spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nameless

@pppoe.ca

Rogers new speed and prices

Did anybody notice that Rogers have new speeds and prices on their website?

kanatamike

join:2013-07-19
Kanata, ON
kudos:1
Are you talking about the top two plans, 250 Mb and 350 Mb? They're available in a VERY limited area. I don't see any significant change in the price of the other packages.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
The thing is, they seem to have ditched the 150/10 plan...

now there's even an even bigger gap. Idiots...

But at least there is a decent cap with the 250/20 package... 1TB...

not available in my area yet.
--

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
150/10 is still availability. Hit up the availability checker for the ultimate tier, it'll tell you your area is not available but then recommend the lower tier. Ultimate Fibre of course is a completely different tier in GPON fibre areas so it won't recommend anything there.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

1 recommendation

A tariff was just submitted for that speed. It needs a special d3 modem but none are certified
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

All existing tiers are still there
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Khicken

@teksavvy.com
I did get a letter last week from Rogers offering me a 300 gig package.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
For what speed?

It would be interesting to see if your neighbours received the same offer.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

The Flash
Go Leafs Go
Premium
join:2002-10-17
Toronto, ON
reply to Nameless
Most likely the $45 35/3 300GB package they have been advertising to new customers.

Nameless

@pppoe.ca
reply to kanatamike
I guess for heavy users the top two tiers are suitable choice, provided one is willing to dish out over $150 a month (including taxes). Again, why a person needs that amount of bandwidth as home user unless doing nothing except gaming/ NetflixING.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
reply to kanatamike
said by kanatamike:

Are you talking about the top two plans, 250 Mb and 350 Mb? They're available in a VERY limited area. I don't see any significant change in the price of the other packages.

I would think the 250/20 would be widely available. It's just the 150/10 plan upgraded and given more cap. The 350/350 is fibre, it'll be extremely limited in terms of availability.

Amou

join:2011-01-29
Guelph, ON
reply to Nameless
They are at 350 now? Is it too hopeful to think that once they get that in most general areas that they will decrease prices of other tiers? =p

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to The Mongoose
said by The Mongoose:

said by kanatamike:

I would think the 250/20 would be widely available. It's just the 150/10 plan upgraded and given more cap. The 350/350 is fibre, it'll be extremely limited in terms of availability.

The 250/20 isn't widely available yet.. Many areas aren't ready for it, hense the availability checker.

Amou: 350 is Fiber to the home.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

rainor94

join:2009-03-05
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to Nameless
said by Nameless :

I guess for heavy users the top two tiers are suitable choice, provided one is willing to dish out over $150 a month (including taxes). Again, why a person needs that amount of bandwidth as home user unless doing nothing except gaming/ NetflixING.

Gaming or Netflix don't need high bandwidth. There are uses for the speed (cloud, file transfers to servers, etc) but in the end it is too expensive.

dm1336

join:2011-08-07
Scarborough, ON
reply to Nameless
How long has this one been out?

30down, 10 up, 500gb cap
$51.99/mo + modem rental

That is straight off the Rogers website for my postal code and not a special flyer in the mail...

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
said by dm1336:

How long has this one been out?

30down, 10 up, 500gb cap
$51.99/mo + modem rental

That is straight off the Rogers website for my postal code and not a special flyer in the mail...

Top bar, beside "Hey! Sign In / Register ", change NL to ON (Ontario). Thats Newfoundland pricing only.

250/20 was introduced Dec 4th
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

dm1336

join:2011-08-07
Scarborough, ON
I had a feeling it was too good to be true.. LOL
Weird that it still showed it after I entered my postal code though.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Nameless
They raised the speed, doubled the cap but kept the price the same. I'm sure Marc can comment better here but it would seem to me even if a new modem with higher channel bonding is certified, will any TPIA provider be able to offer 250Mbps with an equivalent or larger cap at even the same retail price as Rogers?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
said by TypeS:

will any TPIA provider be able to offer 250Mbps with an equivalent or larger cap at even the same retail price as Rogers?

