the Gods. However, Heimdell is destined to sound a terrible trump at the dawn of Ragnarok...the time the Frost Giants will unite with Surtr to destroy the world. During Ragnarok...the end of the cosmos...it is said that Bifrost, the Rainbow Bridge, will collapse and shatter beneath the weight of the monsters.

The following poem is inspired by this Norse Legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.
wolfy339
Edmonds, WA

1 recommendation

wolfy339 to La Luna

to La Luna
said by La Luna:

RIP kitty (I don't think you mentioned her name?), a new journey has begun for you.

I didn't. Her name was Belle.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

said by wolfy339:

said by La Luna:

I didn't. Her name was Belle.

Run free at the Bridge Belle. *heart*