Search similar:

uniqs
RodneyBR
join:2013-12-09
Canada

RodneyBR

How's DSL in Ajax, Ontario?

Hey everyone,

I thinking of switching from Cable to DSL, but would like to hear from other's who have already did it. Was there any issues with the switch, was service as reliable, consistent speeds?

Reason why I'm thinning of switching is I have an aging DOCSIS 2 Cable modem and wan't a faster uploaded speed. I was considering their 25/10 plan.

Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

Thx in advance

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

HiVolt

Premium Member

Unfortunately that's too broad of an area to make any comments... Perhaps post a close intersection to where you live, maybe there are users who are nearby that can share of their experience...

Even still, line quality can vary from street to street, house to house... And sometimes one side of the street has access to a FTTN remote, while the other side is back hauled to a Central Office and can only supply basic up to 6meg speeds...

Have you ran the qualification check on TSI site? Also worth checking is Bell's site by address. That can sometimes be more accurate than TSI's postal code check.

You can also Call TekSavvy or post in the Direct Forum and they can do a more in depth check of what's available.

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON

RizzleQ to RodneyBR

Premium Member

to RodneyBR
Before we assume you qualify for 25/10, did TSI directly say Bell's qualification shows you are able to get 25/10, or at least your postal code on TSI's website shows that?
RodneyBR
Canada

RodneyBR to HiVolt

to HiVolt
I'm in the burbs at the major interestion is Harwood & Rossland
RodneyBR

RodneyBR to RizzleQ

to RizzleQ
Well, actually Teksavvy said I also qualify for the 50/10 package. So I'm assuming that the lines are excellent in my area for DSL.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Generally if you qualify for 50/10, 25/10 should be no problem.

But like with all xDSL services, you never know until it's actually installed.
RodneyBR
Canada

RodneyBR

Yea, that's why I was considering keeping my cable active, until I can test the DSL for a week or so.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by RodneyBR:

Yea, that's why I was considering keeping my cable active, until I can test the DSL for a week or so.

Yep always the best to overlay, not just to make sure it works well, but to account for any install mishaps.
RodneyBR
Canada

RodneyBR

Oh... Will I have any issues using a friends Bell CellPipe 7130 RG VDSL modem? He was apparently with Teksavvy, but moved to Rogers Cable to get a fast download speed.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by RodneyBR:

Oh... Will I have any issues using a friends Bell CellPipe 7130 RG VDSL modem? He was apparently with Teksavvy, but moved to Rogers Cable to get a fast download speed.

TekSavvy now allows to bring your own modem for VDSL services, so yeah I don't see why not.
RodneyBR
Canada

1 edit

RodneyBR

Yea, I can't see why it wouldn't either. So my plan is or order it and once they tell me it's active connect the Bell CellPipe 7130 RG VDSL modem and cross my fingers? Bud was good enough to loan me the modem to see if it works fine first.

BTW: I currently have a 28/1 package, which is no longer available and rates have gone up, so it's $49+ taxes... So 39.99+5 for a 25/10 package seems like a good move.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

25/10 is $39.99 actually, maybe you mistyped it.
RodneyBR
Canada

RodneyBR

Yes, misprint
RodneyBR

RodneyBR

I'll post later how I make out....

Minakl
@209.171.44.x

Minakl to RodneyBR

Anon

to RodneyBR
I am not far from there (halfway to Westney) and the DSL server 6\1 (my needs are modest) has been good. The initial install was a bit difficult as the speed was only 2\.5. It took a far bit of convincing of TekSavvy that the problem wasn't mine. I still had by Bell DSL on a second phone line (same package as what TS was selling me) and was get 5.9\.8. I even had a second modem and the results were the same. Obviously, the distance from my house to the CO or remote didn't change. Eventually a Bell tech showed up, replaced a "line card" and all has been good fro almost 2 years.
RodneyBR
Canada

RodneyBR

Thx for letting me know... Teksavvy did a check in my area and said I qualify for 50/10, so I'm hoping that 25/10 wouldn't be a problem. I'm still gonna keep the cable hooked up, so I'll test the DSL for a while and see how it is, if fine I'll drop their cable service.
RodneyBR

1 edit

RodneyBR

Just got off the phone with Teksavvy and ordered the DSL 25/10 package. I was told that the tech who comes out has to install a splitter inside the home at the main. The issue with that is my basement is finished and it's difficult to wire a RJ45 cable from the modem to my wireless router 30 feet away.

I wonder can the tech install the splitter close to my work computer, instead of at the main?

And if I need an RJ45 cable to go from the modem to the router, what do you guys suggest? I'm thinking cat 6...
RodneyBR

RodneyBR

Actually, I guess I don't really need a Cat 6 from modem to router... Cat 5e should be more than enough.
RodneyBR

RodneyBR

25/10 DSL installed and all great

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Looks great, 25/10 with fastpath!
RodneyBR
Canada

RodneyBR

My blog on the install »rodneyreynolds.com/2013/ ··· erience/

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by RodneyBR:

My blog on the install »rodneyreynolds.com/2013/ ··· erience/

"They basically resell Rogers and Bell's services". You might want to correct this part.

It's a CRTC regulated wholesale system based on leasing the last mile access from the incumbent, and paying them a great deal to do it. TekSavvy (and all other 3rd party DSL and Cable ISP's) have their own routing equipment and internet transit connections.

When people that don't know the ins & outs of wholesale, it makes them think that 3rd party ISP's somehow "leech" off the incumbents. Far from it.

I know you didnt write it like that intentionally, just giving you a heads up.

RizzleQ
Premium Member
Windsor, ON

RizzleQ to RodneyBR

Premium Member

to RodneyBR
Glad to hear about another smooth and seamless install. (BTW, the link to speedtest.net is broken at the end of your blog post)
RodneyBR
Canada

RodneyBR

HiVolt, I updated the post. Thx
RodneyBR

RodneyBR to RizzleQ

to RizzleQ
I since linked it to my Speedtest results. Can you see the Speedtest image?

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I see it just fine. It worked fine before as well.

RizzleQ
Premium Member
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

RizzleQ to RodneyBR

Premium Member

to RodneyBR
Yeah, I can see the image just fine but I was referring to the link to speedtest.net which actually links to www.speedtest.net/r

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to RodneyBR

Premium Member

to RodneyBR
O yeah, I misread.
RodneyBR
Canada

RodneyBR to RizzleQ