how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

towerdave

join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL
reply to inGearX

[Need Info] Re: what's your favorite screensaver?

Starry Night.

TD

rlt2562
The Wizard of Speed and Time
Premium
join:2002-12-23
Haughton, LA
kudos:1
reply to inGearX
Helios! Been using the OpenGL version for quite a long time now.

For me, it provides a very soothing, Zen-like relaxation.

Helios Screensaver @ cnet.com

--
Well, I'M not The Kirk, tell ME what your function is!

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
reply to inGearX
I downloaded that dreamaquarium, only thing is I guess I will have to buy the full version so I can have excessive pooping. I want them to bury the crab.

Morris0

join:2011-05-14
reply to inGearX
turn off monitor when idle

anonome

@verizon.net
reply to inGearX
said by inGearX:

what's your favorite screensaver?

Now: the power switch

Way back when they were actually useful to protect your CRT from burn-in and Windows provided nothing to do so: Second Nature

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to inGearX
DA for me too...

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to inGearX
The ones I miss are the after dark totally twisted screen savers. I still have the floppy disks for them, but they will never work on a win7 machine.

I miss those. My other favorite was the BSOD that wininternals had. That one I fooled quite a few people.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Dude111

[Need Info] Re: ‏

said by Dude111:

Thats nice Dustyn,i notice though you dont have a PASSWORD option (to password protect coming out of screen saver) is that because you have it set to display logon screen when it does buddy?? (I reckon thats why)

said by leeanne1772 :
Been using a clock based saver for years now
Excellent,looks like mine Leeanne!

Yes. That is the password protect function in Windows 7.
I have to enter a password to unlock my work station by forcing it to display the logon screen.
--
"Graffiti Wall" Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Mele20

[Need Info] Re: what's your favorite screensavers?

said by Mele20:

Besides that Microsoft evidently knows nothing about SSDs because I have a 256GB SSD and moved everything like photos, my documents, email, etc. to my 2TB Data drive. Photo Gallery is hard coded to the C drive location for photos. Besides, before I moved Photos to the D drive, Photo Gallery would get hung very frequently so I couldn't use it.

I did not have this problem once the screensaver was setup correctly.
I to moved pic to the D: drive but just added the folder to the Pictures Library.
But the real problem with the Screensaver program built into window8 is that it will only look in the one folder you can set it to, it will not find any pics in folders under that folder. So all your pic must be in one folder. I have a large collection and put the many files in 100's of folders and only the base folder files are used. It would be nice if it could recurse the folder and find the rest of the files.

Da Man

join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA
reply to inGearX

3D Maze when I used one.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to inGearX

[Need Info] ‏

I looked @ that one 1 time,looked neat but I kept using the clock one...

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
reply to inGearX

None! Sometimes I turn one on for amusement, but otherwise, none.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to Da Man
said by Da Man:

3D Maze when I used one.

I saw a rat within those epic graphics!
--

takeahike
Premium
join:2005-01-07
Woodland Hills, CA

4 edits

2 recommendations

reply to inGearX
Click for full size
Gates Does Windows. Moderator: I have uploaded this for download because it is available in limited areas on-line.

"The best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry . . . " --Robert Burns

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2
reply to inGearX
None for me.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to takeahike
said by takeahike:

Gates Does Windows. Moderator: I have uploaded this for download because it is available in limited areas on-line.

That's cute. But it doesn't work on Windows 64-bit as it's a 16-bit program?
--

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57

1 recommendation

It isn't uploadable here...but he's free to share this treat by IM

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21
reply to inGearX
Marine Aquarium 2 and DA the best the west has to offer

takeahike
Premium
join:2005-01-07
Woodland Hills, CA
reply to Dustyn
Works only up to 32-bit OS. Was written in 1993.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
Going to give it a shot on XP32.

onDvine
Don't Litter. Spay-Neuter.
Premium
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to rfhar
said by rfhar:

None here. I run Folding at Home 24/7 helping Stanford University find cures for diseases like Cancer, Alzheimer's, and several more and want to use as much of the CPU for F@H as possible.

