pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

PSA: Nexus 5 vibration defects

For anyone with a Nexus 5, please note that there are at least two defects on the vibrator. First is a high pitched "chirpy" noise that, I think, is a bad motor/vibration unit.

The other one, which is what mine unfortunately has and which I've RMA'd it for, is a LOUD buzzing/whirling noise and hollow vibrate, which I think is due to not being properly/fully attached. The iFixit teardown I think confirmed this one.

If you're in doubt, compare with a friend or local T-Mobile/Sprint stores, because it appears to be a common defect.

NoOneCares
join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR

NoOneCares

Mine is working just fine. Thanks though.

ds5v50
join:2003-01-22
Fremont, OH

ds5v50 to pflog

to pflog
Just tested mine.... Okie Dokie... Although I did have it shut off and it took it till the next day to get it to turn back on.

Steimes
I make internets
Premium Member
join:2002-01-08
Belle Vernon, PA

Steimes to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
Mine feels weak, but no sound. I guess I am okay?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

1 recommendation

pflog

MVM

Yeah, you'd know it if you had this I think. You can hear the motor buzzing/whirling in a quiet room. Not just the vibration noise, but it sounds like it's 1/2 attached and bouncing around against the one side instead of being attached. It is night and day different between mine and a friend's whose doesn't do this. Probably only a small number of people affected, but I wanted to throw this out there.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
Looks like the Nexus 5 just got a hardware revision....

»www.phonearena.com/news/ ··· _id50321

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

They still haven't fixed the buzzy vibrator. A friend of a friend works for google and said many people he knows have the issue, and some didn't at first but it started doing it after a while.

I'm on my 3rd and I'm just going to keep this one, despite the buzzy vibrator, as it has no other issues that I know of. And hopefully by Jan/Feb they will have fixed the vibrator issues and I can RMA it then.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

Just tested mine. The vibrator motor's working normally. Then again, I never use it since I hate the damn things.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

I think it's subjective, honestly. I am guessing many sound like mine, but people don't care, aren't sensitive to it, or they think it's just how it is. I've heard a good one, they should not sound like mine. Weird that 7 of the 8 I've held (and 2 others I've heard of from friends of friends) all have the buzzy vibrator but it doesn't seem to be very common at least in this thread. That tells me most don't care or notice, as I find it hard to believe I managed to find or hear of 9 of them out of 10 which is ~90% like this. *shrug* The rest of the device is flawless so I'm holding it and RMA'ing in Jan/Feb until the vibration issue is fixed.