spc
Search similar:

uniqs

z350babe
@comcast.net

z350babe

Anon

[Help] Help, my engine got boiling hot

My car (2003 Nissan 350Z) over heated and i'm not sure how to check for damage and for what caused it to over heat.
I didn't notice it was overheating (due to having the radio up) until I parked and turned it off, that is when I noticed steam coming from the front rt so I turned key to on so I could check the temp. and it was all the way in hot zone but rapidly going down. I also heard a high pitched noise when I turned the key on but the noise would stop when key was off.
I checked under the hood and I didn't see any water coming from radiator it was wet below and around the reservoir and on top rt side of hood was frozen from water spraying out on to it. In the engine I could hear water boiling
What do I do and how?

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

mattmag

Apparently you are in a cold climate, so it is possible that the coolant had insufficient anti-freeze protection and was not properly circulating. You will need to wait until the engine and coolant is COLD, then open the reservoir and test the antifreeze protection. You can get a cheapie tester at any parts store.

If the freeze protection is correct, and the system is full, then the next most likely issue would be a thermostat that is not opening. If you are not mechanically inclined, that will require a trip to your favorite repair facility to be replaced.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

2 recommendations

Doctor Olds to z350babe

Premium Member

to z350babe
said by z350babe :

I didn't notice it was overheating (due to having the radio up)

The temp gauge is readable no matter how loud the radio volume is set to.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to z350babe

to z350babe
While the VQ has fail safe cooling (at east my 03 G35 did), sounds like you don't have enough freeze protection.

Time to go to a shop, have them flush, fill, and test the coolant. Hopefully you didn't blow 1 or both head gaskets.

z350babe
@comcast.net

z350babe to Doctor Olds

Anon

to Doctor Olds
You are right. Nobody to blame other than my self.
z350babe

z350babe to mattmag

Anon

to mattmag
I did what you suggested and checked the reservoir and the water left in it is frozen as well as the water in the radiator . I checked the oil to look for any sign of water in it but from what I can tell it didn't seem to have any but the oil does look real dark and thick, im not sure what from but it didn't look right.
What do I do now? Is my motor ruined?
Thank You for helping me. I wish I had found this site a little sooner so I could have prevented this whole nightmare.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 recommendation

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by z350babe :

I did what you suggested and checked the reservoir and the water left in it is frozen as well as the water in the radiator .

If you have the knowledge to DIY (do it yourself) then you can drain the cooling system and drain the overflow/reservoir plus clean it out if dirty. Now put all new antifreeze/coolant into the system making sure you bleed all air out of the engine and radiator. Also verify there are no coolant leaks and replace any hoses that look swollen or oil soaked. Replace any rubber hoses that are brittle also. Finally check that the thermostat is operating properly and is not stuck shut or partially shut. If you don't know how to DIY then I don't suggest driving your vehicle at all and instead have it taken/towed to a shop that you trust to winterize your cooling system, check all hoses, and verify it's full operation including thermostat.
said by z350babe :

I checked the oil to look for any sign of water in it but from what I can tell it didn't seem to have any but the oil does look real dark and thick, im not sure what from but it didn't look right.

It sounds like the oil is way past due for a change. How many miles do you drive between oil changes? The oil is the lifeblood of the engine. Either you change the oil and filter every 3 to 5 thousand miles (check your owners manual for "stop 'n go" driving/severe duty change interval recommendation) or have your technician do it for you.

You worry when the oil looks like a chocolate milkshake. Right now it just sounds old and dirty.

Like this: »Can you say Milkshake, Extra Thick!
Expand your moderator at work

Rifleman
Premium Member
join:2004-02-09
p1a

Rifleman to z350babe

Premium Member

to z350babe

Re: [Help] Help, my engine got boiling hot

If your coolant is frozen in the rad it is frozen in the engine as well. Get it in a heated garage ASAP because the ice will crack the block or other vital part---if it hasn't already.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to z350babe

to z350babe

Do as Rifleman See Profile noted, and get it in where it is warm, allow it all to thaw, and drain the radiator and if possible flush it out.

Then refill with antifreeze/water in a 50-50 mix, or a little stronger since you will have some pure water in the engine block that you won't be able to drain.