uniqs
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

tlbepson

Premium Member

[Guide] Cisco stb's to get 1.9.5 on 12/10

According a notice in my Cisco stb's Messages section, Cisco stb's are due to be "upgraded" the Guide to 1.9.5 on 12/10/13.

I hope the new version is not going to totally screw up the current Cisco stb closed caption implementation which displays closed captions when any of the closed caption options (CC1-CC6) are chosen--Verizon Motorola stb's only display closed captions when CC1 is used. I find CC1 to be almost illegible (none of the closed caption settings options help CC1's legibility issues) and so I use CC3 most of the time (sometimes I use CC4).

It is my understanding that 1.9.5--on the Motorola boxes at least--has changed the coding for the stb *(cc) key so that it only turns closed captioning Off or On rather than allowing the user to cycle through the closed caption options (CC1, CC2, CC3, CC4, CC5, CC6 and Off) which is annoying for me because I use the *(cc) to switch from my normal CC3 to CC4 (the closed captions display better on some PBS stations using CC4).

I guess I'll find out tomorrow...

icemannyr1
join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

icemannyr1

On VH07 we got a note on 12/03 that the update was happening for Cisco STBs on 12/05. Does VHO7 even have Cisco STBs?
tlbepson
Premium Member
dc metro

tlbepson

Premium Member

I don't know where VHO7 is--I can never remember the numbers. I suspect that since you are in NJ, that VHO7 is NJ? I'm in the DC metro area and we do have Cisco stb's--thank goodness because the implementation of closed captioning on the Cisco stb's is infinitely better than on the Motorola stb's. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that 1.9.5 doesn't screw up the closed captioning on the Cisco stb's...'-}}

shmee
join:2005-04-03
Phoenixville, PA

shmee to tlbepson

to tlbepson

Re: [Guide] Cisco stb's to get 1.9.5 on 12/10

whoa!

got this on both my cisco boxes in vho8. it was live when i came home from work at about 10:30pm yesterday (12/9/13).

guide refresh is very nice! it looks much more polished than previous iterations. although, the glaring ad at the bottom is a bit silly. maybe i'm missing a setting to turn it off or something.

and overall response feels soooooo much better than it ever has! finally, no crazy terrible remote button lag.

two thumbs up verizon. and this is coming from a guy who ditched your wireless service for pre-paid 18 months ago. i do not like you big red, but this time, you did right by me.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to icemannyr1

MVM

to icemannyr1
Yes VHO7 has Cisco.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601 to shmee

to shmee
An ad at the bottom of the guide? Ughh, my parents have Suddenlink and I hate having to see and scroll through the ad when on the guide.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by kes601:

An ad at the bottom of the guide? Ughh, my parents have Suddenlink and I hate having to see and scroll through the ad when on the guide.

»STB Update on November 14th

Take a look in the above thread.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Thanks, not on here a lot anymore so I don't always take the time to read the multi-page threads.
tlbepson
Premium Member
dc metro

tlbepson

Premium Member

Well...1.9.5 has totally screwed up the closed captions on the Cisco stb's! I am sooo pissed about this. It is so frustrating that I'm giving serious consideration to switching back to Comcast or some other TV provider even if I have to pay a termination fee to Verizon. UGH!