spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KINgGh0sT

join:2007-09-26
reply to TSI Marc

Re: [DSL] SmartRG modems are now available.

Why are all modems crap? Seriously. Why can't there be a 4x Gigabit Port, Wireless AC Modem. Just to get pretty standard features I gotta buy this modem AND a router.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
said by KINgGh0sT:

Why are all modems crap? Seriously. Why can't there be a 4x Gigabit Port, Wireless AC Modem. Just to get pretty standard features I gotta buy this modem AND a router.

it would cost over twice as much. the sensible thing to do is get a good and stable modem for about $100 or less and then connect your own network gear to it.

seriously, why would you want to try and package as much stuff as possible together? why would someone who focuses on making DSL modems also be good at making wifi and other devices?

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by jmck:

said by KINgGh0sT:

it would cost over twice as much. the sensible thing to do is get a good and stable modem for about $100 or less and then connect your own network gear to it.

seriously, why would you want to try and package as much stuff as possible together? why would someone who focuses on making DSL modems also be good at making wifi and other devices?

Fewer devices in the chain = fewer failure points, lots of components overlap...

lazytolog

@privacyrepublic.org
said by JMJimmy:

said by jmck:

said by KINgGh0sT:

Fewer devices in the chain = fewer failure points, lots of components overlap...

That is why I always wanted a "Stupid & Simple ™" VDSL2 modems WITHOUT all the useless bells and whistles (wireless, multiple LAN ports, included half-arsed firewall/nat/dhcp/ddns/qos/tr69/ntp/whatnot, LEDs?, undocumented USB port!!!, and the list goes on...). Why not just an exceedingly well made modem that handles VDSL2 really, r-e-a-l-l-y well (including bollixed up deployments such as the Stingers...)?

Why can we simply not do it the Unix Way and have a extremely modular, compact and cheaply replaceable modem (mass production and less waste trying to reinventing the wheel every time)?

Those modem could easily sell at around 20$ to 30$ (comparatively to current ADSL2+ modems), even less if you exclude all the software patent antics. Actually, 7$ to 13$ per unit in cost of physical production in China (for over 100k units), even less for board-only shipments.

I can understand the allure of having all-in-one wonders, but when just 1 thing breaks, it (generally) takes the whole ship with it...

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
said by lazytolog :

Why can we simply not do it the Unix Way ......

YAMM (Yet Another Modem Modem) Complete with Cryptic Commands written in Case-Sensitive Cyrillic ??

man YAMM
(1) ls hieroglyphs for further information.