Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

At night, not so much....

ptrowski

ptrowski to NetworkNH

Premium Member

to NetworkNH
So I called back on Saturday afternoon to follow up like the rep asked me to. No record at all of my call in, no record of what he said they saw with a load balancing issue causing the speeds to plummet as at night. The guy on the phone kept saying he didn't see any issues which there wasn't because I was calling during the day just to see when they were doing the work the other rep mentioned he requested. He said the best he could do was send a tech out which I said makes no sense. I was also told that the speeds were "up to" 50 Mbps and I explained I understood that as well but 8-12 Mbps on a 50 Mbps line is insane. I asked him how my line stats looked and he said perfect, signals looked spot on. I asked why would my speeds be perfect during the morning and crash at night yet my upload speeds are always spot on. He said it's typically congestion. I explained every time they increase the speeds we go through the exact same issue......
End of the call was basically they will watch my modem. Dear lord this company can be frustrating. I really wish our regulars here who work for Meteocast were allowed to support us.
ptrowski

ptrowski to NetworkNH

Premium Member

to NetworkNH
Just an update, I called in again last night as my speeds were tanking it, I called around 9:30. I was speaking with a tech named Will, wicked nice guy. He mentioned that there was a ton of maintenance going on last week in the area and more to come so hopefully things should improve. I did notice it looked like after a reset my SB6141 got a new config file. Will mentioned that there has been issues with the upgrade across the board with a lot of people addressing speed issues during prime time. Will keep an eye on it.

It's humorous as this most likely had to have been planned when I called in 2 weeks ago yet that tech I spoke to then wanted to send a technician and swore there were no issues. Idiot.
ptrowski

ptrowski to jsz0

Premium Member

to jsz0
jsz0 in the past you have worked magic, please get the magic wand out and wave it around. This is getting absolutely ridiculous here. Called support and was told to call back tomorrow to talk to someone who can give some form of updates..

billh491
join:2001-08-09
Portland, CT

billh491 to avolation

to avolation
I don't know mine look pretty good.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Tease.
They must have split my node recently as I an back to mostly normal speeds at night thankfully.

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491 to avolation

to avolation
Glad to hear they got you going.

At work I am downloading 30 meg files like they are text files its awesome thanks state of ct.
jcantara
join:2009-01-25
Tilton, NH

jcantara to avolation

to avolation
If any of you are as crazy as I am, here's a recipe to follow:

2 - DOCSIS3 Cable Modems
1 - TP-Link 6020 Dual WAN Router

Mix well, and then serve at:

(Screenshot is of a Steam download)

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Very nice. I assume you have two drops coming to the house?
jcantara
Tilton, NH

jcantara

Nope, one aerial line that extends maybe 30 feet through the house to the room I have the cable modems in. Then I have a -3.5db splitter with short pigtails off of it that go to each modem. I recorded the signal levels before adding in the splitter, just to make sure there wasn't too big of a drop by adding it. Turned out to be quite minor, plus the installer replaced the filter up on the pole when he was here. The boost from that new filter pretty much offset the drop from the splitter, putting me right back where I was.

koan00
@24.245.97.x

koan00

Anon

So do you pay double or.. ?
jcantara
Tilton, NH

jcantara

Yep. Works out to $140 for 100/10. It's not price competitive with the marketplace, but I have literally no other options.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH

icedcorn to avolation

Premium Member

to avolation
do you get 350GB x 2 for the cap as well?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to jcantara

Premium Member

to jcantara
I assume it is bonding the two lines versus load balancing?
jcantara
Tilton, NH

jcantara to icedcorn

to icedcorn
said by icedcorn:

do you get 350GB x 2 for the cap as well?

Yeah, it shows up as two separate "Ultra" packages and each would come with it's own 350 GB. Not that I think anyone at Metrocast is enforcing caps.
jcantara

jcantara to ptrowski

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

I assume it is bonding the two lines versus load balancing?

Could do both. Bond via a VPN, or just load balance through routing. Currently I'm just doing load balancing, which makes the most sense for me. No streaming service is outputting anything even close to 50mbps, and everything that I do bulk downloading of has used multiple parallel connections, maxing out both cable modems. Router is also smart enough to attempt to balance speeds across both links, so if I'm streaming one thing, and my wife streams another, they go out different WAN ports.

So, no need (as of yet) to add in the extra latency and overhead of the bonding. The only thing that would push me in that direction is to get a full 10Mbps upload. Metrocast's upload speeds are really, really lagging behind now.
jcantara

jcantara to avolation

to avolation
»www.washingtonpost.com/b ··· lix-age/

FCC is considering redefining "broadband" (currently defined as 4Mbps) to a higher speed, up to 25Mbps. If they classified "broadband" as 25Mbps or higher, only the Ultra tier on Metrocast could then legally be advertised as broadband. All of their other tiers would be too slow to qualify.

I don't think for a moment that this would actually get ISPs to increase speeds. I just wonder what new name they would come up with for slower-than-legally-broadband access. You can bet that it would sound cooler than "broadband" though, which is a pretty inside baseball term to begin with.

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491 to avolation

to avolation
That rules out all DSL as well.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH

icedcorn to avolation

Premium Member

to avolation
Well I will say it is hysterical as Fair Point keeps emailing me about their high speed service (DSL, not fiber) with speeds "as high as" 7MB. Ugh. Go away.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to icedcorn

to icedcorn
how do you get this bonding channel view?

billh491
Portland, CT

billh491 to avolation

to avolation
»192.168.100.1/cmSignal.htm if you have a Motorola