Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bfollett

join:2005-09-20
North Billerica, MA

1 edit

[Firmware] Downgrade router software

I have a SMCD3GNV router and it software lists as 3.1.5.3.4.1_IMS. I have 2 different brands of wireless gaming adaptors/wifi bridges that connect to the routers wireless network but are unable to reach the internet and show a yellow yield symbol with limited connectivity in windows. I then tried these adaptors on a friends wifi which has the same router but software version 3.1.5.3.3_NCS. On that router the gaming adaptors fully connect and get internet access. Searching the error message Microsoft provided suggest that it's a problem reaching the DNS server. Anyway, a call to Comcast tech support yielded no help at all. First does anyone know why these devices both can't reach the internet when all PCs, laptops and phones I've tried do. Second if there is no solution via that route does anyone know if you can download or request downloads of alternate router firmware version, and if so where.

Thanks,

Bob

Edited to add topic group category. sortofageek See Profile

Netkeys

join:2000-12-08
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: Downgrade router software

You will probably not be able to downgrade your firmware.

The easiest way to work around the problem would be to try manually setting the DNS server addresses in your adapters/bridges. Try using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for the open Google DNS servers. If it's a DNS problem this should fix the problem. You could also use OpenDNS if you want.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

1 edit
reply to bfollett

said by bfollett:

I have a SMCD3GNV router and it software lists as 3.1.5.3.4.1_IMS. I have 2 different brands of wireless gaming adaptors/wifi bridges that connect to the routers wireless network but are unable to reach the internet and show a yellow yield symbol with limited connectivity in windows. I then tried these adaptors on a friends wifi which has the same router but software version 3.1.5.3.3_NCS. On that router the gaming adaptors fully connect and get internet access. Searching the error message Microsoft provided suggest that it's a problem reaching the DNS server.

FWIW, this sounds more like a local LAN / hardware / firmware issue than a DNS issue. The Windows operating system typically displays a generic DNS warning message for general connectivity / non DNS problems. Those CC supplied gateway devices are notorious for performance / operating problems. Have it put in to FULL bridge mode by them so that it acts as a plain vanilla cable modem with which you can use a real / high quality router with it.

JohnShade

join:2009-03-07
Pearland, TX
reply to bfollett

Re: [Firmware] Downgrade router software

What kind of "wireless gaming adaptors/wifi bridges" are these. Model #????

bfollett

North Billerica, MA

The gaming adaptor is a Trendnet TEW-647GA. The WiFi bridge is an Edimax CV-7428ns. I have a solar panel array that only has an Ethernet jack on the device that send it's data to the solar company via the internet. The Trendnet device was working fine when I had Verizon Fios, but when I switched to Comcast it stopped working. I tried to get support for the device from Trendnet, but it was too old, so I decided to purchase the Edimax because it had multiple Ethernet jacks. Of course, I got the same no internet result. Edimax's and Comcast's support yielded no help. As another forum member posted above, I don't think the real problem is the DSN server. That's just another example of how useless Microsoft trouble shooting reports are.

Netkeys

join:2000-12-08
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to bfollett

Are you able to connect with any other wireless devices? Example: Laptop or cell phone.

If not the WiFi may be turned off on the Comcast gateway.

If the wireless works for other devices they I'd start by resetting the Comcast gateway to default settings. If that doesn't work then I'd get Comcast to replace the gateway.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to bfollett

Even if you had the firmware files you wouldn't be able to apply them.

assuming you have plain resi service just get a plain modem and a standalone router.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

bfollett

North Billerica, MA
reply to Netkeys

said by Netkeys:

Are you able to connect with any other wireless devices? Example: Laptop or cell phone.

If not the WiFi may be turned off on the Comcast gateway.

If the wireless works for other devices they I'd start by resetting the Comcast gateway to default settings. If that doesn't work then I'd get Comcast to replace the gateway.

You might have missed it... I stated in my original post that all laptops, PC's and phones I've tried have all connected without issue. I think I will check into having them swap routers where my friends router seems to work.