All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mdavej
join:2004-06-09
united state

mdavej

[CATV] Signal problems for channel 705 and 713 in Greenville, SC?

Anybody else lose these on and off since the analog cutoff a few weeks ago? They'll work fine for a few days, then go out a few hours/days, then come back. I'm trying to determine if the problem is on Charter's end or my end. Both are the same QAM256 frequency (63MHz). All 500 or so of my other channels work perfectly. It's just this one frequency that's flaky. Same behavior on all my boxes, so that rules them out. I would think the fact that all other channels work rules out cabling/splitter issues.

Any ideas?

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

said by mdavej:

I would think the fact that all other channels work rules out cabling/splitter issues.

Probably, but it's still possible. Especially if you have an amp somewhere. Something could be screwing up those specific frequencies coming into your house.

What are the signal levels and signal quality/SNR for those channels (and any others on the same QAM)?
mdavej
united state

mdavej

No amps anywhere. Levels are -2 to -1 on the other channels I've checked, and SNR is 36-37dB. On the bad channels, level is -4 or less and SNR fluctuates between 8 and 12 dB. When the channels are working, level and SNR are the same as my other channels.

What would be the same QAM, everything on 63MHz, or is there a range of frequencies?

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

said by mdavej:

What would be the same QAM, everything on 63MHz, or is there a range of frequencies?

Anything on the same frequency. You might check channels on the frequency above and below, as well (especially when the problem channels aren't working)

InTheKnow
@charter.com

InTheKnow

Anon

Do you have a local Channel 3 broadcast?
mdavej
united state

mdavej

OTA, no, but on cable, yes. Analog 3 should be gone though.

@mixdup, I'll do some more checking tonight.
mdavej

mdavej

Thanks for the replies so far. I checked with a couple of neighbors, and they're having the same trouble. At the moment, the signal and SNR is back to normal and both channels are coming in fine again. How do I convince Charter to look further upstream for the source of the problem?

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

you and all of your neighbors need to call and complain. the more people that complain, the higher priority it will get.
mdavej
united state

mdavej

Thanks for all the advice everybody. Looks like Charter must have finally fixed something on their end. Problem went a way 3 days ago and hasn't returned for me or my neighbors.
mdavej

mdavej

Problem is back. Terrible SNR only on 63MHz only. Could it be some kind of LTE leak as was found in another market in another recent thread? If I call Charter, they insist on sending a tech who solves nothing yet charges me $50.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by mdavej:

Problem is back. Terrible SNR only on 63MHz only. Could it be some kind of LTE leak as was found in another market in another recent thread? If I call Charter, they insist on sending a tech who solves nothing yet charges me $50.

LTE leaks only affects 700MHz and up.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy to mdavej

Anon

to mdavej
said by mdavej:

Problem is back. Terrible SNR only on 63MHz only. Could it be some kind of LTE leak as was found in another market in another recent thread?

As stated LTE is only 700 MHz and above. Could be someone using an illegal ham radio operation in your area. Anyone near you have an usually large antenna on their house?
mdavej
united state

mdavej

I haven't seen anything like that. It's strange that it only started happening immediately after the analog cutoff.

Someone in another forum thought it might be that they turned on analog channel 3 for the cutoff to notify folks on analog that they need to get a box. This would interfere directly with 63MHz, the one and only frequency that's been affected.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy

Anon

said by mdavej:

Someone in another forum thought it might be that they turned on analog channel 3 for the cutoff to notify folks on analog that they need to get a box. This would interfere directly with 63MHz, the one and only frequency that's been affected.

makes sense. Try connecting the cable to the TV and turn it to channel 3.

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

They would not have lit up an analog channel on the same frequency as an active QAM. Charter can be incompetent sometimes, but they're not that incompetent.
mdavej
united state

mdavej

Well I plugged in an old analog TV and scanned for channels. I got something on channels 2, 3 and 4. No picture, but no white noise either, like on other channels. So something is definitely there, and it's strong enough to kill the SNR.

I just have no idea how to convince Charter to look into it without another truck roll. They've done that 3 times already.
mdavej

mdavej

In case anyone is curious about the solution, I eventually convinced Charter to send a tech to check out the box feeding my neighborhood instead of sending yet another tech to my house. He found what he told me were "several problems" which he fixed, no details about what they were exactly. He also said several of my neighbors had been complaining as well, something Charter never admitted over the phone.

So finally, after living with this for nearly 3 months, it's fixed. My faith in humanity is restored, as are my Jimmy Kimmel recordings.