Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mark42

join:2006-02-07
Blairstown, NJ

1 edit

WRT54G3G vs MBR1000

I have used the Linksys WRT54G3G router for a few years. Its been out of production for a while. Last week I switched to the Cradlepoint MBR1000, also a sunset product. But both are available cheap on ebay and other sources.

After using 3 different WRT54G3G routers, I was really frustrated that the air card was always faster in the laptop (using Smartview) than in the router. Regardless of settings, regardless of firmware, regardless of which of the 3 routers I have was used.

Then I was given a MBR1000 and one day out of shear frustration I switched to the MBR1000. The card being used is a Sierra 597E.

Speeds jumped from an average of 0.6 to 1.1Mbps in the WRT54G3g to consistant 1.3 to 2.2Mbps in the Cradlepoint. Even hit 2.50Mbps on one test. We now can play Youtube in HD setting while streaming Netflix (via sony dvd player) at the same time and have a third device just web surfing. No problems at all. Even during peak usage times of 5pm to 8pm. Using the Linksys wrt54g3g the best we could do is stream Netflix as long as no one else was using the internet or it would chug or pause frequently while buffering up.

I am a big fan of Linksys hardware, but I suspected that the wrt54g3g was a dud after a few years.

I still have the same old amplifier and panel antenna, and that combo is totally amazing all on its own.

Anyway, just thought I would share.

BTW, I loaded up the Cradlepoint with the latest modem file from sprint, but the Sierra card will not show data under the modem tab. Anyone know why?

Regards,

Mark.
--
Internet: Sprint Wireless, CellAntenna CAY1912 Panel antenna, Cyfre CA-819 amp, Linksys WRT54G3G-ST/ EA2700 routers, S720 data card. Storage: Windows Home Server 2011

Nick in TN

@mycingular.net
the only thing i can think of why it will not show your aircard is it may not be technically supported by the firmware, if its not supported i would consider myself lucky and leave it at that. »www.cradlepoint.com/firmware/MBR1000 if you want to go digging and see for sure.

I have had an MRB 1000 for over 2 years now its one of the best routers i have ever owned

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
MBR1000 ..probably the best router Cradlepoint ever made
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/