Search similar:

uniqs

Domane
Premium Member
join:2013-04-18

Domane

Premium Member

[Auto] Danica Patrick

Jenna Fryer, who covers NASCAR for the Associated Press, interviewed Tony Stewart about Danica Patrick. The short version is Tony told Ms. Fryer that he thought Danica Patrick had a lot of potential in NASCAR going forward. He offered explanations for her lack of success this past year. Patrick echoed his comments.

Here are Stewart’s comments and Ms. Fryer’s about Ms. Patrick:

»motorsportstalk.nbcsport ··· patrick/

IMO when you consider Patrick’s experience before coming to NASCAR and her incredibly dismal performance this year I find Stewart’s comments totally without merit. I sincerely wonder what he would say if Patrick wasn’t his teammate and he wasn’t being interviewed by a woman?

One only has to look at the numerous successful male drivers from Indy cars, F1, and other car classifications that either switched full or part-time to NASCAR or USAC stock cars and were very successful and competitive immediately.

The explanations for Patrick’s lack of success, (again given her overall performance), sound more like lame excuses than explanations about genuine potential.

Patrick is definitely a professional caliber driver but a very mediocre one at best. If she were a man she would not now be racing at the high organizational level she has been now at NASCAR and before that in Indy cars.

The above is my opinion. Her record is not my opinion and it speaks for itself.

skrud
join:2002-05-19
Barrington, IL

skrud

who has switched from F1 or Indy to stock cards and made a impact? I might be having a brain cramp but I dont recall any.

Is she better then Stremme? Labonte? Kvapil? Blaney?

She is a walking bill board that what makes her better then the above.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

said by skrud:

who has switched from F1 or Indy to stock cards and made a impact? I might be having a brain cramp but I dont recall any.

Um...Tony Stewart from Indy cars. Stewart is a 3 time Cup champion and an Indy champion. Yes, you had a brain cramp.

Danica has a ride in Cup because she has the sponsorship money...period. If Danica was Danny and had the same popularity and sponsors, a mediocre Danny would have a ride too. It has a little to do with her being a woman but mostly because of the money.

Domane
Premium Member

Domane to skrud

Premium Member

to skrud
Just a few racers that were winners in various types of open wheel racing from F1 to USAC/CART and sprint cars to being winners in NASCAR and/or USAC Stock car races.

Terry LaBonte
Tony Stewart
Rusty Wallace
Ken Schrader
Juan Pablo Montoya
AJ Foyt
Parnelli Jones
Tim Richman
John Andretti
Johnny Rutherford
Robby Gordon
Mario Andretti
Dan Gurney
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

Sam Hornish, Jr. could be added to the list. Sam has never won in Cup but has had success in the Nationwide series. Sam is a multi Inday car series champ and finished 2nd in the Nationwide series last year. He is definitely a better driver than Danica and has yet to secure a full time Cup ride for 2014.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to Domane

Premium Member

to Domane
Danica ‘I’m still learning’ Patrick is nothing but a hazard to the other 42 drivers on the track. Her skill is clearly lacking and she has shown no signs of improvement. All she is doing is putting other driver’s lives at risk and taking a seat away from some other, more deserving driver. I’d like to hear Tony Stewart’s option on Danica’s position in the point’s standings. He, himself missed the final 15 races and managed to finish only two positions behind Danica who started all 36 races. And it’s not like she’s racing with some small organization, she’s has a top notch team behind her.

EaglesLover
@comcast.net

EaglesLover to skrud

Anon

to skrud
said by skrud:

Is she better then Stremme? Labonte? Kvapil? Blaney?

She is a walking bill board that what makes her better then the above.

That is the key. It is all about her drawing fans to watch the races on TV. As long as she doesn't crash every week, she has a spot in the field. The advertisers love her.

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA

rolfp to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

taking a seat away from some other, more deserving driver.

Give it a rest. Her average finish this season was 26. There are about 17 worse drivers in the field taking a seat away from some "more deserving driver."

Domane
Premium Member

1 edit

Domane

Premium Member

said by rolfp:

said by Happydude32:

Give it a rest. Her average finish this season was 26. There are about 17 worse drivers in the field taking a seat away from some "more deserving driver."

A question: How many of those "17 worse drivers in the field" had a team the quality of Patrick?

How many of those drivers consistently failed to finish compared to Patrick's percentage of races finished?

Finally, and I don't know what the stats are for all the drivers would be that had an average lower than Patrick's but of the races where those driver's finished how many laps down to the winner were they?

