uniqs

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

Re: [Content] The possibility of having NFL Sunday Ticket on Comcast?

said by telcodad:

It's sounding even more unlikely now that DirecTV will be giving up their exclusive contract:

DirecTV CEO Michael White talks Sunday Ticket, SEC Network and the sports media landscape
By Christopher Botta, Sports Business Daily - November 13, 2013
»www.sportsbusinessdaily. ··· ape.aspx

quote:
Of course, what everyone wanted was an update on negotiations between DirecTV and the NFL for future seasons of Sunday Ticket. “We’re talking lots of money here, so these things take time,” said White. “I’m optimistic that we'll get an exclusive deal done. There are always complications with a deal of this size, like with digital rights. We’re a good partner. We want to continue to build the franchise.”

White explained why the NFL-DirecTV relationship is a mutually-beneficial partnership. “We’ve got two million subscribers that pay for Sunday Ticket, so that’s good for the NFL,” said White. “The highest-rated content of any kind these days is sports. Being linked with the NFL differentiates us from the rest of the competition.”

Oh well, it's not looking good at all now for Comcast getting it:

Exclusive: NFL, DirecTV agree to framework for Sunday Ticket deal
By Ronald Grover and Liana B. Baker, Reuters - December 12, 2013
»www.reuters.com/article/ ··· 20131212
quote:
The National Football League and DirecTV have agreed on a framework for negotiations to renew the satellite TV operator's contract to offer the popular NFL Sunday Ticket football package the company uses to attract subscribers, according to two sources with knowledge of the talks.

The two sides "are still in material negotiations," but extended their exclusive negotiating period to work through the remaining issues, according to one of the people. The talks might still not result in an agreement.

EDIT: Also: »DirecTV, NFL Close to Renewing Exclusive Deal [34] comments

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

well I guess this means that sunday ticket stays on directv for a while longer.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

Oh well, it's not looking good at all now for Comcast getting it:

Exclusive: NFL, DirecTV agree to framework for Sunday Ticket deal
By Ronald Grover and Liana B. Baker, Reuters - December 12, 2013
»www.reuters.com/article/ ··· 20131212

EDIT: Also: »DirecTV, NFL Close to Renewing Exclusive Deal [34] comments

Getting even closer to a deal now:

NFL: We Expect To Renew Sunday Ticket With DIRECTV
By Phillip Swann, TVPredictions.com - July 21, 2014
»www.tvpredictions.com/tv ··· 2014.htm
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

Getting even closer to a deal now:

NFL: We Expect To Renew Sunday Ticket With DIRECTV
By Phillip Swann, TVPredictions.com - July 21, 2014
»www.tvpredictions.com/tv ··· 2014.htm

Oh well, it looks like 8 more years until Comcast can possibly get it now: »DirecTV, NFL Renew Sunday Ticket Exclusive Deal [35] comments

Also:

DirecTV Scores Eight-Year Sunday Ticket Renewal
Deal May Be Worth As Much as $12B

By Mike Reynolds, Multichannel News - October 1, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· l/384352

Dan A
join:2008-01-03
Kendall Park, NJ

Dan A

Does the deal include distribution on DirecTV's soon to be sister provider AT&T Uverse?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Dan A:

Does the deal include distribution on DirecTV's soon to be sister provider AT&T Uverse?

That's not clear right now, but I would assume that was part of the deal.

From the MCN article:
quote:
It was unclear at presstime if the pact would extend to AT&T U-verse customers, but presumably it does. The telco has a clause built into its proposal to buy DirecTV that would enable it to back out of the $48.5 billion deal, if the satellite leader didn’t come to terms with the NFL on a renewal.

Should the proposed union pass regulatory muster, Sunday Ticket might be available to some 26 million residential homes on a linear basis, up from DirecTV's current count of 20 million. Industry estimates peg DirecTV's residential Sunday Ticket roster at some 2 million.

The NFL deferred questions about AT&T to DirecTV, which could not be reached by presstime.
Comcast Guy
join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA

Comcast Guy to telcodad

to telcodad
I am really surprised the NFL has not tried to open this up to as many subscribers as possible. Considering that they want to expand the season and they want to expand to London, I never understood why they'd want to limit their income/eyeballs/advertising range from this product.

That said...looks like 8 more years on DTV in addition to cable for me. I will have paid for Sunday Ticket for 22 years by that time for the privilege of watching the Falcons in PA.
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan

Well there's plenty of ways to get their streaming service, GamePass, if you want (it's $130 or less now). VPNs, DNS changers, proxies etc. Every game, no blackouts. Decent HD quality too, up to 4.5mb IIRC.
Comcast Guy
join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA

Comcast Guy

said by GTFan:

Well there's plenty of ways to get their streaming service, GamePass, if you want (it's $130 or less now). VPNs, DNS changers, proxies etc. Every game, no blackouts. Decent HD quality too, up to 4.5mb IIRC.

I may actually do the unthinkable next season and change my service address to a friend's house in Atlanta.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

in this day and age the nfl should be thinking of ways to get sunday tickets on mobile devices for everyone not just directv subscribers. Would be shocked if the deal doesn't include mobile streaming of games for everyone.
Also how does this deal affect the nfl deal with verizon wireless? Will the nfl have a deal with att wireless now in addition to verizon wireless or will they end the deal with verizon wireless?