spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sc2dave

join:2012-04-09
Whittier, CA

Magic Jack does not allow me int'l minute purchase!!!

I have had mj for a few years now,no problem.Then, in July,the wife took a trip to Mexico and tried hooking it up over there.Didn't know how to hook it up.She got back, and I hooked it back as before.Works great. now,when she tried calling to Mexico,we were told that we ran out of Int'l minutes.I tried refiling and it wouldn't allow me too. I tried about 5 times before i got onto customer service. I explained everything to them and they said my acct is "under review" "UNDER REVIEW"?!?!?! I asked them for what.they couldn't tell me why.ok. I wait another month,same thing,I have written about 5 times since July and all they tell me is that it's under review and that the review dept. has to look at it.,and all they can do is put it in an urgent status.Anybody here work at Magic Junk? I still have no answers to this day.

greenman

join:2002-06-18
Athens, GA
A number of people from mexico are similarly reporting that when they try calling from Mexico, they are disallowed to even do so using international minutes. You are not the first to bring this up. It would be great if others who have similarly bought their magicJack in the US and then tried calling from Mexico would chime in and tell us their experience.

What's odd is that you shouldn't even be asked to pay for international minutes. You're calling from a magicJack using a US phone number. As a VOIP interface, it should be entirely allowed, even according to magicJack's own policy. You shouldn't even have to pay for international minutes to call home from anywhere abroad.

The only thing I can guess is that magicJack gets way too many people with Mexican relatives who buy, register and activate the device in the US, and then send the devices to their relatives in Mexico. magicJack is probably losing money on this practice, so they're secretly shutting it down without telling anyone.
--
MJCheck - »mjcheck.low.li
Tips and Info on MagicJack plus.

sc2dave

Whittier, CA
Re: Magic Jack does not allow me int'l minute purchase!!!

You got it wrong.When she got back to U.S.,that's when i tried buying intl minutes to call from my house to Mexico.Since August,I've been denied intl minute purchase.

greenman

Athens, GA
If you have more than one device on your account, and you bought international minutes for one device, those international minutes will only work on that device. You have to buy international minutes per device, even if the two or more devices uses the same number (or different numbers). Is this possibly what has happened?
--

sc2dave

Whittier, CA
Nope. Only one device.

greenman

Athens, GA
Do you think the problem of not being able to connect with the device while in Mexico is connected to magicJack's refusal to sell you international minutes, or do you think the two items are unrelated?

What was the reason your wife couldn't connect in Mexico?

a. no wifi/usb/computer connection
b. no ethernet
c. dialup
d. connection slow or too choppy
e. firewalled SIP ports at wifi hotspot
f. something else?
--

sc2dave

Whittier, CA
reply to sc2dave
I think all she did was hook it up to the laptop then the rj45,then rj11 to phone.She couldn't hear nothing or use it,so she disconnected it and gave up.When she got back, I hooked it back up here and the local worked great,until i tried buying intl min. to call where she had visited.

sc2dave

Whittier, CA
reply to sc2dave
Anyone???

greenman

Athens, GA
reply to sc2dave
sc2dave,
Most often in hotels, even with ethernet connections, you have to open a browser and accept a user policy. It may not be that way in Mexico, but it certainly is so in most hotels, cafe's and and even hardware and grocery stores that provide guest access to internet.

That means the only way to connect the device in that instance would be via USB connected to your laptop, and only after opening a browser on the ethernet-connected laptop and accepting the hotel's policy. So your computer, your device and your phone all have to be plugged in. Once you've accepted the hotel's internet policy, the phone should automatically connect.

If your wife was staying at a friend's home and using their internet, it's possible they may have set up the system so that the MAC address has to be listed in the router's "allowed MAC address" list.

When you're traveling, the easiest way to diagnose what the situation will be is to plug in your laptop first and use it to find out what the connection obstacles are. From there, you can determine how and whether it's possible to connect your magicJack and use it.

Happy New Year and Good Luck!
--