Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

[Electrical] Conduit through brick and block

I have added a 6 circuit manual transfer switch to my electrical panel and am now ready to install the outside receptacle. I plan on running a 1/2 inch pvc conduit through my block and brick wall to the outside box. My question is, what size hole do I need for it.

My plan is to run the conduit straight into the back of the box. So the outside hole needs to accommodate the outside width of the adapter. I have not gotten the supplies yet so I have not been able to measure.

Just thought someone here might know off the top of their head the correct size and/or a good way of creating the hole. I am going to be pulling out an old telephone wire so I already have a small guide hole to start from.

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
3/4"? Nunya would be the one to ask.
--
"Recognize, Realize, and Repent"

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to ropeguru
As I recall 1/2" conduit needs a 7/8" hole (3/4" is slightly tight) and the adapter requires a 1 1/8". I have normally used a masonry drill bit with a hammer drill but could also probably use a bimetal hole saw.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

My question is, what size hole do I need for it.

One through and one and a quarter for the connectors.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
So I am guessing a 1 1/4 on both sides. One side will have the the threaded adapter into the outside box, and the other side will have a 90 degree LB.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to ropeguru
The easiest way is a rotary hammer drill. If you don't have one, you can rent one. 1-1/8" for 1/2" pvc fittings. The pipe itself only needs 7/8".

The "rule of thumb" I've always used is trade size + 3/8". This works until 2".
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
Thanks nunya!!

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ropeguru
I did similar and I think I used a 1-1/4 core bit on a rotary hammer. I set a thick bead of electrician's putty around the fitting in some holes, caulked around others. Test fit it all and think about your mounting sequence so you aren't trying to push a fitting through a hole that's only big enough to pass the conduit. I seem to recall learning some of that on-the-spot!

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
Thanks for the tips. My plan is to start on the inside and place the outside fitting for the box last. That way it will be secure when I go to seal the outside hole.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
I always try to drill at a slightly downward angle from inside to outside. That way any type of water infiltration drains out instead of in and doesn't just depend on caulk.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

My plan is to start on the inside and place the outside fitting for the box last.

Either way, drill a 1/4 " or so pilot hole through the wall to make sure you have a path and to guide a larger bit, which will without do some really funky shit as it transitions from concrete, to brick and mortar and beyond without one, also a pilot hole allows you to pre-drill larger hole into the outside or inside of the wall to prevent cratering out the block or brick or whatever as the larger bit hits the end of the hole and punches out versus drilling the last bit of the material.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
Already have the pilot hole which currently has an old telephone wire in it.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by ropeguru:

Already have the pilot hole which currently has an old telephone wire in it.

Don't try to drill with the wire still in there, it will wrap itself around the bit and cause a real PITA.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to ropeguru
If you follow he suggestions puil out the wire. Go outside and drill in. Be very sure water can't get inside the box. Backplaster and tar works really well except in wet and extremely cold weather. All you need is one sunny day above freezing, Pull the wire through. Make sure the plaster is dry and the tar is nearly boiling hot. Then connect the box. You will not have a leak.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside