how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DSLR98004

join:2012-07-16
Bellevue, WA

[General] Phone Number Switch

I am helping my daughter with a phone number porting/switch issue and am looking for advice.

She currently has a Verizon Wireless phone number (Phone Number A), which is the main number used in her real estate business. She has decided to purchase a "premium" number from phonenumberguy.com (Phone Number B).

She has a Share Everything Plan. She also has an old smartphone she previously used with Verizon.

My initial thinking was to: (1) add the "old" device to the Share Everything Plan, (2) port newly purchased Phone Number B to the "old" device, (3) when the port is complete, ask Verizon to "switch" Phone Number A to the "old" device and Phone Number B to her current device, (4) forward all calls/texts from the "old" deice to her current device, (5) do her best to get everybody using her new phone number, (6) port Phone Number A to a VOIP provider (e.g., voip.ms) and continue to forward calls (maybe not texts) but at a lesser price.

I don't know whether the above even makes sense, because I am not a Verizon guy. The above plan, for example, may cause her to break her 2-year agreement.

Any thought on this idea or on a better way?

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

That would work, well all but one thing. Cannot forward text messages

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota
reply to DSLR98004

Just this morning I tried to swap numbers between two existing devices my account. Both devices are assigned native VZW numbers and, yes, my account is and always has been in good standing. After nearly a half hour of "we are experiencing higher the usual call volume" hold time followed by nearly an hour with the CSR, the CSR claimed it couldn't be done. Not sure if the person I talked to if full of it and visit to the local corporate store may get 'er done or if a port out is in order.

Swapping numbers between devices seems like an simple task but, at this point, I wouldn't consider it a done-deal. As usual, YMMV.

--Zach

tdumaine
Premium
Seattle, WA

said by Zach1:

Just this morning I tried to swap numbers between two existing devices my account. Both devices are assigned native VZW numbers and, yes, my account is and always has been in good standing. After nearly a half hour of "we are experiencing higher the usual call volume" hold time followed by nearly an hour with the CSR, the CSR claimed it couldn't be done. Not sure if the person I talked to if full of it and visit to the local corporate store may get 'er done or if a port out is in order.

Swapping numbers between devices seems like an simple task but, at this point, I wouldn't consider it a done-deal. As usual, YMMV.

--Zach

It is easy. have both devices handy (in case the rep isnt smart) to have the esn's handy.

When you call in, the rep should use a dummy esn for one or the other (cant have the same device on 2 numbers) and then move the esn over from one and put the esn for the other back in.

Example: Phone A and phone number a, Phone B and phone number b. Rep puts phone number b on dummy esn. Then puts real esn for phone be onto phone number a, then puts the freed up esn from phona A (number a) onto number b. Power cycle both (if 4g, if older 3g phones you'll need to turn them on one at a time and dial *228 and choose option 1)

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota

said by tdumaine:

It is easy. have both devices handy (in case the rep isnt smart) to have the esn's handy.

When you call in, the rep should use a dummy esn for one or the other (cant have the same device on 2 numbers) and then move the esn over from one and put the esn for the other back in.

Example: Phone A and phone number a, Phone B and phone number b. Rep puts phone number b on dummy esn. Then puts real esn for phone be onto phone number a, then puts the freed up esn from phona A (number a) onto number b. Power cycle both (if 4g, if older 3g phones you'll need to turn them on one at a time and dial *228 and choose option 1)

Thanks for the info tdumaine See Profile.

Just stopped back in to post an update...

I had a bit of time and called VZW a second time. This time the CSR was sharp, helpful and friendly. It took 7 minutes from start to finish and most of that was waiting for the phones to reboot.

--
Zach

DSLR98004

join:2012-07-16
Bellevue, WA
reply to tdumaine

said by tdumaine:

You may be right, but this page at voip.ms gives me some hope...
»wiki.voip.ms/article/SMS

And thanks to all of your for your input.

tdumaine
Premium
Seattle, WA

said by DSLR98004:

said by tdumaine:

You may be right, but this page at voip.ms gives me some hope...
»wiki.voip.ms/article/SMS

And thanks to all of your for your input.

Thats just for sms on a voip.ms number, the forwarding field on that lets ya forward from them but verizon has no method of forwarding sms (verizon doesnt support it).

The number swapping on the devices, i know that and the sms forwarding cause i worked for them recently