All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

RH_User
@teksavvy.com

RH_User

Anon

No QoS on TP-LINK C7 Archer? Only Bandwidth allocation?

I just setup a new C7 Archer and I was surprised to find that it does not have any QoS. Only IP based bandwidth allocation.

I have many devices at home and two teenage kids who do not know what "share" means, no matter how much I explain. I need to be able to control traffic priority so video streaming or online gaming takes priority over let's say P2P. Or another way around, if P2P is required so replication, let's say.

I was looking for QoS option since bandwidth allocation simply slices the pipe.

So, is this true C7 does not support it or I simply can't find it? Does QoS even work on typical routers? Which one you would recommend for my purposes?

With mobile and work tools, I can have up to 20 wireless devices connected.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

Guessing you're referring to section 4.17 in this doc

I guess my question is what exactly were you expecting for "QOS controls." Short version is mfr stock firmware likely
doesn't come with many bells / whistles / knobs. 2ndly, QOS is a blanket term for many forms of control -- others
include packet marking, LLQ, shaping / policing, etc.

Two options I see for you OP -- a) return the TPLINK and look for a device that has the control you want, or b) look
at an alt firmware that has more granular control.

My 00000010bits

Regards

RH_User
@teksavvy.com

RH_User

Anon

What I am looking for is:

I want to be able to set priorities on the end points on my network. I want to let's say:

- my work laptop to have highest priority and be able to use all available bandwidth regarding of the application I am running
- my kids workstations to have low priority meaning if they want to use all the bandwidth, they can but only if my work laptop is t claiming it
- give high priority to a dedicated media server I have
- give high priority to iPads for Netflix streaming for example

Last night, my kid was uploading for mastering some huge music files he produced. It knocked off all other end point. I do not want to limit his bandwidth but just give him a bit lower priority over the rest.

Are there any routers that can do that?
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to RH_User

MVM

to RH_User
If your kid uploading his latest and greatest hit is knocking off everyone else, either a) the router's
too anemic to handle the load, and b) packet marking (which is basically what you're describing) may
not be enough. I'd honestly look into the existing controls the TPLINK has instead. That way your
kid -- while s/he doesn't get the whole pipe -- at least gets a part of it, and everyone else gets the rest.

Otherwise, as I said "mfr stock firmware likely doesn't come with many bells / whistles / knobs."
You're looking at DDWRT, tomato, etc. that will run on a compatible router.

Or a higher-end prosumer / entry level enterprise piece of kit to do what you want.

My 00000010bits

Regards
HELLFIRE

HELLFIRE to RH_User

MVM

to RH_User
Now that I review your desired QOS config, if you're a tinkerer / DIY type, the Edgemax ERL may be an option.
You could possibly adapt something like this matching on the source / destination and allocating bandwidth accordingly.

While this gives you the most control, it is DEFINATELY _NOT_ for the faint of heart

My 00000010bits

Regards

RH_User
@teksavvy.com

RH_User

Anon

Thank you. The policy is similar to what TP-LINK offers with their IP QoS where I can actually allocate min/max bandwidth. I tested it with 2 P2P end points, just to generate the load and while max setting did kick in, min allocation was not working. I suppose this is due to the nature of P2P though. I am checking with TP-LINK support if I the settings are going to work as advertised.

One thing though. TP-LINK is stating that they can't differentiate between video and game streaming while other manufactures are making those their key selling points. I went to Best Buy yesterday and all boxes these days say Gaming Router/Enhanced Video streaming... Do you know if these are just marking moves or this is actually working?

I suppose I have better controls if I can guarantee bandwidth based on known IPs/ports vs relying on a $100 router to know.

HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to RH_User

MVM

to RH_User
said by RH_User :

TP-LINK is stating that they can't differentiate between video and game streaming while other manufactures are making those their key selling points.

I call marketing horses**t on this personally, or a lie by omission.

"video" is a pretty loose definition, the question for the actual device doing the QOS is HOW to identify "video."
At the enterprise level, which is where I work professionally, there's some pretty welldefined multimedia protocols
like RTP, RTSP, etc., but the TPLINK likely doesn't have a clue about what this is.

Secondly, what is the video source? Youtube? Netflix? A little embedded flash video? Again, the device has to have
the brains to figure out this is video and needs to be prioritize according. The example I posted above is one way
-- by destination IP address -- but to look up every IP address Youtube, et al. is or ever could be will drive you
bonkers. Imagine a neverending game of whackamole... to ID every IP address Youtube, or server(s) that host Youtube content, sits on.

Thirdly is how the video is being delivered... example via wellknown multimedia protocols or plain old HTTP. If HTTP,
then the problem you can run into is one video over HTTP stream can overload you, but the device isn't at fault,
it's just allocating the bandwidth according to the rules you configured.

On the other hand, games are generally alittle more well behaved, so ID'ing them by TCP or UDP port #
is pretty doable for a dinky little home idiot box.

tl;dr -- it comes down to what control you want at a level of technical knowhow you're comfortable with. Before you
buy into the marketing hype on the box, I'd do alittle research into the actual product.

My 00000010bits

Regards