uniqs
share rss forum feed

kanatamike

join:2013-07-19
Kanata, ON
kudos:1
reply to Nameless

Re: Rogers new speed and prices

Are you talking about the top two plans, 250 Mb and 350 Mb? They're available in a VERY limited area. I don't see any significant change in the price of the other packages.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
The thing is, they seem to have ditched the 150/10 plan...

now there's even an even bigger gap. Idiots...

But at least there is a decent cap with the 250/20 package... 1TB...

not available in my area yet.
--

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
150/10 is still availability. Hit up the availability checker for the ultimate tier, it'll tell you your area is not available but then recommend the lower tier. Ultimate Fibre of course is a completely different tier in GPON fibre areas so it won't recommend anything there.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

1 recommendation

A tariff was just submitted for that speed. It needs a special d3 modem but none are certified
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

All existing tiers are still there
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Khicken

@teksavvy.com
I did get a letter last week from Rogers offering me a 300 gig package.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
For what speed?

It would be interesting to see if your neighbours received the same offer.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Nameless

@pppoe.ca
reply to kanatamike
I guess for heavy users the top two tiers are suitable choice, provided one is willing to dish out over $150 a month (including taxes). Again, why a person needs that amount of bandwidth as home user unless doing nothing except gaming/ NetflixING.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
reply to kanatamike
said by kanatamike:

Are you talking about the top two plans, 250 Mb and 350 Mb? They're available in a VERY limited area. I don't see any significant change in the price of the other packages.

I would think the 250/20 would be widely available. It's just the 150/10 plan upgraded and given more cap. The 350/350 is fibre, it'll be extremely limited in terms of availability.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
said by The Mongoose:

said by kanatamike:

I would think the 250/20 would be widely available. It's just the 150/10 plan upgraded and given more cap. The 350/350 is fibre, it'll be extremely limited in terms of availability.

The 250/20 isn't widely available yet.. Many areas aren't ready for it, hense the availability checker.

Amou: 350 is Fiber to the home.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

rainor94

join:2009-03-05
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to Nameless
said by Nameless :

I guess for heavy users the top two tiers are suitable choice, provided one is willing to dish out over $150 a month (including taxes). Again, why a person needs that amount of bandwidth as home user unless doing nothing except gaming/ NetflixING.

Gaming or Netflix don't need high bandwidth. There are uses for the speed (cloud, file transfers to servers, etc) but in the end it is too expensive.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

But at least there is a decent cap with the 250/20 package... 1TB...

It isn't for the speed that it is.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to The Mongoose
said by The Mongoose:

They probably haven't rolled out the additional downstream channels required for the service to all the cable nodes. It isn't as simple as you have described it.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to rainor94
said by rainor94:

Gaming or Netflix don't need high bandwidth. There are uses for the speed (cloud, file transfers to servers, etc) but in the end it is too expensive.

There are uses, but with only 1TB it wouldn't be of much use.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by 34764170:

It isn't for the speed that it is.

said by 34764170:

There are uses, but with only 1TB it wouldn't be of much use.

For some yes, for some not. You're making an grand assumption here that just because the internet is faster you will download more in proportion.

While that may be true for some or very high occupant homes, its not for others. I wager on 1TB being lots for many. I myself pushed 400~500GB on unlimited and that only bursting 45Mbps now and then, I didn't constantly use the full speed every day.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to mlerner
said by mlerner:

150/10 is still availability. Hit up the availability checker for the ultimate tier, it'll tell you your area is not available but then recommend the lower tier. Ultimate Fibre of course is a completely different tier in GPON fibre areas so it won't recommend anything there.

Yeah, but what a gyp. If you can't get 250/20 1TB, they offer 150/10 250GB for the same price...

Tell me where that makes any sense...
--

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
Because the infrastructure is not yet in place to support those speeds except for a few areas, also requires a new modem since more channels are required. Same thing almost every time they launched a new ultimate tier.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
Yeah i get it... but how is this gonna be relevant for TPIA... rogers charges the same CBB regardless of how many channels your modem is using...

This should be brought up to the CRTC, once this is more widely deployed... If rogers can afford to give a user 1TB for $125, I don't even want to know how much that would cost a TPIA ISP in CBB usage...

