All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid to HELLFIRE

to HELLFIRE

Re: [Config] Performance due to VLAN, incomplete STP, or loop backs?

2960S can stack 4 and we deploy them with total of 5 VLANs. stale,user, printer,mgmt,voice. 2960S is utter junk 2975s on the other hand are awesome other than it cannot support POE on all ports. But the QoS on the stack and other factors are there...
markysharkey
Premium Member
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

The 2975 has gone EOL and is replaced by the 2960S, which is soon to be replaced by the 2960X.
As mentioned earlier, just how much were you asking the 2960 to do before determining it utter junk? I have had 0 reliability issues with mine in the field. For reference, they are all doing inter vlan routing for the LAN's for between 5 - 10 VLAN's and a little QoS/VoIP. A couple of them have ACL's / VLAN maps for inter VLAN security but that's it. No dot1x, no mac address security, no DHCP Snooping. Most have to push high end streamed media, I'm talking 1080p 3D and soon, 4K content. They seem to handle it just fine.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Finding out that the 2960 can do static routing has me interested, but I'm not sure how I'd want to do it

with a 3560 I'd be able to do it with a routing protocol, but with a 2960 I'd have to use static routes, so I goues I'd have to make a static rout pointing to each of the 4 etherswitch's p-t-p links and have them all with equal metrics but would those 4 be last resort routes or would I then need more routes to cover that.

(I'm not a fan of static routes because you have to make so many of them to have route redundancy, and well will a route load balance static routes?)(although I'd have to get my hands on that newer IOS that adds this support.)
markysharkey
Premium Member
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

I'm not a fan of static routes because you have to make so many of them

Summarise...
although to be fair you still have to add an SVI for each VLAN so there are no shortcuts here. But once the SVI and layer 2 VLAN is up it'll appear in the routing table so there is no "extra" work to do unless you force it upon yourself.
No idea how you would interact with the etherswitch on the 3845 'cos I've never used one. I doubt it would take long to figure it out in the lab though. It's simple routing after all.
In production, as I have said before, I use the 2960S to route local LAN / inter-VLAN traffic with a default route pointing to the edge router. This keeps load off the router so it can concentrate on the various security and NAT duties required for internet connectivity. I have found it works very well indeed.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

I have 3 (planned 4) etherswitches each is running the same IOS as a 3750 with AdvipServ IOS, and are able to do intervlan routing, what I'd like is to load balance them at L3 so I'd need 4 static routes and for them to balance the load
DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Thought about it more and well using a 2960 with static only routing would not be so good for my setup

1. I'd have to put in 4x 0.0.0.0 routes on it then I'd have to put in 8 static routes on each etherswitch (though maybe put them on one and do redistribute statics) and then static routes don't react to link state changes so it'd not be so good.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by DarkLogix:

then static routes don't react to link state changes so it'd not be so good.

ipsla with object tracking is your friend here.
doubt the c2960 support it, but you can inject reachability, etc into decision making for injection/withdrawl of routes, etc.

q.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

I think I'm leaning more toward wanting a WS-C3560G-24PS so I can just do dynamic instead

(as I doubt I'll get that newer IOS anyway)
Though I guess I'll look into smartnet for my 2960G to see if its in a price range I might be able to do

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by DarkLogix:

I think I'm leaning more toward wanting a WS-C3560G-24PS so I can just do dynamic instead

it may be easier to start building a lab so you don't muck up your production network.

q.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Its my home network, so it puts some pressure on me to actually solve any issue I come to where as in a lab I might just get lazy.

well looks like about $200 for smartnet for the 2960G (CON-SNT-C2960G2C) vs $800 ebay for the 3560G

reasons for the 3560G that I searched
gig POE (could upgrade my AP without having to go to an injector)
dynamic routing
less limited

reasons for the Smartnet
cheaper
upgrade the IOS on the 2960G to gain new features

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by DarkLogix:

Its my home network, so it puts some pressure on me to actually solve any issue I come to where as in a lab I might just get lazy.

yes -- but a lab allows you to actually think through a problem and not only find a solution, but understand *why* it works, rather than running to forums and going "OH NOES!!! TEH INTERNETZ IS BROKE!!!11".

just a thought.

q.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well I only posted that NAT post because I looked and couldn't find anything

I did clearly have a workaround to get on the internet.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid

px is the poe+ on the EX switches... The 2960S has been as every can see has gone thru it's short life span that was well over due. I am not putting my money on the 2960X either. The Stack needs to have QoS, 2960 does not. Anyone saying they have no problems on a stack of 2960s, then they really are not using it. I call the SOHO users. It's designed for such, not enterprise class.