share rss forum feed

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1

[Plumbing] Had to plunge a Champion Toilet

Without getting into too much detail but I had to plunge my new Champion Toilet today.

I thought these things said Never Plunge Again.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2

Since when did marketing and advertising become 100% factual or guaranteed?

Do I think the Champion toilets have features that about eliminates the need for plunging in normal use? Yes. Do I think any toilet can be filled with enough items that it will clog at some point? Yes... of course.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

1 recommendation

I've been in this house since 1989 two bathrooms and have never had to plunge either of them. I have to wonder just what is being put in some of them that causes them to plug.

NS4683

join:2000-08-25
South Amboy, NJ
reply to IowaCowboy

Try introducing more fiber into your diet.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to IowaCowboy

I have a champion and kohler. The kohler clogged a little a couple of times and actually just sitting there unclogged itself before I could plunge.
Thing is both are way better that the old small tract home ones that had been there for years. Wish i had replaced them sooner. Those just clogged looking at them.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to IowaCowboy

my contractor grade American Standard plugs after a solid "all you can eat taco night" BM but the Kohler doesnt. there are a few factors to consider, the draw on the outlet pipe too, my american standard i know has a very long horizontal run to the stack. Given the right conditions every toilet can block.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

I have to wonder just what is being put in some of them that causes them to plug.

Garbage in; garbage out.

I'm look forward to hearing what dennismurphy See Profile has to say about a Champion toilet failing.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

I've been in this house since 1989 two bathrooms and have never had to plunge either of them. I have to wonder just what is being put in some of them that causes them to plug.

That contractor grade American Standard (installed in 1988) in the upstairs bathroom is notorious for clogging that the plunger sits right next to it. The new champion seems to have a powerful flush. I don't want to get into detail but we'll say that TP was the culprit here.

I've had to snake out the shower drain more than once as my mother has long hair. The lease with our current landlord is a verbal agreement but the written lease with the previous landlord said drain stoppages were our responsibility.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

join:2013-07-08
MA

said by IowaCowboy:

I've had to snake out the shower drain more than once as my mother has long hair. The lease with our current landlord is a verbal agreement but the written lease with the previous landlord said drain stoppages were our responsibility.

The written lease means nothing since it's expired. With a verbal lease you default to the state laws. The landlord is responsible for normal wear and tear while the tenant for abuse, damage, and neglect. Tenant's have the responsibility of maintaining the premises in good working order. Most landlords will come and try to fix the problem but once they see it's a tenant issue they will either tell the tenant that's their problem or get their OK to do the work and bill them for it.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA

I think a snake works much better than Drain Cleaner.

It becomes a landlord issue once it gets into the main line as it could be from either unit.

MA

said by IowaCowboy:

It becomes a landlord issue once it gets into the main line as it could be from either unit.

If it's tenant damage on a multi-unit building they'd just repair it then split the repair bill among all tenant's in that building. Tenant's can't escape that easy.

A common one is cooking oil which tenant's pour down the drain.

brian
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Lake Forest, CA
reply to IowaCowboy

The only time we've had to plunge ours in two years is when my daughter or son (couldn't get a straight answer out of the 4 1/2 year old, and the 18 month old wasn't talking) tried to flush half a roll of TP.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to 02778712

Our old rental (single family) had notoriously bad plumbing. It was always getting tree roots in the main sewer line and the LL was always having to call RotoRooter. I am now starting to suspect that house had Orangeberg Tile plumbing as it was built a few years after WWII and that city had a bad Orangeberg problem. You would always see lawns getting dug up as people had to replace failed sewer lines.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to pike

said by pike:

I'm look forward to hearing what dennismurphy See Profile has to say about a Champion toilet failing.

What can I say; must be something in that Taxachussetts diet. Us Jersey folk know how to ... clean out ...
Expand your moderator at work

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: [Plumbing] Had to plunge a Champion Toilet

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL2YRDzpTL4

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to IowaCowboy

An another (my personal favorite):

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqT21Pv1CAs

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to IowaCowboy

I always get accused of using too much toilet paper. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I do one wipe per wad of tp. I'm guessing those who are more frugal than me will fold it over and use the same wad twice.

I clogged one of those never clog toilets at work finally. I feel accomplished. I was in Chinatown a couple days after Thanksgiving and someone clogged the only toilet in the restaurant I was in, and I had to use it... and it was a never clog also!!

When I replaced the toilet in the main bathroom 3.5 years ago when I moved in, I could have spent $100 more on a "never clog" toilet but I spent another $3 and got a plunger. I only clogged it twice. Still flushes pretty decently.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

I think a snake works much better than Drain Cleaner.

The Marketing Departments of toilet manufacturers all recommend a health dose of snake oil to keep the pipes running free.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT

2 recommendations

reply to fartness

I've found that if you Always flush Once BEFORE beginning the 'Paperwork' phase, you do tend to encounter much fewer problems...
(or at least, any problems that do subsequently occur are much less...'intense'...)

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

said by Tursiops_G:

I've found that if you Always flush Once BEFORE beginning the 'Paperwork' phase, you do tend to encounter much fewer problems...
(or at least, any problems that do subsequently occur are much less...'intense'...)

True, but I have clogged my Champion 4 a couple of times before starting the paperwork. But 99% of the time it works great.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Beezel:

said by Tursiops_G:

True, but I have clogged my Champion 4 a couple of times before starting the paperwork. But 99% of the time it works great.

Too.many.bean.burritos!

telco_mtl

when im president at american standard im going to go and build the crapmaster 3000 a high pressure super flush toilet!

MA

said by telco_mtl:

when im president at american standard im going to go and build the crapmaster 3000 a high pressure super flush toilet!

Craptastic!

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
reply to telco_mtl

Get Michael Dorn (Lt. Worf from ST:TNG) to do the Commercial voiceover: "A WARRIOR'S Toilet!"

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

Could it be because I got the Champion 4 MAX (which uses 1.28 gpf) instead of the standard Champion 4 (which uses the standard 1.6 gpf).

I've heard when the low flush mandate came out in 1994, those toilets performed so poorly that you had to flush them twice to expel the contents. In my opinion, the low flush toilet designs have come a long way. I think using a larger flush valve in the tank helps a lot.
--

telco_mtl

said by IowaCowboy:

Could it be because I got the Champion 4 MAX (which uses 1.28 gpf) instead of the standard Champion 4 (which uses the standard 1.6 gpf).

I've heard when the low flush mandate came out in 1994, those toilets performed so poorly that you had to flush them twice to expel the contents. In my opinion, the low flush toilet designs have come a long way. I think using a larger flush valve in the tank helps a lot.

my grandmothers circa 1955 house that she sold in 1977 came back on the market in 2010, i had a look at the listing, it still had the original head. the tank on that thing is big enough to bathe in. im sure it has no clog issues!

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

My childhood home in Iowa was built in 1949 and it had a two piece toilet. The tank was connected to the bowl with a short section of pipe. It went bye-bye in 2001 when the pipe started leaking.

If I moved into a place where I paid water and the toilet was older than 1994, that would be the first thing I'd change out. The only reason I put this toilet in is I needed one with a higher rim for my mobility impaired grandmother but we've already discussed that in another thread.

»[Plumbing] Another loose toilet
--

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Tursiops_G

said by Tursiops_G:

The problem with that is many places have water meters. All that flushing adds up.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by Boricua:

said by Tursiops_G:

The problem with that is many places have water meters. All that flushing adds up.

Or landlords that call the tenants to question a high water bill.
--