Rogers obviously doesnt charge itself CBB, and since that shit is made up inflated crap, its way anti-competitive.
--

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
Perhaps but that's the way in general the costing has been done. I don't think any TPIA provider will be offering it anytime soon even if the pricing dropped since they are limited by the interconnect speeds and billed for peak usage.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to TypeS
said by TypeS:

For some yes, for some not. You're making an grand assumption here that just because the internet is faster you will download more in proportion.

And for many that is true. This isn't a lot even for lower speed tiers. It becomes that much easier to blast through that much data with such a high speed connection and that isn't an assumption; it's a fact. This is the same kind of nonsense as how things are playing out with smartphones.

said by TypeS:

While that may be true for some or very high occupant homes, its not for others. I wager on 1TB being lots for many. I myself pushed 400~500GB on unlimited and that only bursting 45Mbps now and then, I didn't constantly use the full speed every day.

And it's also not a lot for many as well. The situation isn't black and white but it also isn't only with one type of usage.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Yeah, but what a gyp. If you can't get 250/20 1TB, they offer 150/10 250GB for the same price...

Tell me where that makes any sense...

They did the same thing with 75 / 150. For most users it wouldn't really matter. What matters more so is receiving consistent speed even at peak hours instead of 250 sometimes and slower speed a lot of the time.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

This should be brought up to the CRTC, once this is more widely deployed... If rogers can afford to give a user 1TB for $125, I don't even want to know how much that would cost a TPIA ISP in CBB usage...

1TB is very little. It averages out to 3Mbps over the month. If Rogers really had issues with that they wouldn't offer it. That would cost them a few dollars max.

said by HiVolt:

Rogers obviously doesnt charge itself CBB, and since that shit is made up inflated crap, its way anti-competitive.

The rates the CRTC signed off on were inflated by a lot. But CBB also isn't as much of an issue when you're a provider as big as Rogers is. A small few high speed users would mix in with the rest of the lower speed tiers.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to mlerner
said by mlerner:

Perhaps but that's the way in general the costing has been done. I don't think any TPIA provider will be offering it anytime soon even if the pricing dropped since they are limited by the interconnect speeds and billed for peak usage.

Yeah, except rogers prior tiers including 150/10 always had low enough caps to not even make people bother... But 1TB is quite generous, considering there is NO price increase for going from 150/10 to 250/20 for Rogers users. They're not introducing a new tier.

This should make for an interesting argument, that Rogers TPIA CBB pricing is way out of left field.
--

Etobicoke, ON
said by HiVolt:

This should make for an interesting argument, that Rogers TPIA CBB pricing is way out of left field.

It was already out in left field as it is. It is already a joke to offer service even with the existing 150 Mb speed tier.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by 34764170:

said by HiVolt:

It was already out in left field as it is. It is already a joke to offer service even with the existing 150 Mb speed tier.

I know... but this just puts it out into space, lol...
--

Nameless

@pppoe.ca
reply to 34764170
One question that I have difficulty to understand:

If CRTC has approved CBB, then why user based charges varies for different tiers. To be specific, for all tiers user charge fee to TPIA should be fixed, 25/2, 35/3,....250/20, regardless. Because higher tiers pay more on CBB.
Fixed user charges are fixed charges that occurs regardless of user uses any bandwidth for not, that was the definition Rogers give to CRTC, and CBB was varying charges that occurs when a user uses the "pipes" to pass the data. So, CRTC is in fault for allowing Rogers to charge more for higher tiers per user charge, since CBB should cover those expenses based on CBB.

Anon1122

@terago.net
reply to TypeS
I currently have the 150/10 plan with rogers on 70% discount, once I heard about this 250/20 I immediately called them to increase my cap and all they said I needed to do was to get the newer 12$ a month modem which i also get 70% discount on so I said sure. My caps are now 250/20 I know on the website it says 1TB usage but when I checked my account online it shows data usage as unlimited.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

If rogers can afford to give a user 1TB for $125, I don't even want to know how much that would cost a TPIA ISP in CBB usage...

Even 10TB does not necessarily cost ISPs anything if it all happens off-peak.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
said by InvalidError:

Even 10TB does not necessarily cost ISPs anything if it all happens off-peak.

I'd love to hear more from TekSavvy (and Start for that matter) about how the unlimited overnight thing is working. My expectation is that hours could be extended to noon fairly easily.. Then again, it might not accomplish much.. You can download a lot of TB between 2am and 8am at 250mbit/s
--
electronicsguru.ca

Khicken

@teksavvy.com
Another junk mail today ... It's the Extreme package Rogers are offering 300 gigs for. $45/month.