signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

7 recommendations

Thanks from me and Alain.

So, an update about the typhoon aftermath.

Alain and family have recovered from the earthquake and typhoon to an extent. We patched her roof temporarily, not all the leaks, but the 5 panels were replaced (corrugated panels). A week after we did that, the phone company came through her neighborhood with a never before deal and we signed up for about 30 bucks a month wifi, and a friend sold her a used tablet. She is now sharing wifi with the neighbors who had shared with her before now, and life is more normal, except she's got the flu and sounds awful at the moment.

A lot of people on farther north lost entire homes, it was a really close call. I don't want folks to assume we've got it in spades right now, but things ARE better, and all your prayers and thoughts made all the difference.

The Red Cross still needs a lot of help for the people that were really devastated by the typhoon, me and Alain thank our lucky stars that she wasn't just 20 miles farther north.

Alain's older brother's friends in Tacloban all survived. They lost everything and we're helping them as best as we can.

Just wanted to give an update that we've recovered to a relative level of normal.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
»www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sp ··· -haiyan/

This shows how close she came to destruction, Cebu city was right on the edge.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
reply to signmeuptoo
Good to learn of this, very good.

parkut
Crunch Addict
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-15
Harrison Township, MI
kudos:8
reply to signmeuptoo
Thanks for letting us know

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo
Yeah, we're on a vigil in case she has pneumonia again though. She went to the doctor when they finally opened yesterday afternoon, but then there was a city wide brownout so she couldn't get a blood test done, has to wait all the way to tomorrow afternoon her time. Poor dear sounds horrible. You know, she tells me you cannot buy common over the counter medications without seeing a doctor there. I wanted her to get some Alka Seltzer cold and sinus nighttime to help her breath and sleep. Like me, she can't sleep without help, no matter how tired she is, and the both of us are worry warts which makes it worse. She hasn't slept well for a week. I want to send her a big bottle of melatonin, but I'm afraid it might be illegal to do so and that it could get her in trouble. Their legal system there for drug issues is brutal, they've put people to death for possession of drugs, I am told. Even pot lands you in prison for life, so I've asked her to go see customs to find out what is legal. I want to send her some of those huge bottles of acetaminophen they sell at Costco, and vitamins.

Anyway, the local Fox station did a brief story on the situation in the Visayas now, days after the disaster, and how aide is getting to some people now, but the devastation is awful. If any of you are looking for charities beyond the usual this holiday, remember the typhoon sufferers. If this had hit dead on Cebu city proper closer this thing would have been MUCH worse, Cebu city has over a million residents and the greater area is even more than that. Alain's house is fairly close to the shore so the surge would have drowned her. I told her, "now will you listen to me when I say go inland, even if you have no shelter?" The surge was over 20 feet high and thousands drowned, including those that huddled in shelters there, they were sitting ducks. This was the worst tropical cyclone to hit anywhere in the world ever in recorded history, and one of the most active seasons for typhoons in that part of the world ever. And a bad storm followed it by mere hours to make things even worse.

Many there think God is punishing them for being bad, I gave Alain a talk about how wrong it is to believe that. The people there are so religious and dutiful I cannot imagine them deserving punishment compared to what goes on around the world nowadays.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo
Just talked with my beloved. She's got some color back in her face and is feeling 10% better, and she got her blood drawn finally. The main problem with her house is that the nails won't hold in the wood any longer to hold the roof down, but there's a lot wrong with her house along with that, but they have a roof over their heads and they survived, and that is a huge thing.
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo
Well, the results of the test came back, and she has mild pneumonia again. That house is so full of mold and mildew, and the rats are all over the area. But hopefully she'll be ok for Christmas.