spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jonathan987

join:2006-03-17
North York, ON

Start has lower - 25, 35, 45 - packages with 10mbit up, y not Tek?

Hey Marc and everyone,

just wanted to mention that I recently noticed »start.ca/services/highspeed and the different packages available if you click: "Show the 'Plus' package upgrades with enhanced upload speeds" under the cable services section that shows the lower downstream speed profiles (25, 35, 45) offered with the 10mbit upload.

Does Tek offer the same profiles, but it's not being advertised on the website? Can I just phone in and have my profile bumped to 10mbit on the upstream? If this is the unfortunate case where these packages aren't being currently extended to us then is it reasonable to say that we can expect them in the future? Is it too early to even ask of when?

Thanks a bunch for your continued excellent service and warm regards to everyone in the office throughout the holiday season!
Jonathan

potato_IT

join:2013-06-20
Gatineau, QC
kudos:1

Not offered by teksavvy. Start take a loss by buying the higher plans that have 10 upload and then shaping them for these. Teksavvy doesn't do that and I don't think they will. Might be better sources than me but this is what I've read.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

1 edit
reply to Jonathan987

Potato_IT is right. Start is shaping 150/10 packages, TekSavvy does not and has not indicated that they'll be doing this. However, I don't think there's any evidence Start is losing money on these plans.

BrianON

join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to potato_IT

said by potato_IT:

Not offered by teksavvy. Start take a loss by buying the higher plans that have 10 upload and then shaping them for these. Teksavvy doesn't do that and I don't think they will. Might be better sources than me but this is what I've read.

The per-user connection fees paid to Rogers don't vary much with speed. They capture the additional usage of higher tiers by having a very high price on the aggregated pipe between them and the IISP. This has left a gap - if an IISP can shape traffic to a lower speed they can put users on higher tiers for the small extra speed fee but without needing a bigger and more costly pipe between them and Rogers.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
reply to potato_IT

there's no lost money at all when Start shape's down a 150/10 package and BrianON indicates why that is the case.

potato_IT

join:2013-06-20
Gatineau, QC
kudos:1

Cool didn't know that. Thanks for clearing it up

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON

1 edit

But, Rogers has requested a $9.72/month INCREASE on the 150/10 connection fees. Hey, it's only a 41.7% increase/money-grab!

If Rogers is granted that increase, it will be interesting to see what Start has to do for its PLUS plans (all based on 150/10), for which they now charge a $10/month premium.

I think TeddyBoom mentioned earlier in another thread that the 150/10 increase from Rogers looked like it had Start's name all over it! I would agree with that assessment, and Start's 150/10 shaping could be a possible, or partial, reason for the big requested increase.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to Jonathan987

And it looks like Rogers is pricing the 250/20 cable package at rates high enough that it might not be worth it to provide a 'super super upload boost' package on Start.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Jonathan987

join:2006-03-17
North York, ON
reply to jasmo34

when does this decision get made? I'm not interested in switching only to have to pay that much more after the move.