uniqs

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

hook monitor using hdmi

I have an HP monitor that has DVI and HDMI output. I have a new Mac Mini. I had hooked up my Mac Mini when I got it using a DVI/HDMI connector to the back of the monitor into the DVI input. I had a spare HDMI cable in my house and wanted to hook up the monitor using that rather than the bulky DVI cable plus I thought I would get better resolution. However, when I hooked up the HDMI cable from the back of the Mini to the monitor, the resolution changed to the point that items look blurry on the screen and I could barely see the dock on the bottom. I went into settings and clicked on display and it has it set for "best for display." Underscan was off but I slid it all the way to "More" and the screen then fit the display but everything was blurry. I clicked on "Scaled" and set it to the different settings such as 1080p, etc. but I get the same results. Is it possible that the monitor just doesn't work with the Mini?

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

It must just be treating the HDMI input differently than the DVI input. In the displays preferences you cannot just change the resolution to what would normally be the maximum for that display?

obeythelaw
Premium Member
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

You could try "Best for Display" or choose a scaled setting. Still was "over scaled." I think I fixed it however by going into the HP monitor settings and turning off "over scaled" in the monitor settings. It was set to On. Now my screen looks as good as it did with DVI. I checked the settings and it is now on "best for display" and under scan is off.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to obeythelaw

Premium Member

to obeythelaw
It's possible the monitor only supports 720/1080p via HDMI but has a native resolution that is not exactly one of those two, leading to blurriness. What is the native resolution?

obeythelaw
Premium Member
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

I am including a link to the monitor that I have. The native resolution says it is 1920x1080. Would that make it 1080?»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 24176424

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Yes, that's a 1080p monitor.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

Yeah, the monitor is looking good now after I turned off "over scaled" within the monitor settings. Apparently, that was overriding the settings on the Mac. I'm assuming if I had a nice Apple monitor it would have done it automatically. But too rich for my blood. The HP Pavilion isn't actually that bad.