Search similar:

uniqs

billh491
join:2001-08-09
Portland, CT

billh491 to avolation

to avolation

Re: speed increases

Ran this at work this morning. Sure wish this was what I had at home.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Didn't your parents tell you it's not nice to tease.
jcantara
join:2009-01-25
Tilton, NH

jcantara to billh491

to billh491
Yeah, we've got 100/100 fiber where I work too. I don't know if it would be possible to get a speed test like that unless I came in real early and unplugged everything from the router except a single laptop. There's way too much usage normally, to the point where now that I've got 50Mbps at home, my downloads there are usually faster!

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491 to avolation

to avolation
I work at a school and there was a delay opening so not much was going on at the time. Also the test server is at CEN which is also our provider. So it is like doing a ping test to your back yard.

revl8er
@70.151.71.x

revl8er to billh491

Anon

to billh491
Was having issues with my speeds due to my modem only connecting to one channel. once I got a tech out they fixed the issue for me. Now I'm seeing 53 down 3 up in Philadelphia ms.

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491 to avolation

to avolation

MC must have thrown a switch in NE CT as I could only ever get 3.79 up. Just pulled my best ever speed test. Well from home that is.
NetworkNH
join:2009-08-10
Northwood, NH

NetworkNH to avolation

to avolation
The upload issue has been fixed in my area. Did a simple "Reset All Defaults" and "Restart Cable Modem" tonight from my SB6141 config page (»192.168.100.1/cmConfig.htm) then performed a speed test once it restarted (see below)

If that didn't work I was going to call support. Hope this helps!
jcantara
join:2009-01-25
Tilton, NH

jcantara to avolation

to avolation

Looking good here, too. I still don't have any channel bonding on the upstream, just a single channel.

koan00
@metrocast.net

koan00

Anon

Still cant break 4.8 in MD. If its normal to get 5.8, I guess I'm going to have to call and complain...

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to NetworkNH

Premium Member

to NetworkNH
Worked here as well. Thanks for the advice!

koan00
@metrocast.net

koan00 to koan00

Anon

to koan00
Well don't I feel like a dimwit.. I did the reset to defaults, but not the second reboot after. Voila:

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491 to avolation

to avolation
MC is smart sell us 50/5 and give 52/6ish under promise and over deliver you can't get in trouble for that.
NetworkNH
Northwood, NH

NetworkNH

They definitely are. I asked a rep about that a while back and was told they slightly modified the config files to allow for some extra bandwidth to lower the volume of calls they were receiving from customers expressing their frustration when running speed tests and being unable to hit the numbers they were paying for. I think I can speak for everyone on here that we've all experienced that at one time or another and know what it's like.

Just did another speed test (see below). Hope everyone is having a great Sunday!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Something is up in my area as I can barely pull down 15 mbps now, upload is great. I reset everything, no dice. I have a tech coming Wednesday night. I swear this seems to happen every time they increase the speeds.

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491 to avolation

to avolation
Everything is fine on my end of town ptrowski hope you get it fixed soon.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Good to hear. I have them coming tomorrow night. Speeds were better this morning around 35 mbps but not where they were at 50+.
ptrowski

ptrowski to billh491

Premium Member

to billh491
Tech came and the speeds were mostly decent around 5:00, by 7 they were back down again. I spoke with tech support and it seems like a load balancing issue in my area, they are reaching out to the NOC to get a fix.
It was a perfect excuse though to tell the wife I need a SB6141.
NetworkNH
Northwood, NH

1 recommendation

NetworkNH

Glad to hear that ptrowski, and hopefully they get it resolved soon. Also hoping the wife approves of a new SB6141, you'll love it as much as I love mine!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

So far so good. Normally in prime time my speeds sink sub 10 mbps, they are around 15-20 after swapping them out so I will take that until things are fixed.
But white? Yuck.
NetworkNH
Northwood, NH

NetworkNH

Glad to hear that. Yeah, that's how mine used to be until they made some upgrades/changes recently either on the node or CMTS, with the 8-channel bonding it's been much better in the evenings, 20-35 Mbps which isn't bad (lot better than sub 10). Oh I know, definitely not a fan of the white, and those LED's could direct air traffic, but it's been a solid performer overall.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Yeah those LED's are no joke huh?
NetworkNH
Northwood, NH

NetworkNH

Indeed they aren't, I read the reviews before purchasing mine, and couldn't foresee them being that bright, but in a dark room they are literally like having a night light.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Dear lord I hope they fast track the fix here. 2-5 Mbps download right now. Scary my upload is better that the download.
NetworkNH
Northwood, NH

NetworkNH

Ouch! Sorry to hear that, where are you running your tests from?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Speedtest.net. This morning it was 51 Mbps.
NetworkNH
Northwood, NH

NetworkNH

Oh ok, I just ran a test and it looks like either local node or backbone saturation? I also checked »status.cogentco.com/ and everything appears normal (one of their providers).

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

This area is typically a node split. I was told the other night it was a load balance issue. Who knows the real cause. . Good thing is they are usually on it fairly quick.
NetworkNH
Northwood, NH

NetworkNH

That's good to know, my town has two nodes as well, and unfortunately I seem to be on the one that gets hit hardest in the evenings (luckily it has gotten somewhat better in the past few months). Indeed the real cause could be something else Hoping they get it resolved soon.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

What works for me is keeping track of my speed tests and calling in once a week. They want to know what is going on. My tests typically will be both on wifi and direct hardwired to the modem.
quantumred
join:2010-01-05
East Lyme, CT

quantumred to avolation

to avolation
I'm finally seeing 5.8 upload also. I rebooted the modem (without resetting defaults) and it worked after that.