spc
uniqs
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to markm5

to markm5

Re: Networked DVRs?

Windows Media Center with a Centon Card and SDV Adapter worked just fine on my old PC i had in the living room, but i ended up just canceling cable altogether since CenturyLink will give me up to 80/40Mbps over VDSL2 here and it never rains in AZ so i went with Dish.. Best decision of my life, i'm paying less than $85/mo for 40/20 internet, top 250 with HBO/Showtime, and whole home DVR with Sling so i can use it when away.

If you look around there are ways to get the whole cable/internet thing done for a decent price while maintaining usable service as long as you have a decent telco (sorry, at&t folks!)

TiVo also works well, but generally costs more than CableCo equipment, but if WOW is still on those old Scientific Atlanta STB's then it may be worth it, as i remember having them in Ohio and laughed at their setup when i had to use it, but i did like how instead of using SDV like Time Warner Cable, they went all digital to keep from using those damn adapters that can be troublesome at times.
markm5
join:2013-10-06
Clearwater, FL

markm5

Verizon FIOS used the Motorola DVRs, which are solid and have a good user interface and is easy to use, every bit as good as a Tivo for recording. Bright House used Cisco which was similar, good interface, as good as Tivo. So the cable co DVRs can be a good value, and there are cable co's that have gotten things right. Ive heard of people getting Tivo becasue they thought since its not the cable co it must be a better value. Looking at what they are paying, actually, they are paying more and its not better at all.