join:2002-03-13
India

1 edit

locke108

Premium Member

[OS X] {HELP} Dual booting Lion with Snow Leopard

I've a 6 year old 2007 intel Mac mini.

I'm running Lion on it.

I had issues with RAM recently which lead to RAM going from 2 GB to 1 GB.

Thi lead to severe performance degradation.

I'm thinking of installing Snow Leoapard on another partition on the Hard Drive.

Can I do that? If yes, how do I do that?

Will there be any issues trying to install & run an older version of OSX on the same hard drive?

Also, will the latest version of itunes run on it?

I know the best thing to do is to install more RAM, but the 2007 Mac mini is a nightmare to open & do that kind of stuff. I'm afraid of breaking something if I do it myself. Also, I'm not even sure if I could get that model of RAM anymore.

Any suggestions/comments/insights would be most helpful.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

No idea on the dual boot.

I had and still have one of those. I am using my new Mini now. I had the same problem on the old Mini, running out of RAM. Do you only have 1 GB? How have you survived? Those will take 4 (2 x 2GB ) but it will only see 3 GB.

I would run Memory Clean to keep an eye on how much was available and then let it clean. You can get much the same effect by running purge in the terminal.
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to locke108

to locke108
all you need to do is create another partition and install 10.6 on that. to switch between them just hold down the option key at boot.

locke108
Premium Member
join:2002-03-13
India

locke108

Premium Member

Ok thanks.

I was apprehensive if the two different versions would play nice with each other.

What I'm hoping is that the 10.6 install goes smoothly & if I'm satisfied with the results I'll delete the Lion install to recover space.