uniqs
share rss forum feed

wolfy339

join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA
reply to sashwa

Re: cat not eating

said by Johkal:

Cats often will not eat when they are sick. Hopefully the cat is drinking water. There is no way to force a cat to eat. Now, against better judgement, you could try giving the cat Fancy Feast canned food. This food is laughably called "kitty crack". A lot of cats go crazy for this stuff. It's not the preferable diet, but harmless for a quick fix. Just look at the labels & choose food in gravy with the ash content under 3%.

She has been drinking, atleast a little bit, we also have been hydrating her. She also has been urinating as well. We do have plain Fancy Feast (no gravy, she does not like the stuff with gravy). She also has been moving around on her own four paws.

said by sashwa:

My Vet has always recommended Baby Food turkey or chicken when my animals are on an eating strike. Make sure you get a brand that does not use onion in in it. Or you could try wet cat food.

Another thing you could try is force feeding her/him wet food. Wrap her securely in a towel and use a syringe to force the food down her.

Our vet also recommended the same thing with the baby food, however, baby food w/o onion/non-full meal is difficult to find. I have tried the force feeding, it seems to work and she seems to keep the food down, but would prefer not to do that if possible (i.e. I would like to get her eating on her own).
--
Computer: Antec 850w PSU, ASUS M4A89GTDPRO-USB3, AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2GHZ, ATI Radeon 5770, SB XFI Fatal1ty, 8GB Kingston DDR3, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, KIS 2012, Samsung SyncMaster 2443BWX, Frontier DSL 768/128 w/ Westell 6100 C90 & Linksys WRT120N

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

How about a bit of catnip? I know my cats get all wired up & crazy & then have to drink water & get the munchies.

wolfy339

Edmonds, WA

1 edit

said by Johkal:

How about a bit of catnip? I know my cats get all wired up & crazy & then have to drink water & get the munchies.

Good idea but not certain of how it would interact with the meds she is getting. Full list of meds: Antibiotic, probiotic, anti-nausea, appetite stimulant, phosphorus binder.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

Catnip is natural. Do a Google on interaction with catnip & xxxxx as see what you find.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to wolfy339

Either Gerber or Beechnut baby foods have no onions in it - I can't remember which one. Sorry my old brain can't remember.

Edit: I just did a search on Google and it seems to be the Beechnut Baby Food that does not use onion powder in their foods.

wolfy339

Edmonds, WA

1 recommendation

said by sashwa:

Either Gerber or Beechnut baby foods have no onions in it - I can't remember which one. Sorry my old brain can't remember.

Edit: I just did a search on Google and it seems to be the Beechnut Baby Food that does not use onion powder in their foods.

May be time to see if I can find some of that and give it to her. Bottom line here is she needs to eat something.
--
Computer: Antec 850w PSU, ASUS M4A89GTDPRO-USB3, AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2GHZ, ATI Radeon 5770, SB XFI Fatal1ty, 8GB Kingston DDR3, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, KIS 2012, Samsung SyncMaster 2443BWX, Frontier DSL 768/128 w/ Westell 6100 C90 & Linksys WRT120N
Expand your moderator at work