Obviously not, at Rogers proposed tariff rates

The CRTC did smack Bell around a bit in that recent decision:
»Re: CRTC 2013-80 Optional Upstream Speeds, DSL Modem Cert
But, I have no idea what the scope of those price adjustments really is, it could be that those massive reductions apply to only 10% of the total cost..
--
electronicsguru.ca

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
Even without the proposed tariff rate, I was thinking more along the lines of CBB costs. An extra 100Mbps and 1TB would be the same as unlimited to some (keyword: some), that would create a lot of traffic. A TPIA would have to gamble not too many would sign up for it and keep capacity where it is or raise capacity and have even the capped version priced pretty high.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

1 edit
said by TypeS:

Even without the proposed tariff rate,

Ya.. I don't know, at $22/month for the line, and a $125 monthly fee, 1TB is probably a close call.

Once you start getting faster speeds, the raw speed doesn't really matter very much. For example, by quick and error prone calculation, 37mbit/s times 2 hours per day times 30 days is 1TB. 37mbit/s costs a little more than $500. So.. I think Cable 35 and above all have about the same CBB cost risk at the 1TB usage level.

Not that it is anything new, but damned that capacity price is an ugly number
--
electronicsguru.ca

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
said by Teddy Boom:

Not that it is anything new, but damned that capacity price is an ugly number

^ This - that CBB crap paints an ugly picture for TPIA's nearly doubles the cost or I'd be on 150/10 right now. I just can't justify spending $248 a month for that. And just how much do you extropolate 250/20 would be eh? Damn scary if you ask me.

I think I'll sit tight with my 45/4 UL - its been sweet - no need to twitch for wanting more right now.
--

!- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -!
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

But at least there is a decent cap with the 250/20 package... 1TB...

It isn't for the speed that it is.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to The Mongoose
said by The Mongoose:

They probably haven't rolled out the additional downstream channels required for the service to all the cable nodes. It isn't as simple as you have described it.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to rainor94
said by rainor94:

Gaming or Netflix don't need high bandwidth. There are uses for the speed (cloud, file transfers to servers, etc) but in the end it is too expensive.

There are uses, but with only 1TB it wouldn't be of much use.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by 34764170:

It isn't for the speed that it is.

said by 34764170:

There are uses, but with only 1TB it wouldn't be of much use.

For some yes, for some not. You're making an grand assumption here that just because the internet is faster you will download more in proportion.

While that may be true for some or very high occupant homes, its not for others. I wager on 1TB being lots for many. I myself pushed 400~500GB on unlimited and that only bursting 45Mbps now and then, I didn't constantly use the full speed every day.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to mlerner
said by mlerner:

150/10 is still availability. Hit up the availability checker for the ultimate tier, it'll tell you your area is not available but then recommend the lower tier. Ultimate Fibre of course is a completely different tier in GPON fibre areas so it won't recommend anything there.

Yeah, but what a gyp. If you can't get 250/20 1TB, they offer 150/10 250GB for the same price...

Tell me where that makes any sense...
--

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
Because the infrastructure is not yet in place to support those speeds except for a few areas, also requires a new modem since more channels are required. Same thing almost every time they launched a new ultimate tier.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
Yeah i get it... but how is this gonna be relevant for TPIA... rogers charges the same CBB regardless of how many channels your modem is using...

This should be brought up to the CRTC, once this is more widely deployed... If rogers can afford to give a user 1TB for $125, I don't even want to know how much that would cost a TPIA ISP in CBB usage...

Rogers obviously doesnt charge itself CBB, and since that shit is made up inflated crap, its way anti-competitive.
--

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
Perhaps but that's the way in general the costing has been done. I don't think any TPIA provider will be offering it anytime soon even if the pricing dropped since they are limited by the interconnect speeds and billed for peak usage.