dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Bon Scott
join:2009-09-12

Bon Scott

[motherboard] ASUS, P6T Deluxe V2 Question.

I have a Windows 7 Pro PC. It has an ASUS, P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard. I would like to add USB 3.0 capability to it.

Two questions.
1) Can it be done with that board?
2) If it can be done.....how?

Thank you.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf

Premium Member

Something like this add in card:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 15166026

Bon Scott

Bon Scott

It's really that simple?
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

Yep. Plug it in, load the drivers, enjoy MUCH faster file transfers. I even noticed that USB 2 drives are slightly faster when plugged into mine. Perhaps the chipset/drivers are more efficient. But you'll see a huge difference when you plug in a USB 3 drive.

Bon Scott

Bon Scott

said by HarryH3:

Yep. Plug it in, load the drivers, enjoy MUCH faster file transfers. I even noticed that USB 2 drives are slightly faster when plugged into mine. Perhaps the chipset/drivers are more efficient. But you'll see a huge difference when you plug in a USB 3 drive.

That is so great. Thank you. Is the card recommended above good or are their others I should consider?
HarryH3
Premium Member

HarryH3

Premium Member

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Rosewill brand. The reviews of any of the stuff they make are pretty tepid. The funniest retort about them that I've seen was a guy that referred to them as Roe Swill.

The main thing to look for seems to be a card that has the Renesas chipset. Supposedly more stable, but that may have changed in the last couple of years. I've bought a couple of the BYTECC brand cards and both died within weeks, so it's somewhat of a crapshoot.

Just looking around on Newegg, I see this new card: »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 01-00018 that looks very interesting, if you need a LOT of USB 3 ports! Alas, it has the VIA chip, and mixed reviews. I really like the concept though...

The card I have is a house brand "Gigaware" card that I picked up at Radio Shack a couple of years ago on clearance. It has the Renesas chip, it's fast, and it's still working.

You can do some window shopping at this link: »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· eSize=20 but I don't see an easy way to remove the USB2 stuff from the list.

Bon Scott

Bon Scott

I can't thank you enough Harry. Really so helpful.
Bon Scott

Bon Scott to HarryH3

to HarryH3
Would this one fit/work? »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· D0K30935
HarryH3
Premium Member

HarryH3

Premium Member

Glad to help.

That one looks like it has ONLY external ports. If that's OK, then the price isn't bad. Do note, it ships from Hong Kong and is not actually sold by Newegg. Looks like it's from one of their resellers. If you get a DOA card then you can spend a small fortune shipping it back for replacement. And I've never heard of Hoo Too.

Bon Scott

Bon Scott

Ooooohhh......good point. Thanks for everything.
Bon Scott

Bon Scott

This one looks good. what do you think? »www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh ··· =details
HarryH3
Premium Member

HarryH3

Premium Member

Hmmm, it has 3 great reviews on that site, but 1 great and 2 no-go reviews on Newegg: »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 15150273 It's always difficult to know if the problem is with the card or the installer. I'm sure the reason there aren't more reviews is because of the price. If it works, then you'll have 4 fast ports. Worst case you have to spend $5 to return it. Note that you need a spare SATA power connector for that card. Some have the older 4-pin molex power and others take SATA. You can buy an adapter cable for cheap if you don't have the right type available.

Bon Scott

Bon Scott

Uhg. Some of those reviews. Not good. I will have to check my power supply situation.

BTW....here is the computer I would put it in:

+ CUSTOM DESKTOP COMPUTER, Core%u2122 i7 2-way SLI® DDR3 24GB Performance Series System 1
ANTEC, Performance One P183 Black Mid-Tower Computer Case, ATX, No PSU

ANTEC, Signature 650 Power Supply, 650W, 24-pin ATX12V EPS12V, One 6-pin + One 8-pin PCIe, SLI Certified

ASUS, P6T Deluxe V2, LGA1366, Intel® X58, 6400 MT/s QPI, DDR3-2000 (O.C.) 24GB /6, PCIe x16 SLI CF /3, SATA 3 Gb/s RAID 5 /6, HDA, GbLAN /2, FW /2, ATX, Retail

INTEL, Core%u2122 i7-920 Quad-Core 2.66GHz, LGA1366, 4.8 GT/s QPI, 8MB L3 Cache, 45nm, 130W, EM64T EIST VT XD, Retail

NOCTUA, NH-U12P Copper CPU Cooler, Socket 1366

CORSAIR, 12GB (6 x 2GB) XMS3 PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.65V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC

GIGABYTE, GV-N96TSL-1GI, GeForce® 9600 GT 650MHz, 1GB GDDR3 1800MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, VGA+DVI, HDMI, Retail

WESTERN DIGITAL, 150GB (WD1500HLFS) WD VelociRaptor%u2122, SATA 3 Gb/s, 10000 RPM, 16MB cache

WESTERN DIGITAL, 1TB WD Caviar® Black%u2122 (WD1001FALS), SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 32MB Cache

RAID, No RAID, Independent HDD Drives

LITE-ON, iHDS118 Black 18x48x DVD-ROM Drive, SATA, OEM

LITE-ON, iHAS324 Black 24x DVD±RW Dual-Layer Burner w/ Smart Erase, SATA, Retail

SILVERSTONE, SST-FP35 Black Internal 30-in-1 Card Reader & I/O Panel Device , 3.5" Bay, USB

MICROSOFT, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Edition, OEM

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank

Premium Member

If you look at the one review on Newegg it clearly states that it works with XP and Windows7, but does not work with Windows 8 because of a know issue with the OS. Your using it with Windows 7 and it appears to work without issue as mentioned in the reviews on the page you posted and the 5 egg review on Newegg.

If you don't have enough correct connectors on your PSU you can buy an adapter when you purchase the card and an extender cable if needed.

Looks like you did a good bit of research on finding a decent card. Hope everything works out well for you.

Cheers