Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater

MVM

[Info] Cisco 877 and 887 switch port lights.

Can anyone tell me why the switch port lights on the 877 or 887 have never worked when running.

Both units have had multiple firmwares loaded from 12. and 15. and i have never seen them on.

Just always wondered and now that im using my 887 with an Ethernet WAN insted of DSL i have no lights on the front as before the xDSL light CD and DATA and the PPP light would be lit. Now Nothing.

FE Ports 1, 2 and 3 are in use and linked yet as you can see, nothing.

aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba

MVM

Maybe the LED broke?

If the router is still working, I personally don't mind of dimmed "Christmas lights"
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Napsterbater

MVM

to Napsterbater
2nd that... it's still passing traffic though, right Napsterbater See Profile ?

Regards
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to Napsterbater

Premium Member

to Napsterbater
FWIW, I have a netopia where the pick-n-place had the LED tape upside down. So the LEDs were placed upside down, and thus, not soldered in place. The subsequent wash just blew them off the board, but left the perfect solder dents where they used to be. It's a beautiful screw up.

Open it and look. It's just as likely the light-pipes are missing/broken.

(I'm not saying Cisco's Maylasian workers would do that. )

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

For it to happen twice to the same guy though? What are the odds of that!?
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

Depends on the source of his equipment...

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater

MVM

Well I took the case off, looks like the LEDs for FE0 - FE2 are not there but FE3 is.

This unit came off ebay as did the 877 but years apart. Just seems odd that both units would have been modified. Anyone else have or seen 877's or 887's in the field with switch port lights?

Taken at varying distances for focus.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by Napsterbater:

This unit came off ebay as did the 877 but years apart.

ebay is notorious for counterfeit cisco kit.
i wouldn't be surprised if this is another one of those instances.

q.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
Milledgeville, GA

Napsterbater

MVM

The 887 had a Smartnet Contract on it for a bit and the case has the phone number to a state IT Help Desk. But idk.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

1 edit

TomS_

MVM

I remember reading a news site a few years back about some US Govt departments that had been sold counterfeit Cisco kit.

Anything is possible I guess. But I would hazard a guess that genuine Cisco kit probably wouldnt be missing components. It shouldnt pass QA in a state like that. Even just some measley LEDs.

Just dont buy from sellers with low scores, and always read the negative comments to see why they are negative, and how the seller responds. No matter how cheap it might be from Joe Random, always buy from the guys with high ratings.

You could try getting a new smartnet on it, and then claim it as faulty.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

I've seen the same reports. They aren't "counterfeit"; they're more aptly "not Cisco Authorized". That is, they're QA rejects or "after hours" product runs that aren't on the books (and obviously, not QA'd)

In this case, I'd say that's normal damage from rough handling. It's simple to fix, if you're so driven to have blinking lights. (honestly, 99% of my kit isn't where anyone ever looks at it.)
markysharkey
Premium Member
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

I'm the same. I deploy 887's fairly often, but they are in racks so I have the interfaces to the front and the lights round the back, so I never see them. I prefer to rely on the sho xxxxx commands to tell me what's going on.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to Napsterbater

MVM

to Napsterbater
said by Napsterbater:

Well I took the case off, looks like the LEDs for FE0 - FE2 are not there but FE3 is.

said by Napsterbater:

The 887 had a Smartnet Contract on it for a bit and the case has the phone number to a state IT Help

Desk. But idk.

Question is whether it was ever called into Cisco for a full RMA or not.

I'm with cramer See Profile about offhours / offbook devices that slipped in under the radar.

BTW, still haven't answered the question Napsterbater See Profile , other than the lights, everything else works, right?

Regards

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
Milledgeville, GA

Napsterbater

MVM

I never sent it off, not really worth it. Everything else works fine. Its currently running a 30/30mbps FTTH connection now on one of the switch ports.

Just more of a very slight inconvenience.

Paulg
Displaced Yooper
Premium Member
join:2004-03-15
Neenah, WI

Paulg to Napsterbater

Premium Member

to Napsterbater
I have an 891 here at home, I'd be willing to bet that the LEDs were torn off the board when the case was pulled off. Its a really stupid design that the light-pipes drag right across them when you lever the case open.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to Napsterbater

MVM

to Napsterbater
said by Napsterbater:

Everything else works fine.

said by Napsterbater:

Just more of a very slight inconvenience.

Okay, that clarifies it. Thanks

Regards