how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jim_mi

join:2011-04-13
Saint Clair Shores, MI

WOW and Clear QAM

I'm a WOW customer in St Clair Shores, MI who currently receives WOW clear QAM. Will clear QAM be available in the future, or will a DTA or STB be required for all but Limited Basic cable?

If clear QAM is going away I want some time to find a new provider or plan the move to streaming or other TV service.

Thanks,
Jim

dfs459

@wideopenwest.com

I read that Comcast is trying to get the FCC to stop clear QAM so they can make us pay for more boxes.
Figures, As greedy as Comcast is.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to jim_mi

said by jim_mi:

I'm a WOW customer in St Clair Shores, MI who currently receives WOW clear QAM. Will clear QAM be available in the future, or will a DTA or STB be required for all but Limited Basic cable?

If clear QAM is going away I want some time to find a new provider or plan the move to streaming or other TV service.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

I don't think anyone knows at this point if WOW will retire Clear QAM -- they are one of the few if not only major cable system I am aware of that actually does "clear" QAM -- Most have locals if that and nothing else in clear (sans a shopping or PPV Barker channel).

Most providers require boxes -- Satellite you must use a receiver on every tv..

Best you can do at this point is enjoy it while WOW offers it.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to dfs459

said by dfs459 :

I read that Comcast is trying to get the FCC to stop clear QAM so they can make us pay for more boxes.

There is NO FCC requirement to my knowledge to offer Clear QAM at this point -- Most providers don't.. I have TWC and the only channels "Clear" QAM are ABC,CBS,FOX,NBC, one of the Shopping Channels and a few random PPV Barker channels.

jim_mi

Saint Clair Shores, MI
reply to Matt7

Without info from WOW on their plans, that sounds like the only thing to do. Maybe WowDan can weigh in...

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:1
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Hi Jim_MI (nice name! LOL). We can only hope clear-QAM becomes a WOW distinction and, thus, a major selling point. Only then will it stick around.

But WOW is not free of competition by any means. One can shout all day long how competition is good but it does have a negative side when real costs and revenue protection starts being needed - which is exactly why hardly anyone else has clear-QAM.

There's a big picture at work making cable companies quite aware they will degrade into "bit-haulers" exclusively with media profits drying up. It really will be something to watch over the next decade.

Sorry if I got on a soap box. Wish I knew the answer to your question, too.

lesmikesell

join:2013-06-10
Mount Prospect, IL

"Degrade to bit haulers"??? That's exactly what I want!

jim_mi

Saint Clair Shores, MI
reply to Bill_MI

Re: WOW and Clear QAM

Ah... Two "_mi"s... 8>)

I hope WOW realizes how valuable clear QAM is to many of their subscribers. It's the only reason I went to WOW in the first place, when Comcast began requiring an STB.

I guess I should start investigating my options in case they do eliminate it. A central antenna would provide local, and a non-cable option may be available for other programming. Several friends have "cut the cable" and have been encouraging me to do the same.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:4
reply to Matt7

said by Matt7:

said by dfs459 :

There is NO FCC requirement to my knowledge to offer Clear QAM at this point -- Most providers don't.. I have TWC and the only channels "Clear" QAM are ABC,CBS,FOX,NBC, one of the Shopping Channels and a few random PPV Barker channels.

I have TWC and I get about 30 Clear QAM channels. I get more than the ones listed on Oceanic TWC's web page. You need to let your TV search for them. Some are in 1080i HD and some are 480i (I have Standard Analog TV Service bulk rate so it is nice to get some channels as digital without the need for a digital box).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

jim_mi

Saint Clair Shores, MI
reply to jim_mi

Re: WOW and Clear QAM - WoW Dan?

WoW Dan - any info on the future of clear QAM?

adam1991

join:2012-06-16
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

I can give you an answer: right up until three months before the switch to all digital, WOW was saying that analog wasn't going away.

Please don't expect any company to make public any of its business plans. You'll know what they're going to do when they actually do it.

jim_mi

Saint Clair Shores, MI

So it's "ask a silly question and..."