Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
join:2001-12-05
united state
·Charter

Rungel

Premium Member

[Speed Issues] 100% loss to my first hop

I've been having this problem for a long time.. my gaming keeps getting worse every night .. last year i did have issues outside my house and i'm wondering if the same is going on now.. they buried a new line back at that time..
This is windows 7 pro
modem NetGear CG 3000D DOCSIS 3.0
»/testh ··· 81/2dc0d

Right now seems pretty good but at night it's a different situation

Any suggestions?

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

that just means it's not responding to pings. it is impossible to actually have 100% packet loss to your first hop and still be online.

InTheKnow
@charter.com

InTheKnow to Rungel

Anon

to Rungel
The first hop would be your LAN check routers, Switches, NICs, Ethernet cables ect.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state
·Charter

Rungel

Premium Member

said by InTheKnow :

The first hop would be your LAN check routers, Switches, NICs, Ethernet cables ect.

Well i have no switches .. NIC's that i know of.. Replace Ethernet cable maybe? I hate how the performance of my internet connection fluctuates good - bad - sucks.. a few years ago they told me i had very old wiring outside.. the cables in the ground.. how can i get a tech out here to check?
duffman45200
join:2010-09-20

duffman45200

Do you have a router behing your cable modem? Or a combo modem/gateway device? Most consumer router's by default will not respond to a ping on the WAN interface (for security reasons), and thus that's why you will see the 100% loss on the 1st hop. Perfectly normal.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state

Rungel

Premium Member

This is a combo modem/gateway.. well if this is normal.. i sure don't need it.. i'll try a different cat cable.. after that hello att dsl
duffman45200
join:2010-09-20

duffman45200

said by Rungel:

This is a combo modem/gateway.. well if this is normal.. i sure don't need it.. i'll try a different cat cable.. after that hello att dsl

The 100% loss at 1st hop is normal. If you are having other issues then you need to call Charter, as you may have a line issue. It would be helpful as well if you could post modem stats.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state
·Charter

Rungel

Premium Member

Click for full size
Where do i look for stats

InTheKnow
@charter.com

InTheKnow

Anon

I would swap the Netgear for a standalone modem and a separate router first. Your signals dont look bad.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state
·Charter

Rungel

Premium Member

said by InTheKnow :

I would swap the Netgear for a standalone modem and a separate router first. Your signals dont look bad.

I was just reading about turning off the wireless and using a separate router.. i guess the game i've been playing are problems with there servers.. or last update for the game actually..someone said in the forums for WOT that it worked for them..

Thanks

DLow
join:2013-11-16
Waxahachie, TX

DLow to Rungel

to Rungel
If you still have a 2 in 1 modem/router combo you need to Call Charter, In the Ft Work Region we no longer offer the 2 in 1 combo we offer a stand alone modem & router.

Ive had near a hundred upgrades in the past year to take out a 2 in 1 and put in a stand alone combo.

-Charter Tech.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state

Rungel

Premium Member

Thank you.. I will call..

DLow
join:2013-11-16
Waxahachie, TX

1 recommendation

DLow

Also just to let you know, They may tell you there is a $39.99 charge for a tech to come in and configure a stand alone router, Ask them to speak to a supervisor to get it waived. 9/10 times they will waive the fee since you have a 2 in 1 combo.

Now charter provides a Cisco or Moto modem with a higher end netgear router that offers a 2.5 & 5ghz channel. So all around your on older equip its time to upgrade.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state

Rungel

Premium Member

After weeks of having this problem with my game.. it's cleared up.. may have to cancel the upgrade.. there charging 29.99 plus 5$ a month..
Rungel

Rungel

Premium Member

Even surfing seems much better »www.pingtest.net/result/ ··· 3387.png
Rungel

Rungel

Premium Member

After going through the same thing past few days with all the wet weather we've had.. i went with an update.. and it seems to be doing real good.. they changed all my outside connections.. and i went with a separate modem/router..