spc
Search similar:

uniqs

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios

[Connectivity] awful data cap

ok this is an issue i just moved from an area with mediacom to sudden link and SL's caps are AWFUL 250GB? i can hit that with out trying and 350 for a 50Mbps line
GREAT i can hit that in hours....

worthless and they cost more .... what i need is more like 500GB for 50Mbps
upload speeds a joke too
why cant i get at lest 10Mbps upload? guess they never heard of twitch.tv or youtube good luck uploading content with crap speed and caps like that

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal

Premium Member

No issues here, I rarely go over 50 GB/mo and stream Netflix and other services regularly.

You should consider their uncapped business service, or perhaps another provider.

elios
Springfield, MO

elios

i regularly used 400GB on mediacom
mostly from uploading to youtube and streaming on twitch
50GB a month means all you do is check your email
some of us USE the net for more then that

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle to elios

Premium Member

to elios
So you posted just to rant?
Moostang
join:2009-03-24
Tyler, TX

Moostang to elios

to elios
I believe that I am a moderate to heavy user of my connection, especially with my family's love for netflix. I use youtube, twitch, netflix, hulu, newsgroups, and other stuff. However, I rarely reach the 200 gig mark.

I'm glad I don't live in Springfield, MO. If I did I might be a bit ticked off at you for using all of my nodes bandwidth.

elios
Springfield, MO

elios

hardly
250GB over 30 days = just over 1Mbps a day 24/7 split up and down thats only ~512Kbps ether way 24/7 not much better then ISDN or dial up
if the node cant take that then the hardware is out dated
thats NOT hard to use at all
that doesnt count watching HD video
i dont watch TV at all
steaming to twitch takes at lest 2Mbps up
uploading videos to youtube eats a lot too
oh and i use skype for my phone
in the last 24 hours i have used 1GB and thats not doing ANY THING heavy

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to elios

Premium Member

to elios
There really is no way to argue this point. Some people use X data, and others use Y. To say, I think I use X and it is a lot, might be very little to someone else.

The point is, we really don't have many options. You can be happy with what you get included with your basic account, or you can be unhappy. All the numbers in between do not really matter.

We have no choices, really, when it comes to these issues. Our provider dictates the terms, and you can either take them or not. There is no real alternative, if the services they offer are something you want, need, desire, whatever.

This IS the alternative. Come to places like this, and express how you feel, and hope others will feel the same way, and then maybe, just maybe, something will change.

What isn't useful, to anyone, is when you have this argument. If you are happy with what you have, and what you pay, great. Don't come crap on this thread, and tell everyone how happy you are, and how silly the other person is for wanting it different.

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

These arguments always become hilarious when someone breaks out the "if used 24/7 for a full month" thought. NO ONE DOES THIS, so why argue that as a point? You use up and exceed your cap, someone else doesn't. If you don't agree with the terms of the service that the provider has given you, then change providers or change plans to one that you agree with. Do you bitch about the phone bill when you go over their arbitrary limits? No, you just pay it and go on about your day, you modify your practices, or you change plans.

Coming onto a site that represents FAR less than 1% of SL user base won't get anything major like caps changed. Now if you had anything constructive or even suggestions or questions to add, I do apologize. But these bitchy threads really serve no purpose other than to start people arguing about things that WONT change just because you feel YOU are right.

Edit> Gator, you forgot that business class is an option too. Prohibitively costly, but an option just the same.
Expand your moderator at work

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to moldypickle

Premium Member

to moldypickle

Re: [Connectivity] awful data cap

I don't really agree, saying a more expensive service, is really an alternative. An alternative, would be the same service, without the cap, or a higher cap, for the same price, or less.

Saying business service is an alternative, you might as well say having your own private fiber line run to your house is an alternative.
dhudson1984
join:2008-01-04
Charleston, WV

dhudson1984 to elios

to elios
An alternative would be a Google Fiber take over, which has an almost limitless amount of bandwidth from 100% fiber and no data cap BS lol.

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA

moldypickle to gatorkram

Premium Member

to gatorkram
Just was saying it was an option given how against caps this guy is.

Checked out mediacom, this guys former isp, and they had caps too so I'm not sure about this rant.

elios
Springfield, MO

elios

500GB for a 20/2 line and 1.5TB for 100Mbps
far cry from 250GB and 350GB
mediacom overage costs are better too 10 bucks gets you another 100GB
compaired to 10GB for 10 bucks from this POS
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M

get a business account and wont have to worry about what you use

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

moldypickle to elios

Premium Member

to elios
said by elios:

500GB for a 20/2 line and 1.5TB for 100Mbps

That's not even close to what the mediacom website showed yesterday or today. Either way, a cap is a cap. Someone will always bitch about going over. Since you are so incredibly unhappy, why not switch services?

elios
Springfield, MO

elios

check the mediacom forums here

heh just looked my self and its changed since i looked it WAS 500GB for the 30Mbps tier and they bumped up the caps on the top 2 tiers...

derpington
@suddenlink.net

derpington to Cabal

Anon

to Cabal
Like Cabal, the paid shill said, he's got no problems, so clearly you're a bandwidth hog, because you do more than watch medium quality netflix while your wife browses pintrest on her iPad and your kids play Xbox Live. Suddenlink created the internet and all of its content, remember? They have the right to determine what is or isn't successful on the internet.
derpington

derpington to moldypickle

Anon

to moldypickle
"These arguments always become hilarious when someone breaks out the "if used 24/7 for a full month" thought. "

what about the "if I used it for 20 minutes a day" argument that would put me over my 107 meg cap before the month ended?

