Premium Member
join:2011-05-02
Tempe, AZ

PinkyThePig to lorennerol

Premium Member

to lorennerol

Re: [Windows] Cryptolocker

said by lorennerol:

It would be a great Christmas gift for a whole lot of sad people if someone brilliant came up with a way to reverse the encryption. There are a whole lot of people out there who lost years and years of irreplaceable family photos.

Technically anything can be recovered at this point. Pay 10 bitcoins to the developers and they will unencrypt even if past the timeout point. Having said that... 1 bit coin is trading at around 860 bucks right now so may be out of their cost range.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by PinkyThePig:

1 bit coin is trading at around 860 bucks right now so may be out of their cost range.

Quick send to the address below
and my 3x 5GH/s miners just shipped from BFL

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

One of my clients got hit with it a few weeks ago. I got to see first hand how much damage it can do. It doesn't just encrypt files on the local drives, it goes after any file/folder the infected system has write access to, including unmapped UNC paths.
The poor guy had a backup drive, a router attached drive, and a backup on a make shift file server. But since his PC had access to each, all of the backups became useless.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

What of previous versions?
IE if shadow copy is enabled does cryptolocker get the previous versions too or just the current ones.

Here my coworker power off the backup fileserver, robo copy had been making a copy of the production server for backup use.

and the virus came in a ZIP from Intuit and some accountant I'm told opened it.

Norway had to recover lots of data from tape.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin to DarkLogix

Mod

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by PinkyThePig:

1 bit coin is trading at around 860 bucks right now so may be out of their cost range.

Are you serious? you know that none of the mining gear makes any sense on paper now, especially if the alternative is to just spend the mining rig money on btc instead and hold it.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

2 edits

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by justin:

said by DarkLogix:

said by PinkyThePig:

Are you serious? you know that none of the mining gear makes any sense on paper now, especially if the alternative is to just spend the mining rig money on btc instead and hold it.

Well I ordered back in july
and well at this point...

You want to buy one or two of them? I hear they're still good cup warmers.
Ya ya I'd rather have a 3560G switch instead

Guess I should move my bitcoin wallet to a VM instead of keeping it on my older server that I'm migrating off.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin

Mod

I find the best bitcoin wallet is electrum. no dodgy blockchain to download and wallet can be recreated from 13 words it gives you so write the words somewhere and if you lose your entire digital life you just get a new pc, download electrum input those words and voila your wallet keys are recreated and your balance is there.

this sounds freaky but it is all explained in the FAQ the seed words create the wallet keys like a minecraft seed creates a minecraft world. The 13 words are 128 bits of randomness.