spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Anon
@mchsi.com

Anon

Anon

[MO] Painfully SLOW INTERNET

Mediacom has suddenly become slow AGAIN. It's as if the servers have too many people using them. If I want to check email at 3 am it runs like a charm, but any other time of the day and I may as well be using dialup. The internet is just too slow to do much of anything. So frustrating. The lag is terrible and it takes forever to load pages. I've already done the usual cleanup & maintenance. Here are some recent speed tests and modem info. Any ideas?

MegaPath SanFrancisco Calif "Connection Problems. Please Try Again."

Lynksys - BEFCMU10 ver. 4

Downstream Channel

Lock Status Operational
Modulation 256QAM
Channel ID 78
Provisioned Rate 3600 kbps
Symbol Rate 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Power -6.4 dBmV
SNR 35.1 dB

Upstream Channel

Lock Status Operational
Modulation 16QAM
Channel ID 2
Provisioned Rate 614 kbps
Symbol Rate 5120 Ksym/sec
Upstream Power 51.2 dBmV

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Hello there, those speeds definitely do look lower than they should be. Slow speeds can be caused by many different things and it would take some troubleshooting to track down the issue. I would be happy to work with you on this. Please private message me your account or phone number and we can get started working towards a resolution.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
If you are in the Midwest use this website

»speedtest.comcast.net/ and select Chicago, IL server

Also your modem is really old and I would consider getting a DOCSIS 3 modem like Motorola Surfboard 6141. When you do a speed test make sure you bypass your router and use wired connection direct to the modem. Assuming your modem is reporting your signal correctly I think there is some room for improvement (eliminate a splitter if possible).
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6

I second Anonymous in saying that your modem is really, really old and needs to be replaced. I used to have that same model of modem and it just couldn't hack it anymore. Even replacing it with a newer DOCSIS 2 modem (or better yet a D3-compatible modem) will make loads of difference, which is what I did (as I used my son's leftover modem from when he lived in an apartment before going into the military). A difference of night and day compared to that particular old Linksys, and for the same Launch service speed that you have. That old Linksys can't handle on-the-fly changes in channels, for instance, and can't sustain streaming very well, both which will cause it to stall out (requiring a restart).

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
Anon, are you still seeing the speed issues? If so, please feel free to send me an IM with your account or phone number and I will be more than happy to look into this.