spc
Search similar:

uniqs
wideglide36
join:2003-11-08
Altoona, PA

wideglide36

Not shopping at Kohl's anymore

Just a little heads up on Kohl's claim of free shipping during the holidays.

They claimed free shipping on anything no matter the price, but then they charged me a "free standard shipping" charge of $7.50 and when I emailed them and questioned this charge, they apologized and explained that it was actually a "sur charge" that they sometimes charge for heavy and bulky items.

I ordered a kitchenaide mixer? Heavy and bulky? I don't think so.

Guess what? It's been over a week since I ordered it and still hasn't shipped. I've tried emailing them and have gotten no response. The wife tried calling them and gave up after jumping through their numerous hoops.

The last email I got from them actually landed in my spam box and it was an email claiming that orders may be delayed due to inclement weather.

So, who knows if this item ever ships in time for the holidays.

I also placed another order at the time of this first order, consisting of three items, and one of those items arrived, but I never got an email saying that the item had shipped, it just showed up at the door one day. Thanks Kohl's for the heads up.

They did give me Koh'ls cash for buying the mixer, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much, but I doubt I shop at Kohl's anytime soon.

Free shipping indeed..........

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

I hear you. I just ordered an area rug (holiday coming and dining room rug bit worn...).
It has a $5 surcharge. It states it right above the total before Add to Cart.
I do agree it was a bit misleading at first.
But then, Free Shipping (and no mention along it of surcharge on certain items).

Still $5 to ship for a 5x8 carpet along with pad isn't a bad deal.

And using "MITTENS" for 25% off (purchase $100 or more) got me down $55...

PS. A KitchenAid mixer (Artisan 5qt or larger) is heavy ... specs show 26lbs...
wideglide36
Altoona, PA

wideglide36

It's not the amount they charged that bothers me, it's the claim of free shipping, with no mention of any "sur charges".

When I checked out, it had a zero amount for "free shipping" and a $7.50 charge for "free standard shipping". I figured it was a mistake and went ahead and ordered it.

After awhile I thought that maybe I had better email Kohl's and ask about this extra charge as it was still listed every time I checked my account online.

I think that's more than misleading, I think that's being very deceptive. Maybe it's just me?

When a company claims free shipping on anything, if there is any other charge associated with that order it should be clearly stated. Again, just my opinion.

I really don't consider 20 or so pounds heavy?

Not like it's a refrigerator or stove.
wideglide36

wideglide36

Their claim of free shipping didn't say "free shipping" on certain orders, it said free shipping on all orders.

So, it's really not free if they charge you to ship certain items?

Why don't they say that?

I'm sure I'm making a big deal out of nothing, I just needed something to complain about today. Insert smiley!!!

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to wideglide36

to wideglide36
said by wideglide36:

I ordered a kitchenaide mixer? Heavy and bulky? I don't think so.

This your first kitchenaid stand mixer? They are very heavy and bulky... but that is a good thing when you are mixing up thick dough

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to wideglide36

to wideglide36
"I ordered a kitchenaide mixer? Heavy and bulky? I don't think so."

What's the part number for the one that's not heavy and bulky? I buy two for my wife right now so I don't have to lug them back and fourth.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to wideglide36

Premium Member

to wideglide36
said by wideglide36:

When I checked out, it had a zero amount for "free shipping" and a $7.50 charge for "free standard shipping". I figured it was a mistake and went ahead and ordered it.

I agree that they should be more clear---BUT your case would have been much stronger if the charge did not appear until later on.

You indicate that the charge DID appear during the checkout, and you "figured it was a mistake" and just disregarded it.

You can't do that in an electronic age. You know better than that.

So I have to say it was partly your fault, too.

Kohl's has more information here:
»cs.kohls.com/app/answers ··· a_id/858

This seems to be an old issue. I have seen complaints posted as far back as 2008.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

They've been having problems sending out Order Shipped e-mails lately.

Eyeballs
Premium Member
join:2000-04-25
Worcester, MA

Eyeballs to wideglide36

Premium Member

to wideglide36
Just weighed my 6 qt Kitchen Aid mixer. 26 pounds even. That's heavy. And they're rugged too!

Heavy enough to break a tile if it falls off the counter. It didn't skip a beat mixing that bread dough, even if it was laying on it's side on the floor on top of a broken tile.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to wideglide36

Premium Member

to wideglide36
I don't think you can blame Kohl's for this one. KitchenAid mixers are definitely heavy and bulky, which is why they are good, and they did tell you when you checked out that the charge was going to be $7.50, you just didn't believe it! In our experiences with Kohl's they've always been very upfront and helpful, we've never had a problem with them. You can't blame problems you create on the store!
wideglide36
Altoona, PA

wideglide36

Wow! Looks like I riled up a few Kohl's fans.

Thanks for every ones opinions. I should have read the fine print a little finer. My mistake.

Next course of action is to try to cancel the mixer and purchase it at another place. Kohl's doesn't seem to want to ship it.

Maybe the next place I buy it from will really have free shipping without a "sur charge"?
wideglide36

wideglide36 to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
The reason I figured that the $7.50 charge was wrong or a mistake, was that it was listed as "free standard shipping". Since there was already a zero amount for free shipping, I assumed this was a mistake. There I go assuming again.

It never mentioned anything about the $7.50 being a sur charge because the item was heavy or bulky. I guess they expected me to know that?

Anyways, lesson learned.

I just can't ever remember another vendor charging me a sur charge for a heavy or bulky item, and I've bought a lot of heavy items online. Can't be 100% sure, but I can't remember any.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to wideglide36

Mod

to wideglide36
Hmmm -- just for grins I went to their website and started the order process for a mixer. The charges appear very clear to me. Note that the surcharge is not listed next to "free standard shipping" but instead on it's own line labeled "shipping surcharge". BTW -- not a Kohl's fan. Rarely ever shop there.

