Search similar:

uniqs

Smorcator
@nine.ch

Smorcator

Anon

Using VPN.AC - encountering weird routing error

G'day folks...

I'm experiencing a weird routing error here using VPN.AC. Doesn't matter which server I use, it's always the same. I can't reach a specific site (Netvibes). Pinging its IP always throws a general failure, the website behind the IP is unreachable. I've seen this behavior only with this specific site yet. I can ping other hosts within the website's subnet with the one exception of the IP of the website host.

It is really strange. Netvibes works perfectly when I deactivate the VPN and use my DSL connection directly...

Any idea what might be causing this?

Cheers!
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

...and I'm guessing this URL is inaccessible without the VPN? -- EDIT: never mind, you did answer that.

Ping is not a reliable way to tell the reachability of a site as it's often blocked / filtered.
A more reliable way to tell would be to telnet to the URL on port 80 or 443, depending whether it's
HTTP or HTTPS.

Another option is wireshark, if you're so (technically) inclined.

My 00000010bits

Regards

Smorcator
@t-ipconnect.de

Smorcator

Anon

Apparently there was something wrong with the cached ARP table. I've flushed it and now it's working again. The ARP cache got into my focus after I rebooted my machine and encountered this error on other sites. Since I'm using Windows, flushing the ARP table goes like this:

Admin Powershell prompt> arp -d -a

Thanks anyway for your tips, Hellfire!
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Smorcator

MVM

to Smorcator
...a simple solution is always good

Regards

Smorcator
@t-ipconnect.de