share rss forum feed

idmd

join:2011-01-13
Fairfield, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Optimum Online

1 edit

[OOL] How can I tell if I'm receiving ultra 50?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Just signed up for OOL Ultra 50 last week but only seem to be able to pull 18Mbps down and 5Mbps up making me think I still have 15/5 service. Is there a way I can tell if this service has actually been setup on the backend?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
Call CV or use the live chat and ask them. They should be able to tell immediately.

You can also check your account at optimum.net. If you have access to this page, »www.optimum.net/internet/boost/ , then you have Ultra50 or Ultra101 (if the link doesn't work, login then go to Internet on the top. On the bottom of the internet page is "Port Configuration". Click on Settings under that section)

This is less reliable as it sometimes takes a week or two for that part of the website to activate on a new account.

FWIW, your speeds are exactly what you would get on 15/5. Call CV.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

idmd

Fairfield, CT
I do have access to the webpage and have been receiving welcome emails today - speed just hasn't changed. I'll contact Cablevision...thanks!

idmd

Fairfield, CT
Lol...3 mins on live chat and I'm GTG....56 down and 18 up. Thanks....that was almost too easy!

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
reply to idmd
Glad it's better. If your upstream speed drops out, it's because of high transmit power (the 32 MHz is right at the border of acceptable for bonded state).

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
kudos:1

1 edit
With a Downstream signal level of around 0 dBmV, (considered 'Optimal' BTW), and an Upstream that's approaching Max Transmit (Definitely Unacceptable) levels, I'd recommend calling in for a Truck Roll to have a Tech come in to totally check out the wiring from the Drop to the modem for any issues, and if none are found there, to escalate the ticket to Outside Plant (Line Crew) to have them investigate the Node infrastructure (Line Amps/Balancing/Ingress issues, etc.) for faults...

Been There, Done That...

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

idmd

Fairfield, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Optimum Online
I understand some values are not optimal but I'm pulling 58 down and 28 up with no drop in performance during peak hours or drops in service. If it "ain't broken" what exactly do I gain by calling? I appreciate your help.....just not sure what will be different if they come out and optimize values?

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
Agreed, absolutely no reason to call! Just enjoy!

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by dm145:

Agreed, absolutely no reason to call! Just enjoy!

I agree as well, I just wanted to give the reason he might see intermittent connections or upload speed dropouts if the 32MHz upstream disappears. As long as there is no performance impact, I wouldn't waste my own time with a service call.

mgould73

join:2013-11-27
The upstream power at 54 might be an issue but the frequency of 22.50 and 32.00Mhz on upload channels is standard. You'll see those on just about all Levels... Several modems I've checked with power at 39-55 have the same frequencies.

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by mgould73:

The upstream power at 54 might be an issue but the frequency of 22.50 and 32.00Mhz on upload channels is standard. You'll see those on just about all Levels... Several modems I've checked with power at 39-55 have the same frequencies.

Yeah, I was not meaning to imply 32 MHz was bad, but the level for 32 MHz is bad. The user has no control over what frequency they talk back to CV on. It might disappear if the level degrades further.

idmd

Fairfield, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Optimum Online

1 edit
Well I added voice yesterday and the tech noticed some numbers that he didn't like. I think the upstream was one of them and a few on set top boxes and basically said, "WTH is this? Someone left you like this?" I asked if there was a problem (no problem on my end) and he very seriously said, "You bet I have a problem with this!" Said he'd be back today and he doesn't care if he has to rewire the entire house but he "will be the LAST tech who needs to come out for this issue"....lol. He was very funny (he wasn't trying to be funny) and at the same time he's the most serious tech I've ever encountered but I respect that.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
kudos:1
Now, That is an example of a Tech that believes in doing a Quality Job...

Not leaving a customer with a sloppy/lopsided feed (even though they aren't noticing any apparent issues ATM), means a MUCH reduced chance of a Call-back when the signal degrades even slightly more, and pushes their modem/STB over the edge...

Wish CV had more of them...

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.