Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 recommendation

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Watch out for the Xbox one bricking hoax.

Somebody is making a hoax saying doing this will enable BC.

Apparantly all Xbox Ones are dev kits and you can go to developer options in the menu with a button combination.

However, this sandbox ID you enter is 'freezone.reboot'. That's right, freeze One . reboot. Think about that for a sec lol. If you fall for this, deleting system 32 will allow you to download more ram!

Weirdal
Premium Member
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal

Premium Member

So is there any evidence that this actually does brick your console?

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

it was posted on the verge, and by major nelson so I am guessing it does screw up the one
mromero

mromero to Weirdal

Premium Member

to Weirdal
»www.theverge.com/2013/12 ··· -warning

Weirdal
Premium Member
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal

Premium Member

Eh, I'll believe it when I see it. All I can find are lots of news articles and a vague tweet that warns that messing with the dev console could brick your xbox, which is what they've been saying since the developer menu was discovered.

Nothing that shows this this actually bricking a console or what Microsoft's stance is on fixing the inevitably hundreds of bricked consoles out there.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

2 recommendations

onebadmofo to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
Why would this even be available for the basic consumer to do? If it's something MS wouldn't want you to have access to, then why would any credentials for this area of the system exist on the consumer product?

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

said by onebadmofo:

Why would this even be available for the basic consumer to do? If it's something MS wouldn't want you to have access to, then why would any credentials for this area of the system exist on the consumer product?

Because microsoft made it so that the same xbox one you buy at the store can be a dev console. It was marketed as a thing to benefit indies and smaller dev studios, but honestly I think it's just a way to save the cost of having to develop, engineer and release a separate developer's kit for all involved, which had been the norm in the industry for years and years.

Problem is someone already decided to be a jackass about it and found this little instruction to share for all the stupid people to ape and render their $500 systems useless.

Weirdal
Premium Member
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal

Premium Member

said by C0deZer0:

Because microsoft made it so that the same xbox one you buy at the store can be a dev console. It was marketed as a thing to benefit indies and smaller dev studios, but honestly I think it's just a way to save the cost of having to develop, engineer and release a separate developer's kit for all involved, which had been the norm in the industry for years and years.

Developer consoles should be considered antiquated with all these one-person indie developers out there. Good on Microsoft for lowering that barrier or entry.

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5 to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008
No issue with developer options from me. Hell I use my Androids dev options all the time.

The likelihood of it bricking the console? Slim. It may render it incapacitated for a while, but it's highly unlikely Microsoft have this option open to devs so easily to permenantly kill the console. There will be a way to unbrick it.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

said by Cat5:

No issue with developer options from me. Hell I use my Androids dev options all the time.

The likelihood of it bricking the console? Slim. It may render it incapacitated for a while, but it's highly unlikely Microsoft have this option open to devs so easily to permenantly kill the console. There will be a way to unbrick it.

Yeah it's called sending it back, unless they have some pre-programmed way to restore to default settings. This puts the device in an endless loop.

skyjock41
Shag Diesel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
Patrick Afb, FL

skyjock41 to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
I'm not a dev kind of guy.......but why is freeze.reboot an option in the menu or even a good thing for devs?

If it can brick our console then it can bricks the devs......why have it?
PinkyThePig
Premium Member
join:2011-05-02
Tempe, AZ

PinkyThePig

Premium Member

It is equivalent to making a script that runs on startup on windows that reboots your computer. Making a script that runs on start is useful, having a scripting option to reboot is useful as well. Together, not so much.

Maybe devs need that option to put at the end of their update script in their application to reboot the xbox upon applying an update or they want to add a menu option in their game/app that reboots the xbox etc.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by PinkyThePig:

It is equivalent to making a script that runs on startup on windows that reboots your computer. Making a script that runs on start is useful, having a scripting option to reboot is useful as well. Together, not so much.

Aka...a virus