Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

noc007

join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Please No

Both parties need to get their shit together first before I entertain the idea. So far T-Mobile has been doing a good job this year with price and network upgrades. I look forward to further market disruption and them making headway in expanding coverage.

Sprint on the other hand has a long way to go and hasn't made much progress from my limited point of view. I don't like their current pricing either and would consider leaving T-Mobile if the cost of service were to go up; I left VZW because I'd be saving $50/mo.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

3 recommendations

Sprint would destroy TMO-USA and Metro. We seen how well Sprint merged iDEN into the CDMA network, God only knows how they'd treat GSM customers.

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX
Agreed, and then take 10 years to shut her down... :\

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

1 recommendation

reply to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

Sprint would destroy TMO-USA and Metro. We seen how well Sprint merged iDEN into the CDMA network, God only knows how they'd treat GSM customers.

You do realize that Sprints network vision buildout allows a merger like this (two technologies) to happen quite easily and seamlessly. Network integration isnt a problem in that regard.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

1 recommendation

Unfortunately, Sprint is still a CDMA based carrier and will be for the foreseeable future. Eventually all carriers will be LTE at a minimum as well as whatever 5G technology eventually evolves but the CDMA 2G and 3G will still be around for a while and that will be a problem for integrating T-Mobile and Sprint.

Personally I hope this does not pass. I really dislike Sprint now and am hoping I can get my employer to switch to T-Mobile. It would really stink to make the jump only to have them back in my life again.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by n2jtx:

but the CDMA 2G and 3G will still be around for a while and that will be a problem for integrating T-Mobile and Sprint.

I am not sure of any markets where sprint still has 2G services. With the new network gear being installed on every sprint tower they could fairly easily integrate T-Mobile into it.
--

DarnellP

join:2004-10-12
Las Vegas, NV
reply to swintec
said by swintec:

You do realize that Sprints network vision buildout allows a merger like this (two technologies) to happen quite easily and seamlessly. Network integration isnt a problem in that regard.

Don't bother with facts. He doesn't like those.

DarnellP

join:2004-10-12
Las Vegas, NV
reply to swintec
said by swintec:

I am not sure of any markets where sprint still has 2G services.

None, as CDMA2000 is a 3G technology.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to TBBroadband
They're both running LTE now so the comment doesn't really make sense. They will migrate customers to their LTE network.

Etobicoke, ON

3 recommendations

reply to DarnellP
Most of his posts are nonsense.

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Clinton Township, MI

2 recommendations

reply to swintec
But that's where your wrong. You have to look beyond the tech portion of it and see the REAL picture. Why do you think Sprint wanted Nextel? Had NOTHING and I mean NOTHING to do with the network. They just wanted numbers. Sprint figured they would loose the bandwidth or a good portion of it to the govt anyway. But on the other side, Sprint can hardly integrate the network they have much less someone else's. I lived through the Nextel merger and the countless hours spent trying to merge the two and we see how that worked out now didn't we? Motorola reps warned them but NOOOO, Sprint felt they knew better.

tc1uscg

Clinton Township, MI
reply to DarnellP
Sprint switches (and for those who don't have a clue, towers) still handle 2g and will for years to come. But incase you want some better reading, google "Sprint and 2G switches".. and you might be surprised. I've been gone from Sprint for a few years but things have not changed that much.

tc1uscg

Clinton Township, MI
reply to 34764170
Ok.. so how do you think once you are out in the middle of now where and you don't have LTE? That's where things fall apart and fast. Guess people who don't leave their yard will never know this. :-0

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
The lowly customers on cell phones could eventually be given cells to upgrade. But the business type hardware is harder. The stuff that is semi custom for whatever reason like monitoring something in the middle of nowhere.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to tc1uscg
said by tc1uscg:

I lived through the Nextel merger and the countless hours spent trying to merge the two and we see how that worked out now didn't we? Motorola reps warned them but NOOOO, Sprint felt they knew better.

What does nextel and iDen integration years ago have to do with merging two networks now, where the equipment is set up to handle this type of integration? You are comparing apples to oranges.
--

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to tc1uscg
said by tc1uscg:

Sprint switches (and for those who don't have a clue, towers) still handle 2g and will for years to come. But incase you want some better reading, google "Sprint and 2G switches".

Are you referring to 1xRTT for the likes of meter reading, etc? 1xRTT is a 3G technology. What customer phone devices utilize 2G technology?
--

w0g
o.O

join:2001-08-30
Springfield, OR
reply to TBBroadband
GSM... hopefully they would merge the networks together, ditching legacy cdma and doing all lte/gsm.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Miami, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to 34764170
LOL Sprint loves to take over phone companies and turn them all to rubbish.

Etobicoke, ON
said by brianiscool:

LOL Sprint loves to take over phone companies and turn them all to rubbish.

Because they have such a track record of doing so with so many companies. Please. So many crazies on here.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to tc1uscg
said by tc1uscg:

Ok.. so how do you think once you are out in the middle of now where and you don't have LTE? That's where things fall apart and fast. Guess people who don't leave their yard will never know this. :-0

That's already an issue no matter what network you're on. Technology isn't the issue there.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to swintec
And network vision is no where near being complete to even allow this to happen. Plus you still have 3 different networks operating and a customer service center that can barely support one technology as it is. Network Vision doesn't give them the power they need to support the influx of customers that they would have, let alone the technologies and frequencies that TMO/Metro uses. Are they able to support AWS now? Wifi Calling? NOPE! Sprint needs to finish what they started before rolling out into new technologies and mergers.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to w0g
Sprint would kill GSM in favor of their outdated CDMA network. If they deployed GSM from the start or moved to that technology they could have deployed Wifi calling instead of their AiRave devices.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to TBBroadband
You act like if a purchase happened tomorrow they would scrap T-Mobile and put everyone under sprint. Until NV was completed you would probably see both 'companies' run separate for awhile just as they are now...in fact it is always possible they could keep both separate long term. Regardless, nothing would happen as soon as papers were signed.
--

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
reply to TBBroadband
Wi-Fi calling doesn't have anything to do with the cellular technology used.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to swintec
Where is all this equipment at? Most of the sites still aren't updated for this. Sprint has said before they are behind. Adding something they can not support both network wise and customer support wise would kill that company when everyone switches from TMO to another carrier- even if its prepaid.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to swintec
Sprint keeps NOTHING separate. If they did, Nextel customers wouldn't have had to deal with a Sprint "rep" in another country trying to support a device that they had no clue how it worked nor what it even did. They killed those support centers very quickly. But everyone on here seems to forget how those customers, including major businesses were treated- which most aren't with them anymore due to that.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to amarryat
I know it doesn't, but you know Sprint wouldn't support that as its not a product they know anything about. They'd send the customers AiRaves instead.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

Where is all this equipment at? Most of the sites still aren't updated for this.

Actually, just about 30,000 sites of there 39,000 sites have been upgraded in one form or another so far for NV. There are several stages, but many have been signed off for 3G upgrades complete and are waiting on final backhaul and available crews to get there.
--

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

Sprint keeps NOTHING separate. If they did, Nextel customers wouldn't have had to deal with a Sprint "rep" in another country trying to support a device that they had no clue how it worked nor what it even did.

So, how they operated years ago during one merger is how they would handle this one? It is a completely different time now.
--