Likewise.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

1 recommendation

reply to takeahike
Works nice! Bill Gates is destroying my background with a sledgehammer!!

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8
reply to inGearX

Re: [Need Info] what's your favorite screensaver?

Yo Window!

»yowindow.com/

This shows realtime weather as a screen saver.

It's pretty cool

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
reply to inGearX
None. They are no longer needed and I don't sit at my computer and look at the screen when it's not in use. Monitor does auto turn off after a while. The On/Off switch works too.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
You are wrong that they are not needed anymore. My new Dell 2014 24" Ultrasharp LED monitor comes with explicit instructions to ALWAYS use a good screen saver to avoid burn in and states the three year warranty is voided if you get burn in and weren't using a screensaver. It is the same sort of position that Samsung takes on at least some of their TVs (higher end ones) where they explicitly state that the warranty is voided if one does not use their TV in full screen mode 95% of the viewing time and must vary the channels watched to avoid burn in from the channel icons that many channels now leave on the screen all the time except during commercials. I'm wondering if using 5:4 or 4:3 modes that are on this monitor for very long will cause burn in and I am wondering why Dell included them just as I wonder why Samsung included lots of aspect ratios for the Smart TV but tells me I cannot use them more than 5% of the time.

I LOVE looking at my screen saver ("Ribbons", which looks far more dramatic on this monitor than on my older monitor). My problem is that there are not enough screen savers available that will work on Windows 8. Photos screen saver doesn't work right on Win 8 - at least not with my older Dell Ultrasharp monitor but I haven't tried it yet with this one. My screen saver comes on at THREE MINUTES OF INACTIVITY so I see it frequently while sitting at the computer. I have to remember to disable it when watching long youtube videos full screen as it coming on in the middle of a video will throw me out of full screen. I have the time short like that because I firmly believe it saves the monitor's life span. My older Dell Ultrasharp is OVER 10 years old and has approximately 30,000 hours on it and it still has a strong backlight (although not as bright as when brand new). Most people buy cheap, junk monitors and dont take care of them and that is OK considering they were cheap and are cheap to replace. Folks who buy premium monitors tend to take better care of them because of the cost of replacing them.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

2 recommendations

reply to chrisretusn
said by chrisretusn:

They are no longer needed

As a rule of thumb, that's mostly true. It's also true that older LCD panels are more prone to Image Retention (IR) than newer, both because they are older (have more hours of usage--liquid crystals can eventually "wear out" [though it might take many years of continual usage]) and use liquid crystals less-resistant to IR. Also, as a rule, IR is almost always temporary; burn-in (such as with CRTs) is almost always permanent. Of course, the manufacturers of displays simply provide the verbiage of "Don't do this!!!" as CYA ("Don't sue us!!!") for the worst case scenarios. As long as one isn't doing something obviously ill-advised (such as displaying static image/text continuously--such as a grid display), there won't be a problem with IR. However, even if a problem does develop, it can typically be remedied by simply turning the display off for an extended period of time (24 hours, for example). Beyond that there are also utilities and processes which can fix things like IR and "stuck" pixels (even if it's simply displaying a bright, white image for a few hours). The point, though, is that IR is not a problem with non-defective LCD panels given normal usage.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
Also, any light emitter (either CCFL-backlit LCDs or LED-backlit LCDs) has limited lifespan. In a while it's emitting property diminishes and screen become dim. The only solution is to turn it off when you don't need it.

Personally I set reasonable timeout to turn it off automatically or I just press a hot key combination (I've already mentioned it above) when I know, that I don't need screen anymore. And THAT actually saves screen
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
reply to inGearX
None.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
reply to inGearX
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Screen_Savers

Other than that, seriously none.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to inGearX
I stand by what I have said. With today's monitors, screen savers are not needed. They only serve to make things pretty or give you something to look at if that's your thing. That said if you like them, well good for you. You should be turning your monitor off, or letting it go to standby or turn off on it's own. If your doing that already then what's the point of a screen saver?
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!