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

moldypickle to elios

Premium Member

to elios
Just went back to their site for the third time, and now it is showing me their 105 tiers (they weren't there earlier, no idea why). Since you were a subscriber, what was their pricing on the 105 tiers? Really curious to see how large/small the pricing difference would be on 3Tb vs a business class type connection.

It's not really a surprise though that they lowered it if it started at 500gigs. We'll probably see more of the industry settle in close to the same caps at the mainstream tiers.

Edit>> The overages also went to the same $10 for 50Gb 2 months ago for Mediacom.

elios
Springfield, MO

elios to derpington

to derpington
btw at 50Mbps it would only take 16 hours to hit the 350GB cap....
not counting upload

i could live with 20Mbps the issue is i cant stream any more do the A. the cap and B. the lack of upload speed 1.5Mbps doesnt cut it for good video

and with more people streaming now with next gen consoles upload and data caps will have to adjust

we where paying 110 a month for Digital TV + 30/2 net at the time cap was 500GB
when we got it
i think the 100Mbps was like 80 ish a month with 1TB at the time just for net

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

moldypickle

Premium Member

Having been with 3 different cable providers in the last few years now, I haven't seen $80 anything above 30 megs, LMAO.

I'll agree that the upload speed is a HUGE problem right now with SL. The upload speeds we have are basically on par (or behind) dsl right now.

And I'm sure you possibly could hit the cap in 16 hours, but how often do you need to download that much data in one swing? I know I've never come close to that much burst consumption.

elios
Springfield, MO

elios

steam sales lol

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

That would be buying them, but WHY would you want to download your entire library when you have a connection fast enough to get it in 10 minutes anyway?

And I hate steam sales >. I now have 163 games I'll never get around to playing.
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M

Lol same here.. steam takes my money and I never play the darn things :\ lol.. in any case the 1.5 upload is horrible... especially in the world we are in right now with cloud being important for everything.. (skydrive, box, drop, youtube...) list goes on and on, took me roughtly a whole week to upload all my home videos and main stuff to skydrive.. thankfully I got 25gb of storage for life with them lol
ghostyroasty
join:2013-08-20

ghostyroasty

I have to agree with having such low caps. I am now constantly checking my usage for the fear of going over. I don't use it constantly, but when you have game downloads on Steam that can reach 25 gigs a piece, and don't forget about updates, and then my children wish to watch the same movies on Vudu over and over, who's going to be the one to tell them sorry you can't watch that, we'll go over our cap. When I purchased the service, there was no cap and no worries.
You could say that I should go and buy the disc if the children love the movie so much, but I've purchased it and legally own it digitally, so why should I have to limit using things that I've purchased? Netflix can eat through bandwidth as well when streaming Superhd content. A 30 minute show in sd can take up to 400 megs a piece... They watch a bunch up episodes of a show each day(my twins are two and my youngest is 16 months so the storylines aren't important and they like having it playing in the background while they are playing) so just for fun say they watch 5 episodes. That could be 2 gigs. A superhd movie can easily hit 5 gigs. I am paying for high speed internet to use the speed, not to have to go in and adjust my video quality settings to get the quality I got 5 years ago.
Uplinkpro
join:2008-02-11
Lake Charles, LA

Uplinkpro to elios

to elios
The data cap isn't just bad - their notification system is out of sync with their billing. By the time I got the "you've gone over once" message in the bill I was getting the "you've gone over three times" message in my e-mail. This obviously is a problem because if they send it in the bill that late you can easily go way over on the third month and get hit with a bill shock much later. If that doesn't happen, it means that their notification system is still broken. Add onto that the $10 they added to the bill recently and I'm already looking at almost $160 for 15mbs internet, tv, and phone while I'm sitting here watching them say crap on their commercials about "15meg internet for $35 when you bundle!"

Basically, they apparently can't even get stuff communicating properly with their own systems, and yet they tell us to trust their measurements. I wouldn't trust them to not push a big red button that says "Do Not Push."

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

Uplink, have you brought this issue to Pete's attention? He interacts with the people that manage the whole meter thing (from what I gathered anyways).
Uplinkpro
join:2008-02-11
Lake Charles, LA

Uplinkpro

Not yet since I just recently confirmed that the bill and the online notifications were off and I have a lot of other stuff I've been having to deal with as well. If you want to mention it to him though go right ahead.

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

I would bring it up with him, but I don't know any of the details of your situation. If you get a few minutes soon, drop him a line. If we have to have a cap, hopefully we can get it counting in line with the billing!
jbkel3496
join:2013-12-08
Cushing, OK

jbkel3496 to elios

to elios
I agree with you about the low data cap. I don't have TV service and stream Amazon video, Spotify, and Pandora. The 250 GB is way too low. I kept my streaming to a minimum this month which sucks to do and still at over 200 GB for the month.