spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

group6

join:2008-05-22

trying to choose a provider in Decatur Alabama

I live in the Northeast. I have a friend living in Decatur, Alabama. She is not well. Currently she has no land line or TV service. I told her I would research what the 'best' internet only (no voice, no TV) provider in her area was.

Key concerns are cost (she just gets by on SS), customer service (she is very weak from illness, wouldnt have the energy to wrestle with ignorant/rude CSRs), she is not tech savvy (cycling the power on the modem would be about the limit of her capabilities) and outages (because this was my bright idea, and I would be the subject of her ire)

I checked Charter's site, it is available at her address. If I could get some recommendations it would be much appreciated.

group6

I may regret this, but...

I dunno, maybe this is the wrong forum. I realize my question wasnt about nightlife, marijuana or moonshine. Instead it was about some advice on broadband providers in a city in the Southeast region. Does anyone know about that kinda stuff¿

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to group6

Sorry, I don't know Decatur Alabama... you forgot to mention grits and cornbread though. Maybe someone will come along soon?

Perhaps if you entered her zip code, you would get some reviews on the best ones in her area?

»/search

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast

1 recommendation

reply to group6

I am not really familiar with Decatur, specifically (I mean, I've been there many times, but not familiar with their internet services). I live about 100 miles south of there.

Anyway, my only two broadband options that I know of are AT&T old-style DSL (meaning, not Uverse) and Charter cable. I use DSL. I have been considering switching to Charter. I hear that their internet provision is good when it is working, but they give horrible customer service. So, to this point, I have remained with AT&T.

It is likely that your options are also limited to these two. You should be able to get a DSL-only line from AT&T. If not, you should probably go with Charter. Or just go with Charter if you don't want to mess with AT&T.

I'm sorry I can't give you more solid info.

Tim
--
"Life is like this long line, except at the end there ain't no merry-go-round." - Arthur on The King of Queens
~ Project Hope ~

Jim R

@citydiesel.net

1 recommendation

I'm in Decatur as I type this. Charter and DSL are pretty much the only decent choice here. I think AT&T Uverse is available in some parts of town. There used to be a great cable provider called PCL NET but I think they have been bought out by Knology. I'm not sure about that though. I'm using Charter myself (Internet only) and so far I have no complaints. I haven't had to deal with their customer service though, so that opinion may change in the future.

group6

What are you paying for Charter internet only, $29.99? The location is on 4th Ave SE. I havent checked to see if Uverse is there.

All ISP customer service sucks, its just a matter of degrees.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL

Note that the $29.95 price is introductory. After 12 months, I think, it rises sharply.

Jim R

@citydiesel.net
reply to group6

said by group6:

What are you paying for Charter internet only, $29.99? The location is on 4th Ave SE. I havent checked to see if Uverse is there.

All ISP customer service sucks, its just a matter of degrees.

$54.99/Month

group6

1 recommendation

reply to timcuth

yup - "Charter Internet Plus - $29.99.mo for 12 mos $44.99/mo. Yr 2; Standard rates apply after 2 years."