Patrick had a terrible overall record where in many, perhaps the majority of races that she finished the race without mechanical problems but she finished multiple laps down at the end of the race. Sometimes four or five laps down. That was in the context of despite the strength of the team she was on she was that much slower than the racers ahead of her that were all on the same lap at the finish while she so many laps behind.

I would be interested in seeing what those stats would show.

Regardless she is a very mediocre or non-elite professional driver from a competitive and talent standpoint that as I've stated before if she was a man she wouldn't have a ride in the big show of the NASCAR Sprint. Or in the alternative she wouldn't be on an elite top team like she is now if she had to get a ride based solely upon her skill or competitive level. If it was just that she would either not be on a team or if she was it would be on a bottom feeder team in terms of competitiveness.

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
Oakland, CA

rolfp

Premium Member

She had 5 dnfs, completed 94% of the laps, her average start was 30, average finish 26, not that bad for a rookie but I really don't care. Neither you nor any of the other armchair Barney Oldfields crying about this non-issue could do what she does. Sucks to be you, I guess.

Domane
Premium Member

Domane

Premium Member

said by rolfp:

She had 5 dnfs, completed 94% of the laps, her average start was 30, average finish 26, not that bad for a rookie but I really don't care. Neither you nor any of the other armchair Barney Oldfields crying about this non-issue could do what she does. Sucks to be you, I guess.

LOL.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
Marion, IA

drslash (banned) to rolfp

to rolfp
said by rolfp:

It's not about comparing her skills to to forum participants. Leave that at the door. It is about comparing her skills and results to other drivers. She drives championship quality cars with mediocre results. The day her sponsor stops paying is the day she is out of Cup. I don't see that happening though.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

Nope, it's the ogle factor.

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
Oakland, CA

rolfp to drslash

Premium Member

to drslash
said by drslash:

It's not about comparing her skills to to forum participants.

That's about putting things in perspective. A little more perspective: The vaunted male "successful" transplant from open wheel, Montoya ranked 21st and won $4,847,783 with 0 poles, after 7 years in Nascar. Patrick was 27th, earning $3,411,110 and a pole. I also have to wonder why "forum participants" are making such a big stink about only her mediocrity. I guess it's because they imagine they could take her in a fist fight.

--
Republicans call giving 3/4 trillion dollars of taxpayer monies without strings to bail out Wall Street, "Small Government".
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to rolfp

Premium Member

to rolfp
said by rolfp:

said by Happydude32:

No, I will not give it a rest. Crashica is a mediocre at best driver who has little to no talent in stock car racing, or any other form of racing for that matter. The only reason she gets as much press as she does is because she's a she. If she was a guy she would not have the sponsorship she does, she would not be on the team she is. She would be a Travis Kvapil or David Gilliland or some journeyman driver. Crashica is marketable hence why she has a ride. She is not any good, she will never be any good, and she does not belong in NASCAR. Crashica does not deserve to be in NASCAR, there is no doubt about that.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
Marion, IA

drslash (banned) to rolfp

to rolfp
said by rolfp:

said by drslash:

That's about putting things in perspective. A little more perspective: The vaunted male "successful" transplant from open wheel, Montoya ranked 21st and won $4,847,783 with 0 poles, after 7 years in Nascar. Patrick was 27th, earning $3,411,110 and a pole. I also have to wonder why "forum participants" are making such a big stink about only her mediocrity. I guess it's because they imagine they could take her in a fist fight.

Good comparison. Montoya has lost his Cup ride.

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
Oakland, CA

rolfp

Premium Member

said by drslash:

Good comparison. Montoya has lost his Cup ride.

Sure and in 5 or 6 more years might be a more seemly time to start whining about Patrick's continued mediocrity. If you're interested in comparisons.

Domane
Premium Member

1 edit

Domane

Premium Member

Lets take a look at Ms. Patrick's professional career in not just NASCAR but her entire career. Her professional racing career began in 1998/99. In the next six years between then and 2005 she competed in various organizations and cars:

She entered or competed in 45 races. She won 0 races and won 0 poles.

In 2005 she began her career in the Indy Care Series. She raced there until 2008.

She entered and competed in 65 races. She won 1* race and won 3 poles.

In 2009 and 2010 she hopped around in various venues, organizations, and cars including NASCAR Nationwide:

She entered 33 races. She won 0 races and 0 poles.

In 2011 she began her full-time career in NASCAR starting with the Nationwide Series:

She had 45 races and she won 0 times and had 0 poles.

