Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone

Re: "But....PC Gaming Is So Expensive!"

said by Ghastlyone:

There are certain games on PC that are beautifully optimized. I just wish all developers would spend the time optimizing them.

Dead Space 3 is a perfect example. Runs phenomenal on max settings. My PC will literally "idle" while running that game. It's just optimized very well. Either that, or Nvidia has got some really nice drivers. X-Rebirth on the other hand, is terribly un optimized, like Justin mentioned. Man what a pile of crap that game is.

It'll be interesting to see where we are in a few years with all these new games, with consoles being x86 systems now.

Well, if crytek had its way, we'd all be forced to spend upwards of $5k just to run whatever piece of crap they release.

If DICE has its way, it'd be a requirement to spend about $1500 of that system build money on having enough RAM to handle their game.

And Microsoft will try to shoehorn us into yet another terrible OS release in order to get the appropriate API support for whatever new game we actually want to play... until either Apple or Linux finally make the work to provide competitive and feature-complete API support on their alternatives.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin

Mod

we're getting closer to that day.
PS4 runs BSD, I'm reading that increasingly openGL is a choice for developers, steam has cast their lot with Linux.

Meanwhile the xbox one apparently runs whatever game OS they have but also whatever their vmware is and basically a modified windows 8 inside that single core virtual cpu, to handle built in explorer, those pop-up apps and MOST importantly push their "windows on everything" policy. No wonder after you buy it, 500gb of disk is down to 380gb free.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

With the way Windows is going, I have a feeling they are going to try and do everything they can do get the more or less the same OS on everything, from the Xbox, to PC, to phones and tablets.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by ekster:

With the way Windows is going, I have a feeling they are going to try and do everything they can do get the more or less the same OS on everything, from the Xbox, to PC, to phones and tablets.

Although I'm really straying off topic here, They (MS/Windows) are so far behind OSX and Linux in this regard that it's unsurprising that they're now trying to buy their way into the integrated device market, it's been what, 5, 7 years that this has been going on now?

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to Jobbie

Premium Member

to Jobbie
Over the last 10 years, you've spent 18036.8 hours playing this selection, which includes 40 items, is valued at $470.69, and requires 152.1 GB
PinkyThePig
Premium Member
join:2011-05-02
Tempe, AZ

PinkyThePig to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
I've been using linux exclusively for the last half year or so (windows is no longer installed on any of my computers). Has been awesome. As long as you have an nvidia card (AMDs drivers suck) you can do most anything with linux that you could with windows (plus some nice side benefits). WINE has come surprisingly far to the point that most games/applications play pretty identically to windows (I play starcraft 2 quite a bit with friends and play some of my other steam games regularly).

There is obviously a bit of a learning curve but using ubuntu is pretty dummy proof. If you are able to install windows 7, you would be more than qualified to install and use ubuntu. It can even detect you have windows installed and install itself along side of windows while giving you boot options to switch between the two. I personally don't use ubuntu anymore (I use Arch) but the linux native and non-native gaming options have increased significantly lately. With SteamOS on the horizon and steam throwing all of their efforts behind linux, it is likely to improve even more so in the coming months.

For some of those side benefits... No/very few viruses, package managers (I love arch's), no license cost, infinite customizations, lower OS overhead (in both HDD size and resources used).

As an example on package managers... On Arch, to upgrade my computer to the latest version of every software I have installed, I simply type "yaourt -Syua" inside a terminal(technically yaourt is a wrapper of the systems package manager). This updates absolutely everything to its latest version. No need to go to nvidia/dell/etc website to hunt down drivers, opt out of spamware or click next on 5 different installers for the next 30 minutes.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

... That would imply that I didn't have a pathological hatred with the command line that stems from back to the days of DOS.

One of my recurring gripes with Linux in general, which seems to be the same regardless of distro employed, is that everything has to be solved by the goddamn command line. When you're desperate because some piece of software broke to the point that you can't even fully start up the system anymore beyond whatever is provided as a 'safe mode', the last *expletive* thing you want to see is a *expletive* command line! Why? because you could type out instructions and helps all day, and no amount of broken and terse HOWTO docs or grammatically broken syntax will ever help you get it working again short of sticking the install disc in and starting over.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

What's with the manboobs.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin to TigerLord

Mod

to TigerLord
I love food (games)
phone
seat back inflight
tablet
console
Mac
game boy ds
tamagotchi

it's all different and all good
and I would not laugh at one preference vs another because mostly the choices are made not for stupid specification or benchmark reasons but for appropriateness of the platform.

last night I was telling a casual gamer that I was pleased with my ps4, he was unimpressed and spent 20 minutes telling how cool his new wii fit and wii boxing was for exercise. That's cool, and who am I to laugh at how it might run assassins creed.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
It's a female?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Cheese:

It's a female?

It's inaccurate. He never told her to get in the back and heal.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to Cthen

Premium Member

to Cthen
said by Cthen:

Console zealots only look at the cost of the console, nothing else.

Wait...aren't we doing something similar here by only using Steam library retail/spent comparison values?

Which I'd add to it, but I don't think it accurately reflects the donations made to Humble Bundles and stuff like that.
PinkyThePig
Premium Member
join:2011-05-02
Tempe, AZ

PinkyThePig to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
I think the command line is its strength though. When looking for help on forums, instead of having to describe a path of things to do, the one helping you simply writes out a block of text that you then copy/paste to your terminal. Instead of telling you to go to X website, install Y and then navigate to directory Z to edit config A. I just write out a block of code like

wget "website here" #downloads
sudo dpkg -i "downloaded file here" #installs
nano "path to resulting config file" #edits

and you copy and paste that into your terminal and it does everything for you. Also, when you use the command line on a daily basis, all of that experience directly translates into shell scripting as they use the exact same commands/syntax/language and as you get more and more familiar, you can do many more things.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
I use all the formats. I used to buy a new pc about every 3 years, but my previous PC nearly made it 5. I seem to shift between console and pc gaming.

When consoles are new (like when the 360/ps3 came out) I played a lot of console games. When I replaced my PC in 2012 and started playing PC games again, the different between a modern PC and a 6 year old console was staggering so it was a huge shift from consoles back to PC games.

When push comes to shove I'm very pick about the games I play. I don't really play FPS (bioshock or classic wolfenstein being the exceptions). I mostly play medieval style rpgs (dragon age, elder scrolls, kingdoms of amalur etc..), hack n' slash (god of war, blades of time,) and adventure (uncharted, last of us, infamous...) games. There are so few good ones out there that I have to span platforms to keep finding games I feel like playing.

I guess that's the super expensive way of gaming. Buy all the platforms.. lol.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by zod5000:

I guess that's the super expensive way of gaming. Buy all the platforms.. lol.

I don't buy all the platforms, but I will invest in a PS4 eventually. I love my PS3 for some games, but a vast majority of my gaming is on my PC.