uniqs
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to jim_mi6

to jim_mi6

Re: WOW and Clear QAM

said by jim_mi6:

I'm a WOW customer in St Clair Shores, MI who currently receives WOW clear QAM. Will clear QAM be available in the future, or will a DTA or STB be required for all but Limited Basic cable?

If clear QAM is going away I want some time to find a new provider or plan the move to streaming or other TV service.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

I don't think anyone knows at this point if WOW will retire Clear QAM -- they are one of the few if not only major cable system I am aware of that actually does "clear" QAM -- Most have locals if that and nothing else in clear (sans a shopping or PPV Barker channel).

Most providers require boxes -- Satellite you must use a receiver on every tv..

Best you can do at this point is enjoy it while WOW offers it.
jim_mi6
join:2011-04-13
Saint Clair Shores, MI

jim_mi6

Without info from WOW on their plans, that sounds like the only thing to do. Maybe WowDan can weigh in...

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

Hi Jim_MI (nice name! LOL). We can only hope clear-QAM becomes a WOW distinction and, thus, a major selling point. Only then will it stick around.

But WOW is not free of competition by any means. One can shout all day long how competition is good but it does have a negative side when real costs and revenue protection starts being needed - which is exactly why hardly anyone else has clear-QAM.

There's a big picture at work making cable companies quite aware they will degrade into "bit-haulers" exclusively with media profits drying up. It really will be something to watch over the next decade.

Sorry if I got on a soap box. Wish I knew the answer to your question, too.
lesmikesell
join:2013-06-10
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell

"Degrade to bit haulers"??? That's exactly what I want!
jim_mi6
join:2011-04-13
Saint Clair Shores, MI

jim_mi6 to Bill_MI

to Bill_MI
Re: WOW and Clear QAM

Ah... Two "_mi"s... 8>)

I hope WOW realizes how valuable clear QAM is to many of their subscribers. It's the only reason I went to WOW in the first place, when Comcast began requiring an STB.

I guess I should start investigating my options in case they do eliminate it. A central antenna would provide local, and a non-cable option may be available for other programming. Several friends have "cut the cable" and have been encouraging me to do the same.