In 2012 she entered the NASCAR Sprint Series: In the 10 races she competed in she won 0 races and 1 pole. (Pole won in restrictor plate race.)

So lets summarize: In her career since 1998/99 she has 1* win and 4 poles while competing in 188 races.

*The one win came in an Indy Car Series Race in which many of the top drivers did not compete as on that weekend there was another more major Indy Car Race where many of the top drivers competed in instead of the one that Ms. Patrick won.

So, in 188 races she has one win. One! That one win was nearly seven years ago.

When you Google Danica Patrick you get on the hit page 7 pictures of her in bikinis or other similar theme dress and two pictures of her in racing uniform.

We all know why she is racing for a good team in the NASCAR Sprint Series.

The ONLY person "whining" about her is you. Everyone else is backing up her full record with facts based solely upon her racing career and her performance in it.

The facts above speak for themselves. No opinions are needed to evaluate Ms. Patrick.

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
Oakland, CA

rolfp

Premium Member

Wait. What? Wow. That's an hour and a half of a wasted life you won't be getting back. If you say so. Like I said, I don't really care. Good luck with that whole "Making it real for Nascar" thing.

Domane
Premium Member

Domane

Premium Member

said by rolfp:

Wait. What? Wow. That's an hour and a half of a wasted life you won't be getting back. If you say so. Like I said, I don't really care. Good luck with that whole "Making it real for Nascar" thing.

LOL. I don't consider it a waste of time to quote facts and to educate someone that is interested.
Domane

Domane to rolfp

Premium Member

to rolfp
said by rolfp:

said by drslash:

That's about putting things in perspective. A little more perspective: The vaunted male "successful" transplant from open wheel, Montoya ranked 21st and won $4,847,783 with 0 poles, after 7 years in Nascar. Patrick was 27th, earning $3,411,110 and a pole.

The highlights of Juan Pablo Montoya include wins in the International F3000 championship in 1998, and the CART FedEx Championship Series in 1999. He also has victories in some of the most prestigious races in the world.

He is the only driver to have won the premier North American open-wheel CART title, the Indianapolis 500 and the 24 Hours of Daytona, all at the first attempt. Montoya is one of two drivers to have won the CART title in his rookie year, the first being Formula One World Champion Nigel Mansell in 1993.

He has also equalled Graham Hill's feat of being a Monaco Grand Prix and Indianapolis 500 race winner; Montoya is currently one of only two active drivers (along with Jacques Villeneuve) who has won two legs of the Triple Crown of Motorsport.

Montoya has also become a crossover race winner by winning races (starting in each case in his rookie year) in Formula One, CART, IndyCar, Grand-Am and NASCAR.

In 2014 he is leaving NASCAR and returning to Indy racing where he will be a driver for the top team in the sport, Penske.

"The Times Online" named him as one of the top 30 Formula One (F1) drivers of all time.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to Domane

Premium Member

to Domane
Danica Patrick drives Nascar? I thought she was a slightly pretty Go-Daddy model.

Anyway, there was a thread here a while ago about her, and if I remember correctly, the consensus was that she was a mediocre driver but she looked good in a bikini so the people paying her didn't much care.

My take on her is if she's enjoying what she's doing and the fans are enjoying what she's doing, it's no big deal. I don't really follow Nascar.

»[Other] Danica Patrick
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

It's a sport so in the grand scheme it isn't a big deal. In the world of NASCAR the beef is that she is driving a top car for a top team A team that will have four total Cups and an annual contender...and then Danica. A better driver in that car will make the sport better and more competitive. A guy like Regan Smith or Aric Amilrola in that car and you will have a contender for the top ten. Danica maybe competes for the top 25.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to Domane

Premium Member

to Domane
I'm sorry but if you want to be photographed spread eagle on the hood of a car don't lecture me about taking you seriously. She's a model who happens to have a LOT of money behind her so she gets a seat in a car.

And let me add I'd love to see some woman be able to mix it up for wins and championships.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Domane

to Domane
And here Danica Patrick Wows American Country Awards Audience With Showgirl Turn: »music.yahoo.com/blogs/ou ··· 257.html

Just for her fans...

f0rtys3ven
join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

I hope it was to the left I wouldn't want her to get confused.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

And here Danica Patrick Wows American Country Awards Audience With Showgirl Turn: »music.yahoo.com/blogs/ou ··· 257.html

Just for her fans...

Yup, that's a race car driver alright! LOL...

She is what she is... pretty girl, average driver at best.