how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheHox

join:2012-05-31

New customer installed, now Sonos Radio can't connect

Any of you familiar with Sonos?

I had a customer that used to use another WISP. Upon doing the install today, she had the sonos streaming.

I unplugged her old radio, plugged mine in, configured it all, good to go. Everything works, speed test got 10mpbs as sold.

Sonos radio can't connect.

Her soho router is showing the sonos is pulling an ip of 192.168.1.101 from her router just fine, but it can't connect to Pandora or TuneIn radio.

I currently operate on a NAT/private IP network, am I blocking something I shouldn't be?

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

It's likely the NAT. Technically you block all incoming.
Double NAT 98% of the time is ok but some things hate it
Triple NAT if you are using the radio as a router
Xbox is one.
But I can't see that device needing incoming connections.
Perhaps a DNS issue. You could try force a Different DNS server in her router ?
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to TheHox

This is from the Sonos online user guide. I don't seem to be able to link to the actual page.

" What network ports does Sonos use?

During firmware updates, the Sonos system accesses the Internet via port 80. During normal operation and use, the system utilizes the specified ports and services below. The Sonos system can be configured to alert you whenever an online update is available, or you can manually check for online updates using the SONOS CONTROL or the Sonos Controller for Pc or Mac.

The Sonos Wireless HiFi System uses the following ports:

TCP/IP:

80 (HTTP)
445 (CIFS)
3400 (UPnP incoming events)
443 (Rhapsody, Napster, and SIRIUS Internet Radio)
4070 (Spotify incoming events)
4444 (Sonos update process)

UDP:

136-139 (NetBIOS)
1900 (UPnP advertisements / device discovery)
1901 (UPnP m-search responses)
2869 (UPnP connection to Windows Media Player 11 Network Sharing Service)
6969 (Getting Started process)
10243 (UPnP connection to Windows Media Player 11 Network Sharing Service)
10280-10284 (UPnP connection to Windows Media Player 11 Network Sharing Service)

Some firewall software may require manual configuration. Please see this list of firewalls for instructions on how to configure them."

»www.sonos.com/support/onlineuserguide/en/

TheHox

I did find that page as well here
»sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/d···tem-uses

Looking into that more now.. Might try and open some ports and see what I can do.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to TheHox

You'll run into the same issue if clients have IP cams...

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

Yea anyone that wants remote access to their DVRs, IP cameras, you are going to be in trouble. You don't have any public IPs to hand out? If needed?
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
reply to TheHox

Im not going to be very constructive, but i hate sonos devices. i cant figure out if they are access points using wifi, their own protocol or connecting to our access points. They just annoy me.

TheHox

reply to Inssomniak

Yea I understand about the IP cameras and all that jazz, thats incoming, I have that setup for my own camera network at my house.

But this is just for downloading audio, didn't think I'd have to have ports open to do that..

I can get some IPs. I'm on a temporary connection until my fiber is installed.. They said 5 weeks, 2 months ago...

And so far I hate them too, they are just setup weird. I've never used them before, but she had a box in the living room, with a wireless controller, the whole setup was weird to use.

It made sense to her, but, the people that do this for a living, it seems to be too dumb for us to figure out. It took me a while just to navigate around the dumb thing.

They don't even have a web based config page, you have to use their software installed on your PC to work on anything.

TheHox

reply to TheHox

Well now I feel dumb.

She txt'ed me said she got the sonos working.

She went into the wireless hand held controller and hit "Restart".

I saw that in the menu, but didn't select it because we already did a power cycle which didn't help.

Problem solved. Lesson learned.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

You dodged a bullet there. I really hate having to support oddball stuff like that.

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL
reply to TheHox

We have triple NAT all over the place without problems that I am aware of. We don't allow hosting, so CCTV and other forms aren't an issue to begin with. But for those that really need it (honestly) we can provide publics at will.

I know of at least one customer who has a Sonos device. Never had an issue with it.. Almost everything can get around NAT now a days by initiating the connection. The only reason a device doesn't work is because it just sits there acting dumb waiting for something to connect to it. That's not really the case any more as manufacturers have gotten proactive about the NAT issue and open the connection to the servers for the customer for them instead of the other way around.
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

TheHox

That's some good news for me for a while.

I don't plan to run NAT'd forever, but at least till spring or early summer, when the ground is thawed and they can start digging ditches for my fiber.