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

motoracer to wideglide36

to wideglide36
"*Based on merchandise totals after transaction discounts and special promotions. Surcharges may apply due to size, weight or special handling required. If your item has a surcharge, it will appear on the product page. Sorry, offer cannot be applied to previous orders."

OP, if you can't read, that isn't Kohl's fault. It's also very clear when you checkout that there is a surcharge.
wideglide36
Altoona, PA

wideglide36 to robbin

to robbin
My account during check out had these items listed:

Merchandise: $314.99
Merchandise offers applied: $ -63.00
Merchandise after discounts: $251.99
Total Shipping: $0.00
Free standard shipping with purchase: $7.50
Shipping Sur charges: $15.12
Total tax: (5.51%)

So as you can see, apparently they listed my tax info under the shipping sur charges and the actual sur charges under "free standard shipping".

A fellow could get a little confused?

BTW, not a fan either as you can see, and definitely won't be shopping there again.

wideglide36

wideglide36

Again, thanks for all your comments.

Probably my fault. I guess I didn't read it accurately, and yes I believe I can read.

Til next time, boys and girls.............

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to wideglide36

to wideglide36
said by wideglide36:

Next course of action is to try to cancel the mixer and purchase it at another place.

If you have a sams club or costco nearby check them out... I picked up a 475 watt 5 quart kitchenaid for $249 BEFORE $50 mail in rebate the other day at sams!

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to wideglide36

Premium Member

to wideglide36
I don't know about online ordering at Kohl's but I LOVE LOVE LOVE shopping there in person. Why not just go to the store and buy the mixer (and see how heavy it really is)?

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to wideglide36

MVM

to wideglide36
Actually - Kitchen Aide mixers are actually pretty heavy for their size and the box is pretty large as well.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to wideglide36

MVM,

to wideglide36
Didn't realize people liked Kohl's so much...

I'll be the one to agree with you. The website advertises it as "Free standard shipping on all items. No exclusions. No promo codes" followed by a small "details" link. Items over X weight sure seems like an exclusion to me. Borderline false advertising, imo.

That said, $7.50 is a reasonable charge. I think everybody would be happy if they just said "Up to $X in free shipping", then make the shipping charge for the bulkier items $(X+7.50). No longer deceptive and just as effective.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Thinkdiff:

Borderline false advertising, imo.

Do you really think that they should be "raked over the Kohl's" ?

NS4683
join:2000-08-25
NJ

NS4683 to wideglide36

to wideglide36
Why do you keep writing surcharge as "sur charge"? Is there some meaning to the way you're writing it?
wideglide36
Altoona, PA

wideglide36

Just a quick update:

I received an email from Kohl's today saying that my order had been "modified". Apparently they cancelled the order after letting me hang for 10 days and gave absolutely no reason for cancelling the order.

I immediately tried calling Kohl's and was put on hold, after what seemed like an eternity, and having to endure the holiday music, I finally hung up.

I then emailed them to confirm that my order had been cancelled and to ask why it had been cancelled. No more red mixers?

I still have another order that has been in limbo for awhile and I'm not holding out too much hope for that one either.

You don't think Kohl's saw my post on here and, yada yada yada, it suddenly got cancelled?

Oh well, it looks like I just might not have to pay that surcharge after all.

Spelled it right this time.........
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

1 recommendation

iknow_t to wideglide36

to wideglide36
right here, »cs.kohls.com/app/answers ··· rcharges kohl's themselves call this a shipping charge!! in the real world, if the shipping is free, there isn't a shipping charge of any kind!!..
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to wideglide36

Premium Member

to wideglide36
You might want to talk to your wife about never shopping at kohls. Mine would boot me out before i could stop her from shopping at kohls. FWIW, She said its hardly ever even a issue. She shops online and in person a lot at Kohls. To the tune of never missing the saturday morning power hours. Even going once a week she still gets stuff online all the time from kohls.
rody_44

1 edit

rody_44 to iknow_t

Premium Member

to iknow_t
They dont call it a shipping charge there . Its called a shipping surcharge. But is a shipping charge and a shipping surcharge the same thing. Not really. The surcharge is a charge over and above what normal shipping would cost do to weight per amount spent and such. In other words it cost to dam much to ship period.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf to wideglide36

Premium Member

to wideglide36
I have never even seen a Kohls but I will go along with you.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Just dont take your wife. They get hooked for life. If your a charge card holder of Kohls. They send out these discount coupons every stinkin month that are good for 30 percent extra off. Along with the sales and kohls dollars you really cant beat it. If my wife only gets the 20 percent one for the month she goes to customer service and says she lost hers till she gets a 30 percenter. Most of our christmas shopping is done there and online. I will get a receipt and copy the savings for Saturday morning power hours. I know last week was a pots and pan set that was at sear for over three hundred we picked up at Kohls for 70 dollars after savings.
rody_44

rody_44

Premium Member

Click for full size
On this day she spent 151 and saved 268 and thats not the best of day as we used a 20 percenter that day. and keep in mind Kohls prices are not high to start with. Out of the 151 your probaly going to get at least thirty or so back in kohls cash. Sometimes they have double kohls cash days. which means you get as much as 60 back to spend later. Actually in case you cant tell. Both me and my wife are hooked on kohls. LOL

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Well, I will update that ... my Kohl's order shipping in two separate shipments. The first was received already (order placed on Sat, rec'd on Wed). The rest of the order hasn't shipped. (the first item did have an email with tracking info).
I am not concerned as it was free +$5 and the 2nd item is a rolled up area rug.
As long as I have it by the holiday week, I am not worried.
Also, since it is holiday season, the shippers are now with temp-help and increased packages.