uniqs
markysharkey
Premium Member
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

markysharkey to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix

Re: [Config] Performance due to VLAN, incomplete STP, or loop backs?

Click for full size
There is sooooo much nonsense spouted about spanning tree because it is mis-understood. It is one of my favourite protocols.
It won't kill the network. It will shut down an interface (the interface with the highest port cost) that leads back to the root bridge from the switch with the highest priority (if set) or highest mac-address if priority is left at default, but traffic can still reach every switch, and therefore every host. As long as path cost and interface cost are left the same, the attached diagram shows how spanning doesn't break networks, it fixes them.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Who said kill the network? I said it'll kill a link (an unneeded link)
yes it'll disable a link and if you haven't set priority then the root bridge might not be the ideal root.

I'm not a fan of relying on STP for redundancy because in the time it takes for it to re-enable a port you can have users start complaining, where as a star topo with etherchannel wouldn't even be noticed by anyone when a cable or interface bites the dust.
markysharkey
Premium Member
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

My bad. I mis-read the post.
As for convergence time, anyone who doesn't enable RSTP as a matter of course isn't doing right. And host ports should be set to portfast too so convergence should not be an issue for users. It'll take longer to open Word than for an RSTP network to converge.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to DarkLogix

MVM

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

I'm not a fan of relying on STP for redundancy because in the time it takes for it to re-enable a port you can have users start complaining,

i'm willing to best most users wouldn't notice more than a blip if you're doing it right.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sp ··· peration

q.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by tubbynet:

said by DarkLogix:

I'm not a fan of relying on STP for redundancy because in the time it takes for it to re-enable a port you can have users start complaining,

i'm willing to best most users wouldn't notice more than a blip if you're doing it right.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sp ··· peration

q.

Been there done that, users get outlook login prompts and start complaining