All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Xtreme2damax
join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

Can I activate a Sprint 3G/4G hotspot or modem with Millenicom?

I was going to purchase a Sprint hotspot or modem off Amazon and am wondering if I'll be able to activate it with Millenicom? I can't get cable, fiber or dsl where I am; 3G is my only option for high speed internet other than satellite. I am looking into other options that have lower latency because I am into online gaming. Millenicom seems to offer more data than Virgin mobile (20 GB vs 6GB) which is why I am considering going with Millenicom. I can't get mobile data through Verizon, AT&T or Sprint as I owe a bill to the former two and Sprint won't approve me due to bad credit so I am looking into no contract providers.
Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

I meant to say can I activate either a Sprint, AT&T or Verizon 3G/4G modem with Millenicom? I don't know what devices would work or what network they use; the hotspot device which is the only device listed on the Millenicom website is a bit too pricey. I can pick up a device much cheaper elsewhere the only issue or question is being able to activate the device.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

The one listed on the website is the only one you can use. Although I think you can take the SIM card out and use it in other devices.
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

Is there anyone that resells the Millenicom device cheaper than is listed on their website? When I checked the price at checkout the device and service was going to cost almost $200. If I can buy the device elsewhere cheaper or can buy only the device without a plan and purchase a plan later then I'll do that. Don't want to bother with ebay and no one on Amazon appears to offer the Millenicom hotspot.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to Xtreme2damax

to Xtreme2damax
said by Xtreme2damax:

I was going to purchase a Sprint hotspot or modem off Amazon and am wondering if I'll be able to activate it with Millenicom?

Nope.. you must buy their hotspot. They are reselling verizon.

They did have a Bring Your Own Device plan that was on sprint but they are no longer offering that service.
dib22

dib22 to Xtreme2damax

to Xtreme2damax
said by Xtreme2damax:

Is there anyone that resells the Millenicom device cheaper than is listed on their website?

Not really, they do not offer a Bring Your Own Device plan.

In the past I have heard of people buying the device from a former milenicom customer and re-starting that service, but I am not sure it would still be allowed... contact their support to verify.
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

So Millenicom may not be a preferable choice seeing as it will cost me more and there is no way to purchase only the device and get a plan at a later date. Plus from what I've been reading there is some fairly concerning issues with Millenicom atm. Is there any other no contract reseller offering as much data as Millenicom? I am currently looking into Virgin Mobile but their highest plan only offers 6GB which is quite low but might be doable since I only plan on using it for light web browsing and playing Team Fortress 2 online.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

find a WISP
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

Not sure what you mean? That is what I am trying to do but my choices are limited. I can't seem to find anyone that offers 10 - 20 Gigabytes of data per month besides Millenicom which may not be worth signing up with if they are having trouble. I am tempted to go with Virgin mobile since their devices are 40% off atm but the 6GB data limit is putting me off getting service through them.

If you mean Wireless other than 3G/4G then there isn't anyone that offers coverage where I am. I can't get cable, dsl and fiber; my options for high speed internet are 2G/3G and satellite, that is it.
Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

Never-mind, went with Virgin mobile. If I need more than 6GB guess I'll have to purchase another plan.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by Xtreme2damax:

Never-mind, went with Virgin mobile.

Bad timing you could have grabbed a Virgin Mobile $35 unlimited wimax plan before Nov 1.

I did notice today that straightalk seems to be offering a mobile broadband package... looks like it's verizon (has the red coverage map on the box). 1GB $15 30days, 2GB $25 30 days, 4GB $40 60days, 5G $50 60days.

Mcom still wins price wise if you use it for more than a few months in a row (the startup costs are quickly recovered due to the larger allotment of data).
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to Xtreme2damax

to Xtreme2damax
Are you sure you can't get DSL?

Plenty of our tax dollars were appropriated to subsidize running broadband to low-density hamlets like and including, quite recently, Port Byron.