uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to inGearX

[Need Info] Re: what's your favorite screensavers?

It's very sad....just like most things regarding Windows 8 ....they don't work right on Win 8. They should on a DESKTOP. I wouldn't need or want one for a laptop, tablet, or phone. There are very few included in Windows 8 and Photo Gallery that I love and use on my XP Pro machine doesn't work on Windows 8. Besides that Microsoft evidently knows nothing about SSDs because I have a 256GB SSD and moved everything like photos, my documents, email, etc. to my 2TB Data drive. Photo Gallery is hard coded to the C drive location for photos. Besides, before I moved Photos to the D drive, Photo Gallery would get hung very frequently so I couldn't use it.

I disagree that screensavers are no longer needed. I have my monitor, which is now 10.5 years old, set to go to screen saver after 3 minutes of inactivity and to turn off at 5 minutes of inactivity. I believe these settings are partly why this Dell Ultrasharp monitor is still going strong with about 30,000 hours of use on it. Plus, screensavers are pretty to look at. Microsoft, of course, thinks a computer should now be extremely difficult to look at so, of course, Microsoft is not motivated to include properly working screen savers on Windows 8.

I use Ribbons but it recently started hanging so I switched to Mystify and it has been working ok but there are only 7 screensavers included with Win 8.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1

Click for full size
said by Mele20:

Besides that Microsoft evidently knows nothing about SSDs because I have a 256GB SSD and moved everything like photos, my documents, email, etc. to my 2TB Data drive. Photo Gallery is hard coded to the C drive location for photos.

So let me recap. You have a 256 GB SSD which is your C drive, a 2 TB HDD which is your D drive and you moved My Docs, Pics, Music, Vids et al off of the C drive on to the D drive and your blaming Windows 8 because the Photo Gallery screensaver does not work because you believe it is hard coded to only look on the C drive? Could you please tell me what I am missing?
--
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA!
Hussein Obama 0, American Public 1
Repeal 0bamacare Now!/Marriage = Man + Woman

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

1 recommendation

Heh. The vast majority of my photos are on a networked WHS but Windows 8 and Photo Gallery have no issues with that either...
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Besides that Microsoft evidently knows nothing about SSDs because I have a 256GB SSD and moved everything like photos, my documents, email, etc. to my 2TB Data drive. Photo Gallery is hard coded to the C drive location for photos. Besides, before I moved Photos to the D drive, Photo Gallery would get hung very frequently so I couldn't use it.

I did not have this problem once the screensaver was setup correctly.
I to moved pic to the D: drive but just added the folder to the Pictures Library.
But the real problem with the Screensaver program built into window8 is that it will only look in the one folder you can set it to, it will not find any pics in folders under that folder. So all your pic must be in one folder. I have a large collection and put the many files in 100's of folders and only the base folder files are used. It would be nice if it could recurse the folder and find the rest of the files.