spc
Search similar:

uniqs
RemyL75
join:2001-06-07
Chicago, IL

RemyL75 to lesmikesell

to lesmikesell

Re: home networking restrictions??--WowDan can you help??

OK, I have a computer I use as a server with 14.75TB of storage. I not only access files and folders over the network normally using wireless but I also use it for DLNA and remote streaming using Plex. The only thing I did differently is I added a $5 NIC to my server. So the built-in NIC is connected to the Gateway and the 2nd NIC is connected to the router. It sounds like a lot, but I can BARELY stand the gateway and I didn't really explore the Homeconnect options until about 2-3 months ago (at least not with any intention of getting it all to work, I just read about it here and there). Adding that 2nd NIC pretty much lets me keep most things separate from the Gateway and I share what I want. And when the gateway goes down (as we all know will def happen), I will still have my wireless up and running so I can stream to my Smart TV locally (working on upgrading all the TVs with a slight possibility of getting rid of WOW cable service altogether).

Not saying my solution is for everyone though, but it works for me.
lesmikesell
join:2013-06-10
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell

said by RemyL75:

And when the gateway goes down (as we all know will def happen),

Can't say that my gateway has ever gone down on the wired side. Or even that wifi had problems for nearby devices - it is just weak in other rooms. You can fix that with a wifi access point or a router configured as an access point and connected on its LAN side without introducing the problems of a separate subnet. I don't see any real win for a 2nd router acting as a router - but using a wired connection for anything acting as a streaming server is certainly a good idea.
RemyL75
join:2001-06-07
Chicago, IL

RemyL75

When I say "goes down" I am not talking about the wired connection or the wireless (I have a router, so I have the WOW wireless signal turned off). I am talking about losing Internet to the gateway. As in "Service Interruption". It happens more than I care to deal with.

I don't have any real problems with a separate subnet. It's there, and I don't really have to even look at it lol. What problems are you talking about?

And as I said, I don't see my solution being for everyone. I just can't sit there and let WOW's equipment govern all of my setup. I was happier when it was just Internet and phone and there was an official "Bridged" mode that was enabled and working. Oh well, better than Comcast (for now).