how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27

knee pads

I'm doing some projects around the house that have me crawling on my hands and knees, removing tack strips comes to mind. My knees just plain can't handle the stress and I need decent knee pads, so I went to home depot (I honestly should just move into this store at this point), but everything they have either has hard, rounded outside caps, which doesn't seem like a good idea on wood flooring, or just plain doesn't fit (the straps are too short).

I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I do need to find something that will work and will have longish straps. Any suggestions?

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

Check out a sports supply store. I picked up knee pads designed for soccer that were comfortable and cloth.

join:2013-07-08
MA

2 edits
reply to Dodge

I own a pair of these:
»www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Non-Ma···JstJDsxE

The flooring pro's get those gel knee pads from the box stores. There should be tons of stuff that's perfect for flooring there like what's linked. Maybe your local box store has a bad selection?

You could check out Amazon as well. Maybe something like this?
»www.amazon.com/McDavid-Hexpad-El···0UVXVZ0/

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA
reply to Dodge

If the use is limited and you don't require an expensive investment, I have found kneepads at the local Dollar stores. Not the highest quality but certainly adquate for the occaisonal use around the home.
--
Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to shdesigns

Volleyball kneepads work very well, too. Not extremely durable, though, as they are cloth-covered... but they're pretty cheap!

Nice thing about them is that there are no straps... they fit like an elastic knee brace. Check out Franklins (brand name)

GadgetsRme
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO
reply to Dodge

I read water meters for a small town, 83 of them spread over a 5mi walk. They are all manual read and all but 3 in pits that require me to get on my knees in dirt, gravel, rocks, you name it. I thought about knee pads but didn't want to walk that far with the darn things around my knees. I bought some Lakin-McKey carpenter jeans with the double front panel and haven't been sorry. It is amazing how much difference that double panel makes. Lakin-McKey also uses heavier jean material than most. I use them around the house and yard and only resort to knee pads if the work calls for heavy lifting.
--
Gadgets

Dodge
Premium

Jeans wouldn't work as it's more of a knee condition issue and less of a getting dirty. As I'm doing all this work I keep thinking back to the "Sunscreen" song, namely "be kind to your knees, they are the only pair you got"

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

I know you said you don't want to pay a whole lot, but you should check out these kneepads from Duluth Trading.

»www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens···030.aspx

GadgetsRme
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO
reply to Dodge

My use isn't so much for the dirt but the points of the gravel, rocks, and cockle burrs. However if you already have a knee condition I can see where pads are necessary. That be kind to your knees reminds me of my Grandfather saying to me when I was working with him: "Boy, lift that right! Ya only got one back take care of it."
--
Gadgets

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to Dodge

I picked up ones at Harbor Freight on the cheap. They did what I needed when I was putting down some new flooring. I got them hanging in the garage should I have a need for them again.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

CompUser

join:2001-11-07
Ada, OH
reply to Dodge

I, like John97, picked up a pair at Harbor Freight. They worked pretty well when I was doing subfloor. In a pinch, I've uses styro-foam. I have some around for insulation and kneeling on it works. I keep a couple pieces in the car in case I have to change a tire.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Dodge

The ones that robbin provided a link to are a little more expensive but well worth it! I've had a pair for many years and they are still in great condition and very comfortable. I tried many kinds before finding these and will never look elsewhere.

Dodge
Premium

I can't find the sizing on those anywhere.